What's new

Smartphones to replace computers soon

Oh? What credits you? Following TV shows that only show the newest and trendiest devices? I'm in the real world, making use of real technology for the benefit of society. People like me make the internet work for businesses of all shapes and sizes. I couldn't work on a phone. I don't know how else to tell you that it'll never happen.

I can program on a tiny screen, multi-task and have the processing power to run several powerful applications at the same time without slowing me down? Um, wrong.

And besides, you just proved yourself wrong. "You could do that if you had a server..." so, what's a server? A computer? Hurrr.. way to contradict yourself. You should have said "you could do that without a computer if you had another computer to support yourself.. err uhhh".

FAIL.

The average person as in the person that doesn't need real computing power to do a job? How many people are there that use computers for their job that couldn't possibly be replaced with a phone? Or are you just considering yourself and not everyone else?

What it really sounds like is you like phones and you're jizzing your pants over some video about a new phone, and then twisting it into some fail argument that makes no sense because you have no perspective on how the world uses real-life technology.
So you do a bunch of stuff the average person doesn't? And therefore the average person could never get by without all the tools you use?

Lol! What credits me? For starters, I own a cell phone and am well aware of what it can and can't do. And I know there are people working (myself included) to make them do even more.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.

Nothing has changed? Lol! You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

The Android version of Angry Birds pulls in a million per month in revenue from ads. Are you telling me free smartphone apps have always got that much revenue from ads (which is based on the number of people using the app)?

Angry birds is so popular, god has been playing it in the south.

Why then do laptop sales continue to increase year over year?
Neither sales, nor usage of laptops, is increasing at anywhere near the rate of smartphone sales and usage.

Laptop sales are increasing primarily because desktop sales for home users are decreasing.

Nothing has changed? Lol! You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

The Android version of Angry Birds pulls in a million per month in revenue from ads. Are you telling me free smartphone apps have always got that much revenue from ads (which is based on the number of people using the app)?

I have to agree. It is pretty obvious that lots of people using an inane app is a direct and provable correlation to the demise of the computer, much akin to oxygen being necessary for human life to exist. I heard Dell has completely discontinued any and all computer production in favor of "app phones" with an Angry Bird OS, effective immediately. I went to Best Buy the other day and when I asked them to see their laptops they said "lahp.....toop? I have never heard of this thing of which you speak". Couldn't be any change over the last year more obviously directly connected to the end of the PC in this or any world of which we are aware than the success of Angry Birds to win over a gullible populace.

[/sarcasm]

Programming FOR smartphones, not ON smartphones. They still do their work from a real computer and couldn't work (efficiently) otherwise.

I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't have made that distinction.. I know you're not that dumb.
First of all, the average person doesn't do any programming at all.

Second of all, yes, you will absolutely be able to program using a smartphone in the near future.

Wait, before I do that, please answer my question above. Why do both U.S. and global laptop sales continue to increase year over year?
I answered it already. Because the average user has been replacing their desktop with a laptop for a while now.

But smartphones are growing at an even faster rate.

So, watch that video in the first post and then come tell me why someone would buy a laptop after buying that phone.

Has anyone said owning a smart-phone and owning a lap-top will have no correlation of canceling one product out and both sales will continue to increase? That's what I believe.

BTW, IMO tablets are more likely to effect the laptop market than smart-phones. If you don't believe me, scan through a couple of pages of www.gizmag.com and count how many companies are making them.

This goes beyond blatant obfuscation. It's plain ol lying. **** you Salty. I hope you don't have kids, because if you do, they're going to come out ****ed up like their Dad.

Trout completely understood what you said and how I completely blew your statement out of the water. You're a ****ing liar and I have completely the opposite opinion of you that KEK has. I think you're an ******* and a blatant liar.
I guess a **** you too is in order?

Neither sales, nor usage of laptops, is increasing at anywhere near the rate of smartphone sales and usage.

Laptop sales are increasing primarily because desktop sales for home users are decreasing.

So if laptop sales continue to increase, how are they on their way to being obsolete so soon? They're trending in the exact opposite direction.

Has anyone said owning a smart-phone and owning a lap-top will have no correlation of canceling one product out and both sales will continue to increase? That's what I believe.

BTW, IMO tablets are more likely to effect the laptop market than smart-phones. If you don't believe me, scan through a couple of pages of www.gizmag.com and count how many companies are making them.
Well I (and anyone else developing apps for them) consider tablets and smartphones to be one and the same. They run the same OS and have all the same form and features.

I answered it already. Because the average user has been replacing their desktop with a laptop for a while now.

But smartphones are growing at an even faster rate.

So, watch that video in the first post and then come tell me why someone would buy a laptop after buying that phone.

+1

Awesome.

So if laptop sales continue to increase, how are they on their way to being obsolete so soon? They're trending in the exact opposite direction.
They won't be in 4 years when the average person owns a phone similar to the one in the first post and the newer phones run full windows 8.

This really is simple: Just watch the video in the first post.
Seriously. Watch that video and then come tell me why the average person would buy a desktop or laptop after buying that phone.

And if that phone ran windows 8, why would anyone even argue this?

And there were tons of laptops announced at CES, right? Oh wait...

The laptop is well on its way to being obsolete. As you can see in the first post, the soon to be released AT&T smartphone makes buying a laptop pretty pointless. And it is only the first of many such devices that will hit the market in the near future.

So does anyone think there were tons of laptops announced at CES? If so, the number of tablets and smartphones must have been unfathomable. And yes, vinyl, I saw your link to the 5 or so that were announced. It doesn't change anything.

Seriously. Watch that video and then come tell me why the average person would buy a desktop or laptop after buying that phone.

And if that phone ran windows 8, why would anyone even argue this?

And I know for a fact that videos like that are never orchestrated to put the product in a good light. Never.

As soon as I see one running Word, Excel, Explorer and maybe a photoshop window or the like all at the same time I will buy into the possibility. For now it is a novelty. Also, Windows has long been rumored to be developing Windows 8 to run on different platforms in a "full-blown" version, which all along has meant more compact. When will the phone get scalable RAM? Can it match my 1.5 TB harddrive? If demand for external drives goes up to compensate for the phone lacking storage space, then there goes the price differential.

So the phone costs $500 (don't think it will be much less, even with a service plan - you think they will release the "PC Killer" and not capitalize on it?), the keyboard/mouse/docking station (if combo together) $100-200, the monitor $200-$500 or whatever you want to spend (not a lot different from now) and the external hard drive(s) $50-200 depending on what you need and now you are at $800 to $1200 range. Hardly an incentive to leave the laptop/desktop realm. Especially when $500 now will buy you a bundle with PC, keyboard/mouse, monitor, and software, all with processing power that will for a long time out-perform the phone. That is what they keep skimming over. No phone has processing power or RAM to run a full version of microsoft Word or other programs, forget even video or picture editing software.

Yes it is cool technology. Sure I would probably look at one, other than I hate touch screen keypads (that is why I stick with Blackberry). Might we one day in the future see something resembling this as a regular option along-side PC's and laptops? Probably, as in next year apparently it will be an option. But replacing the PC or Laptop? Please.

So does anyone think there were tons of laptops announced at CES? If so, the number of tablets and smartphones must have been unfathomable. And yes, vinyl, I saw your link to the 5 or so that were announced. It doesn't change anything.

And the number of tablets and smartphones announced doesn't change the fact that laptops are in fact going in the opposite direction of obsolete as their year over year sales continue to increase.