Sltrib: Jazz: Williams and his frustrations

VINYLONE

Bringin' the diversity!
Contributor
SOURCE

Jazz: Williams and his frustrations

Published on Oct 29, 2010 12:26AM 1 Comments

You have to admire Deron Williams.

His ability to play the point. His competitiveness. His want to win.

Williams has always played with a chip on his shoulder. And he's never been one to shy away from getting into the fact of a teammate.

As a point guard, that's what he should do. It's his job. But there's always a fine line, and tonight he crossed it against the Phoenix Suns.

Williams very publicly, very loudly, dressed down Jazz rookie Gordon Hayward, because the first year player failed to go through on the baseline. Basketball wise, Hayward was clearly in the wrong. His job on that play was to clear out so Williams could play two man basketball with Al Jefferson.

But Williams' response was wildly uncalled for. He screamed at Hayward loud enough for the entire building to hear as the Jazz went into the huddle for a timeout. Jerry Sloan immediately had a few choice words for Williams, and Jefferson could be seen counseling Hayward as the team exited the huddle.

Arguements between teammates happen. And predictably, all parties put on a happy face for the media following the game.

"It was just a miscommunication," Hayward said.

"We're cool," Williams said. "Just because I yell at someone doesn't mean I'm mad at them."
So all is good.

Maybe not.

The larger issue is Williams. This is his team to lead now. There's no Carlos Boozer there, wrestling for alpha dog status. Williams is the face of the franchise, and everyone knows it. The Utah Jazz this season will go as far as Williams takes it, and everyone knows it.

As such, Williams has to be the kind of leader everyone looks up to. Dressing down a rookie, playing his second pro game, in such a humiliating fashion, isn't the best way to be the kind of leader the Jazz need.

Williams admitted he was frustrated at his lack of success. In fact, he said he "hunted" for 12 shots, which isn't good when an offense like this is supposed to flow. But taking that frustration out on Hayward wasn't the right move. With 80 games remaining, this will likely blow over.

But the next step in Williams' evolution is as a leader.

All Jazz fans can hope is that the best player on the team has learned from his actions tonight.
Tony Jones

Not surprising. Williams has the balls to scream at a 20 year old kid but doesn't have the leadership or balls to the men on his team. He's a joke.

Yeah... I thought Hayward's play last night was better than any of his preseason games. I know.. he only scored 6 points, but he had 3 blocks and showed some sexy defensive pressure.

Deron has not been stellar himself in the first two games. Until he is playing a bit better himself, he should lead by example, not humiliation.

I was a bit taken back at DWill's outburst, the bullet pass of frustration wasn't cool at all. Something's been bothering him, I swear. He just doesn't look right out there.

Deron Williams may be feeling the weight of being the official team captain. My impression of him is he's sort of a private guy; not real outgoing, or real at ease with the media. Hopefully he'll evolve into the leader we need at this point.
I would like us to have a leader on that 2nd unit. From what we've seen so far, there isn't one; not good.

I bet that injury hurts him more than he lets on, and it is affecting his shot.
The team is still out of sync, but dont jump out of the Kool-aid pitcher just yet.
I know we lost 2 Must-Win games, but there are still 80 Must-Win games to go.
I know its crazy, but we just might be able to recover from this.

I don't know what to think. I mean, at first I didnt mind the outburst, but after this article I dont know what to think. The article is a good article and I dont have a problem with it.

I'm fine with it. If you want everyone to hug and like each other then college basketball will be starting in a few weeks. Jerry doesn't seem to be as tough about it anymore but I'm glad Deron's sending a message to the young guys that if you don't know the offense there's going to be a problem. Patience is one thing, but if you keep letting it slide and saying "it just takes time" one of these days you'll wake up and it'll be January and you'll be 20 games out of first place.

Deron Williams is turning into Kobe Bryant, except Kobe Bryant can take over games and win championships.

I dont necessarily agree with that, but I understand what you're trying to say. That said winning a championship is not based on individual play. It's based on team played. I mean, this is basketball, not tennis.

another post that shows the lack of class from the fanbase that has the least amount of class. Again jaZz fans show how much you really know. Just like d fisher is a bad guy to yall. When deron is leading jazz past first round again and starts playing at a high level again yall stay off the bandwagon. I hope deron jams as soon as he can. Im tired of rooting for jazz. Dwill knows just as much as most that hayward was a wasted pick.

Why doesn't he yell at CJ?

Hayward screwed up on one play in his 2nd NBA game. So he made one mistake in a game where he did a lot of good.

CJ is screwing up throughout entire games in his 5th NBA season. So he's done literally nothing good in games full of mistakes.

His 1-5 shot where he got stuffed was something that even rookies don't make.