What's new

Smartphones to replace computers soon

There is more to 4G than just speed. You can use data and voice at the same time, get higher quality video and audio streams, way better video chats, slingbox, navigation loads better, tethering, remote desktop, and if I'm (you're) already paying for it, might as well use it.

Even though the plan is cheaper than Verizon out AT&T, it is still $10 more per month than a Sprint plan that doesn't include 4G.

Yes, it is way faster than 3G (my 3G is typically around 500 k download, 100 k upload, 4G is typically around 4 meg download and 1 meg upload). But there is a lot more to it than just getting a web page 2 seconds faster.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.

There is more to 4G speed. You can use data and voice at the same time, get higher quality video and audio streams, and way better video chats.

Yes, it is way faster than 3G (my 3G is typically around 500 k download, 100 k upload, 4G is typically around 4 meg download and 1 meg upload). But there is a lot more to it than just getting a web page 2 seconds faster.

Yes, but if you would have read my post you would have learned that I don't do all that stuff on my phone...and I'm guessing there are a lot of people like me in that respect.

Yes, but if you would have read my post you would have learned that I don't do all that stuff on my phone...and I'm guessing there are a lot of people like me in that respect.
If you don't use 4G, then why pay extra for it? There are tons of phones that do everything a 3G only Evo can do.

Just read my original post, it will answer all your questions. 4G drains battery as well. Just because you don't use 4G all the time or even every day doesn't mean it isn't nice to have...especially when many 3G plans are comparable in price (without discount) anyways.

Just read my original post, it will answer all your questions. 4G drains battery as well. Just because you don't use 4G all the time or even every day doesn't mean it isn't nice to have...especially when many 3G plans are comparable in price (without discount) anyways.
My point is, Sprint charges an extra $10 per month for 4G, whether you use it or not. They (Sprint) have plenty of phones that don't have 4G but do everything else the Evo does. Whatever discount you have on your 4G plan would also apply to the cheaper 3G plan.

It does drain the battery, no question about that. I keep spares in my car and backpack. You can get them 2 for $10 on ebay and they come with a charger.

I don't even own a cell phone and I program web sites and business tools for a living. In fact, I meet with various clients around the valley for meetings to gather business. Sounds like not having a cell phone is really slowing me down...

People act as if having a beacon for people to call and annoy you at all times is something to be proud of. But, dude! I need to be able to text somebody at any given minute and tell them about my day!

Cue the ignorant "go back to your cave" comments, as if having a phone is going to aid me in any way, or that you're cooler for wasting money on something you don't need.

And anybody saying computers will be obsolete clearly does not know what they are talking about. When people can use immensely powerful software, program, harness and control employees at a desk and secure their work environment with phones rather than computers, then hell will have frozen over. In reality, it won't happen.

Wasn't e-mail supposed to make paper obsolete?

Still waiting for the laptop to become obsolete.

Any day now.

And there were tons of laptops announced at CES, right? Oh wait...

The laptop is well on its way to being obsolete. As you can see in the first post, the soon to be released AT&T smartphone makes buying a laptop pretty pointless. And it is only the first of many such devices that will hit the market in the near future.

Wait wut?

https://www.zdnet.com/blog/computer...-join-growing-intel-sandy-bridge-brigade/4731

https://www.zdnet.com/blog/computer...per-sleek-9-series-ultra-portable-laptop/4722

https://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-...ads-Tablet-Hybrids-Appear-at-CES-2011-732205/

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374809,00.asp

There's always big news for laptops during the Consumer Electronics Show, and this year is no different. From processor updates to 3D technology, these are exciting times for the mobile PC market. Read on for what to expect in laptops in the coming year.

Netbook Aren't Going Away
Tablets may have been getting the lion's share of attention this past year, but don't put netbooks out to pasture just yet. This coming year, netbooks will continue to charge forward until tablets can prove their staying power. AMD, of all companies, is leading this charge with its APUs, promising an overall performance improvement without sacrificing battery life. They'll be pitched as low-cost ultraportables, but the target is really the netbook market, which has been owned by the Intel Atom. Intel, of course, is still a big presence in the netbook space, and you'll see plenty of netbooks that'll launch with the dual core Atom.

