What's new

Should the Jazz Punt Game 2?

5ded164f6ab65f432e9b5dc5abec4bd3.jpg

Joe-DiMaggio-win-quotes.jpg

0b6228d8937d5668ae534d13115e555b--joe-dimaggio-sport-quotes.jpg
898943-Joe-DiMaggio-Quote-Motivation-is-something-nobody-else-can-give.jpg

Mitchell said this is the most pain he has ever tried to play with.

So we should sit him and just not play the game to win. That's what you original idea was.

Whether he plays or not, you suggested we sit and "punt" which means give up.

My math on that is 100% accurate.

So we should sit him and just not play the game to win. That's what you original idea was.

Damn, I kinda look good next to that. Cy is like my fat friend who makes me look skinny.

Punting doesn't mean try to lose or dont try to win.
punts happen in every football game in history. When a team punts they usually do so to try to win the game cause going for it on 4th down decreases the chances of winning more than the punt does.

I read the op as "would it be better to rest donovan tonight so he can be fully healthy for the rest of the series?" I didn't take it to mean "should we intentionally lose tonight just for funsies?"

punts happen in every football game in history. When a team punts they usually do so to try to win the game cause going for it on 4th down decreases the chances of winning more than the punt does.

I read the op as "would it be better to rest donovan tonight so he can be fully healthy for the rest of the series?" I didn't take it to mean "should we intentionally lose tonight just for funsies?"
To further the analogy, punting puts the team into a defensive possession. By not playing Mitchell you would have to rely on defense to win the game. Get a pick 6 or some ****.

I'm shocked that you of all people Fish would let him off the hook for this. You, and me and anyone with a brain knows what he meant. Don't play Mitchell, expect to lose and be ready for Game 3 at home. You guys going to bat for Cy on this one are like irrational helicopter parents who do anything blindly to back their kid. Well, your kid put up a dumb thread. It happens.

I'm shocked that you of all people Fish would let him off the hook for this. You, and me and anyone with a brain knows what he meant. Don't play Mitchell, expect to lose and be ready for Game 3 at home. You guys going to bat for Cy on this one are like irrational helicopter parents who do anything blindly to back their kid. Well, your kid put up a dumb thread. It happens.
Fish is a real one and recognizes a real one.

When you punt you surrender your chance to score on that possession. Yes, it's done for strategic reason with the ultimate goal of winning the game (although, I was listening to a thing a while back and teams punt WAY WAY WAY more than they should.) but it is giving up on that particular drive and giving the other team possession. Cy used the analogy as if individual playoff games were the same as drives in football. They aren't. Punting an NBA game would mean giving the other team the win, surrendering our opportunity to score a game in the series.

Yeah, we're all just arguing semantics on a ill-fitting cross sport analogy, but whatever. The way CY used the term and Cy's thread title are DAF.

I have nothing against you, and nothing aligning me with Cy, but honestly your remarks in this thread are coming off as a kind of desperate grasping at a perceived opportunity to deride someone who was mean to you on the Internet. I don't think it's coming off in the way you think/hope it is to impartial readers.

Cy's point really isn't at all outrageous, and it's a valid question. It's also totally valid to weigh in with a 'no', even a strongly-opinionated 'no', but there's nothing about the question that is in any way unreasonable.

I have nothing against you, and nothing aligning me with Cy, but honestly your remarks in this thread are coming off as a kind of desperate grasping at a perceived opportunity to deride someone who was mean to you on the Internet. I don't think it's coming off in the way you think/hope it is to impartial readers.

Cy's point really isn't at all outrageous, and it's a valid question. It's also totally valid to weigh in with a 'no', even a strongly-opinionated 'no', but there's nothing about the question that is in any way unreasonable.

I'm sorry you see it that way. It's not personal. It's strictly pointing out the hypocritical world where Cy is choosing to reside currently. Cy takes cheaps shots a people all the time for what he perceives to be "idiotic" comments or threads. Ironically enough, he just posted the most idiotic thread of 2018 and probably longer. Instead of just owning it and moving on, he is shamelessly defending his idiotic thread.

Wait people read this thread as anything other than just resting Donovan in hopes he could be fully healthy in games 3-7?

You guys actually thought that Cy wanted to purposely lose? That thought crossing your mind didn’t throw up any red flags?

Thread is weird.

Right. My argument is that there is significant enough ambiguity about the language that Cy could have forestalled a lot of pushback by using different language, or by conceding that using "punt" is ambiguous enough to confuse more than one poster on the board. Instead, he was defensive, and even though he had a case to be made, there was enough linguistic breakdown that he could have just said "ok, let's not use the word punt."

It's not worth discussing anymore. Let's go do our best to win this game tonight with our without Donovan.