What's new

So who's here's a soccer fan?

Did anybody watch the US / El Salvador Gold Cup match today?

Impressive win.

<-- I'm in a moderate way, but I only watch high quality games usually. I don't like the speed of football so I tend to get bored if teams don't go right at each others throat for 90 min. Who do you like on the US national team right now? In the past quite a few of them found themselves on German teams for the season.

I play, attend games, coach, watch...you name it. I also get slapped across the face at my parents' house if I call it soccer.

I play, attend games, coach, watch...you name it. I also get slapped across the face at my parents' house if I call it soccer.

Yup. Dad gives me a dirty look everyone I don't call it "Futbol"

Yup. Dad gives me a dirty look everyone I don't call it "Futbol"

Funny thing is the word "soccer" is derived from one of the earliest organized associations of the game, and is an abbreviation of the word "association" referring to a football association in England from the 1880's. In its modern organized form the term "soccer" has been in use just about as long as the word "football" has been.

Funny thing is the word "soccer" is derived from one of the earliest organized associations of the game, and is an abbreviation of the word "association" referring to a football association in England from the 1880's. In its modern organized form the term "soccer" has been in use just about as long as the word "football" has been.

Football is a 1860s term, while soccer a local abbreviation originating from the 1880s that spread a little bit out but eventually got dropped outside America.
But I personally find it very weird that you call American Football as football, simply because every popular game either is named by the instrument you use or by the goal you're trying to achieve.
And in all the "football" games I haven't seen much usage of the players' feet. But I guess you have to be American to understand that ;)

THAT'S THE STUFF! Tell your parents to hand out extra slaps in my name for the usage of the word soccer.

Football is a 1860s term, while soccer a local abbreviation originating from the 1880s that spread a little bit out but eventually got dropped outside America.
But I personally find it very weird that you call American Football as football, simply because every popular game either is named by the instrument you use or by the goal you're trying to achieve.
And in all the "football" games I haven't seen much usage of the players' feet. But I guess you have to be American to understand that ;)
There are two differing theories on the etymology of football. One is what most people assume, a compound of the words "foot" and "ball" (ie meaning that the ball is kicked with the foot). The other is that the game was played by people on their feet, as opposed to sports like polo at the time which were played on horseback. There were sports in England called football that specifically forbade the use of one's foot, which leads credence to that theory. But there is early evidence of two sports called football and handball, leading credence to the former theory.

And soccer isn't just used in the US. It's used in most English speaking countries where soccer isn't the dominant code of football (like Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and even in Ireland and South Africa).

Last edited:
There are two differing theories on the etymology of football. One is what most people assume, a compound of the words "foot" and "ball" (ie meaning that the ball is kicked with the foot). The other is that the game was played by people on their feet, as opposed to sports like polo at the time which were played on horseback. There were sports in England called football that specifically forbade the use of one's foot, which leads credence to that theory. But there is early evidence of two sports called football and handball, leading credence to the former theory.

And soccer isn't just used in the US. It's used in most English speaking countries where soccer isn't the dominant code of football (like Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and even in Ireland and South Africa).
During the las WC I haven't seen a single South African who used the word soccer in interviews. But it's a couple years back so my mind might trick me of course, but in general I memorize things like these, so I'm confident enough to bring it out.
I just find it weird to name a sports with a name that doesn't really describe what's going on. And by all I say I respect how a sport is called in certain areas , I just don't agree/appreciate it.
Is anyone of you into European association football? Or is it more on a national/local level that you're interested in it?

Yeah.. we used "soccer" here in NZ.

We call rugby - Footy.

Just finished my recording of it. For being a blowout win it was a very fun game to watch...lots of goals and chances from both sides.

Agreed.
If more games were as action packed as that one, then I would probably become a soccer fan.
Unfortunately too many games have way too long between actual goal chances and I end up getting bored

Agreed.
If more games were as action packed as that one, then I would probably become a soccer fan.
Unfortunately too many games have way too long between actual goal chances and I end up getting bored

Part of what is making things exciting lately is that Jurgen is having them push for more and more...even when they have a big lead. No sitting back and packing it in. Love it.

<-- I'm in a moderate way, but I only watch high quality games usually. I don't like the speed of football so I tend to get bored if teams don't go right at each others throat for 90 min. Who do you like on the US national team right now? In the past quite a few of them found themselves on German teams for the season.

Man... Even though it was mostly the B team, this Gold Cup roster has impressed. Rimando was awesome, Landon is 110% back in form, Besler is just solid, Corona is tearing it up... Lots of fun.

During the las WC I haven't seen a single South African who used the word soccer in interviews. But it's a couple years back so my mind might trick me of course, but in general I memorize things like these, so I'm confident enough to bring it out.
I just find it weird to name a sports with a name that doesn't really describe what's going on. And by all I say I respect how a sport is called in certain areas , I just don't agree/appreciate it.
Is anyone of you into European association football? Or is it more on a national/local level that you're interested in it?

I have spent many years in South Africa and they use the term soccer! The professional league is called the PSL(Premeire Soccer League)!!!

But as soon as the announcement came that they were geting the World Cup in 2010 all of the media and government officials started calling it "FutBol"!!! But I heard many locals say " why we we calling it Futbol now we always call it soccer"?

Now that the World Cup has come and gone everyone is back to saying Soccer!!!

Man... Even though it was mostly the B team, this Gold Cup roster has impressed. Rimando was awesome, Landon is 110% back in form, Besler is just solid, Corona is tearing it up... Lots of fun.

It will be interesting to see if Landon plays World Cup Qualifers, honestly I hate the guy... Laughed my *** of when he missed the PK and let the Door open for RSL to win the championship a few years back, but the dude has been killing it in theses gold cup games...

If he plays like that and Jozie continues his excellence Brazil is going to be fun!!!