The laptop is well on its way to being obsolete. As you can see in the first post, the soon to be released AT&T smartphone makes buying a laptop pretty pointless. And it is only the first of many such devices that will hit the market in the near future.

I guess huge flat screen televisions will become obsolete too because at some point people will be able to stream live tv right to their phones?

Does anybody else feel like Salty's arguments are seeded in trying to justify a habit of purchasing ludicrous cell phones only because of the hype they get?

Does anybody else feel like Salty's arguments are seeded in trying to justify a habit of purchasing ludicrous cell phones only because of the hype they get?

I like his batteries are cheap and I carry 5 on me at all times argument. His e-***** is huge!

This is exactly how I feel. That and the fact that he can't admit when he's wrong just like in homer Ute posts.

Laptops will never be obsolete. No one wants to come home and fiddle around on some tiny object whose screen is a third of the size (at best) of their laptop. There's no enjoyment in the experience then. It becomes work.

I don't even own a cell phone and I program web sites and business tools for a living. In fact, I meet with various clients around the valley for meetings to gather business. Sounds like not having a cell phone is really slowing me down...

People act as if having a beacon for people to call and annoy you at all times is something to be proud of. But, dude! I need to be able to text somebody at any given minute and tell them about my day!

Cue the ignorant "go back to your cave" comments, as if having a phone is going to aid me in any way, or that you're cooler for wasting money on something you don't need.

And anybody saying computers will be obsolete clearly does not know what they are talking about. When people can use immensely powerful software, program, harness and control employees at a desk and secure their work environment with phones rather than computers, then hell will have frozen over. In reality, it won't happen.

Wasn't e-mail supposed to make paper obsolete?
For starters, just because you have a job doesn't mean you aren't holding yourself back.

But your first 7 words of the first sentence in the first paragraph kind of discredits any predictions you make about the future of the industry.

Yes, you can do all of that stuff with a smartphone. Especially if you have a server.

The average home user doesn't have a server, but they also don't do any of stuff you listed.

Like I said, there will always be the exception for someone doing things the average person doesn't do. But snartphones will absolutely render desktops and laptops obsolete for the average person in the near future.

That's why Microsoft announced Windows 8 will run on smartphones. They see it coming.

Watch the video in the first post and then come tell me why the average person would need a computer if they bought that phone.

So we had this discussion on the old board. You clowns that said I was wrong know who you are...

Anyway, check this phone out:
https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/motorola-atrix-4g-hd-multimedia-dock-and-laptop-dock-hands-on/

I told you it was coming. This is the first of many smartphones that will be as powerful (or more powerful) than you need for general computing. And all of the "2 inch screen, tiny keyboard" arguments are obsolete.

As if phones like that aren't enough, check this out:
https://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2011/jan11/01-05SOCsupport.mspx

So there will be phones running full blown Windows 8. That is basically Microsoft's way of saying computers as we know them will soon be dead to the average person.

Next up; the imminent comedy when all the iPhone fanboys that supposedly didn't care about 4G finally get a 4G iPhone and think it's the greatest thing ever.

I'm not sure how this post proves you were right. I still use my laptop just like 90% of the technologically fortunate.

Laptops will never be obsolete. No one wants to come home and fiddle around on some tiny object whose screen is a third of the size (at best) of their laptop. There's no enjoyment in the experience then. It becomes work.

I make a living off my laptop and work for people that own small businesses. No way in hell any of us would have a job if laptops/desktops didn't exist and phones were the only option. I obviously wouldn't have a job doing this about 10 or so years ago, either. When there's a market for it, it'll exist, and my market will never change as long as I continue to do what I do. Nevermind people like me being essential to the internet being what it is.