What's new

SI Top 100 Players (100-31 so far)

Horford also has tremendous value on offense... 40% plus three point shooter... fantastic screen setter... great passer. He has low volume and can't get a shot for himself unless it is on a post up.

This list is about one year production too... so they may have accounted for Kyrie missing some games.

If the list is about one year production than why are Irving and Hayward even ranked? They both missed last year with injuries. I don't get Hayward at all, he got hurt in the first game and he is ranked this high. Seems like bias media giving Hayward credit for moving to Boston.

If the list is about one year production than why are Irving and Hayward even ranked? They both missed last year with injuries. I don't get Hayward at all, he got hurt in the first game and he is ranked this high. Seems like bias media giving Hayward credit for moving to Boston.

It’s for next year

Yes, neither of them play with Gobert. Mitchell had an ideal situation any legitimate 20+ ppg scorer would thrive in.

Without Mitchell, I’m not sure the jazz advance past OKC, I think the same is true for Gobert, but Mitchell put the team on his back a few times like any top star does, and was other worldly in that series, felt like his coming out as a star among stars.

Without Mitchell, I’m not sure the jazz advance past OKC, I think the same is true for Gobert, but Mitchell put the team on his back a few times like any top star does, and was other worldly in that series, felt like his coming out as a star among stars.

Agree... the confidence he showed in saying "we ain't coming back" then delivering was some superstar ish. He will be much higher next year. Looking at the list I think it's all fair. They put a premium on guys that have done it for multiple years... which is fair. End of the year looking back I think it will look like they were too low on some of the young guys.

Gobert not being top 10 is more egregious than Mitchell being 34 IMO.
But can a player with virtually zero offensive game be ranked as top 10? I mean his impact on the game is huge but lets not forget he got outplayed by Capela in Houston series. I think for Rudy to crack top 10 he needs to have at least reliable mid range jumper and a hook shot.

But can a player with virtually zero offensive game be ranked as top 10? I mean his impact on the game is huge but lets not forget he got outplayed by Capela in Houston series. I think for Rudy to crack top 10 he needs to have at least reliable mid range jumper and a hook shot.
He didnt get outplayed by Capela....

He does not need a midrange jumper at all.

He has been in the top ratings for offensive efficiency the past few season, and defensive. Here is a good article with a decent argument for Rudy to be a top 10 player. This is using 2016-2017 stats but overall his stats this last year were not that far off of these.

https://www.slcdunk.com/2017/7/23/1...st-center-defense-offense-statistics-mvp-dpoy

• Defensive Rating 99 - 1st in league
  • Offensive Rating 129 - 1st
  • Blocks 214 - 1st
  • True Shooting % .681 - 1st
  • Screen Assists 6.2 - 1st
  • Free Throw Rate .762 - 1st
  • Defensive FG% 43.8 - 1st
  • Total Win Shares 14.2 - 2nd
  • Effective FG% .661 - 2nd
  • VORP 5.4 - 8th
  • BPM 5.8 - 13th
  • PER 22.3 - 19th
In fact last year Rudy was #2 in defensive rating (0.5 behind drummond at 99.0) and 14th in offensive rating (122). Both in line with where he has been the past few years. He was 3rd in true shooting % at .657. Of course he is toward the top of most of the defensive stats last season, as well as in the mix for rebounding and such.

I am not sure I think he is a top 10 player personally, but an argument can be made, due to his impact on the game mostly.

Rudy is very impactful on offense. He can't create by himself but neither can Capela. Rudy's screens and uber high efficiency on offense are keys to our offense. His rolls attract a ton of attention. The volume is low but it still has a huge impact.

Capela benefits from a spread floor and working with Paul and Harden. Swap Ricky or Royce for one of those guys in the starting lineup and see how the other guy looks.

Rose colored glasses up in here. Gobert did get outplayed by Compela. But I wouldn’t say Compela is a better player. He just outplayed Gobert that series.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Reactions: MVP
Gobert did not get outplayed by Capela. The Rockets were able to hit their midrange jumpers in that series (something that they didn't do a high rate during the season). So Gobert was forced to go out and contest the midrange/perimeter more often. That allowed Capela to get easy dunks, rebounds, putbacks when our defensive rotations were late (Due in part to Rubio being out). Basically, the Rockets just played really good basketball and Capela's job was made easy because of Harden/Paul. I'm tired of hearing Gobert was outplayed or "exposed" by Capela from NBA fans. Simply not true. Gobert did his job. The Rockets just outplayed the Jazz.

Some fool argued with Tony Jones on twitter over Gobert. Basically has him as like the 7th best center at best. Called him completely irrelevant on offense and said that he’s only a shot blocking big who can dunk. And that the NBA has tons of those lmfao.

Some fool argued with Tony Jones on twitter over Gobert. Basically has him as like the 7th best center at best. Called him completely irrelevant on offense and said that he’s only a shot blocking big who can dunk. And that the NBA has tons of those lmfao.
NBA Fandom can be so strange. Does any other sport have the problem of fans vastly under rating players simply because they don't understand the game they are watching?

NBA Fandom can be so strange. Does any other sport have the problem of fans vastly under rating players simply because they don't understand the game they are watching?

I think part of it is people not seeing him (or the jazz) very much so they just check box scores and they see 12 points and 12 rebounds and 2 blocks in 33 minutes and they instantly think he is average. I bet if I lived somewhere else and was a fan of a different team and only watched their games I would underrate Rudy too as a casual fan.

Gobert did not get outplayed by Capela..

As much as I love Rudy - Capela got better of him. Rudy was outrebounded, outblocked and outscored by Capela. Not sure if he had no legs or was too tired but Rudy was a shadow of a Rudy we know he could be in that series and Capela was a big part of it. Rudy had better stats than Capela only in one game - game 5 which was a blowout loss.

Last edited:

He should also add a three-pointer off-the-bounce to his toolkit, and why not a sick crossover? How about a Harden step-back 3? Sky is the limit, yo.

He should also add a three-pointer off-the-bounce to his toolkit, and why not a sick crossover? How about a Harden step-back 3? Sky is the limit, yo.

Honestly just forget that defense stuff... gotta focus on what's hot. I expect him to be a primary ball handler in the PnR and to shoot 10 threes a game at a minimum. Anyone can set a thousand picks, dunk, and be a constant presence in the paint while still recovering to get the rebounds... it soooooooooooo easy tbh.