What's new

So who's here's a soccer fan?

It's a turf/carpet, yeah. In the first picture is pretty close to what the field looked like that I played on growing up. Indoor is a nice change of pace and fun during the winter with all the snow outside. Or even during the summer in between different tournaments. The youth leagues in Utah are fall/spring with tournaments throughout the summertime and nothing during winter (That's when many kids play the local rec basketball leagues, Jr. Jazz, which is pretty popular there). People play indoor soccer year round though at different comp levels with co-ed offered as well.

indoor-soccer.jpg

6814507325_a07bd37f69.jpg

4-10-2007-2-31-37-PM-10116631.jpg

that s great man I didn t know u guys were so much into it. the last time I checked out the us nt squad was the year 98 and it was because of the pc game rtwc. (epic-est soccer game eva - remind u) the developers had put themselves in the reserve squad of the us nt as superstar player attributes so I usually picked usa when I played it.

so anyway, the carpet here burns through ur flesh if you fall and slide. I bet urs is much better. I know that when it comes to indoor soccer u have courts with the hardwood floor. I played soccer in a floor like that in highschool. I prefer carpet. after grass of course.

Here we go... tonight! I'm gonna go with some buddies to the Republican or the Bourbon House to watch the game, I think.

Anybody else watch last night's match? Landon Donovan is BACK, biznatches, and he's playing so well it's incredibly scary.

Anybody else watch last night's match? Landon Donovan is BACK, biznatches, and he's playing so well it's incredibly scary.

Ya that was a fun game to watch.
Lots of action and scoring opportunities.

Yes donovan is looking really good out there and I really like way the beasley is playing

Damn, I was hoping for the US to have the shot to whip up on Mexico, but the Mexicans couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Do you mean the UEFA European Football Championship? If so many regard that tournament as the highest/most competitive in the world, even above the FIFA World Cup as its talent depth is superior to the WC. The beauty of the World Cup is though, that you get to see teams from every part of the world in the preliminary round and sometimes beyond as in 2010, when a lot of European powerhouses had a change of generation that didn't work out. I wouldn't be surprised to see 6/8 Euro teams in the quarter finals, 3/4 in the semis(2010 it was 6/16 in the eightsfinals, with 3 inner European matchups, and all 3 of the winners made it into the semis...)
So from a quality POV it's
EURO > WC > rest

Eh, in quality it's a push. The lower level Euro teams aren't all that better than the best Concacaf or Asian or African teams. Maybe it can be argued that quality is better since they have 16 teams to the World Cup's 32, but next year that will get diluted when they move it to 24.

In terms of prestige it's not close, the WC is by far the most prestigious, though the Euro Cup is the only other tournament that has any sort of prestige at all.

On another note, I wish both Americas would have a pan American tournament that could rival (not totally, but at least be maybe the third best international tournament in the world) the Euro Cup. It sucks that the only really meaningful tournament for the US is the World Cup (and qualifying).

Not that I like quoting my own self, but apparently this is going to happen in 2016. I'm psyched!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América_Centenario

Fun as heck to play. Especially 3 on 3. I'd probably really enjoy going to a game. On tv? Not so much.

Eh, in quality it's a push. The lower level Euro teams aren't all that better than the best Concacaf or Asian or African teams. Maybe it can be argued that quality is better since they have 16 teams to the World Cup's 32, but next year that will get diluted when they move it to 24.

In terms of prestige it's not close, the WC is by far the most prestigious, though the Euro Cup is the only other tournament that has any sort of prestige at all.

You're right! I should have been more specific. From the bracket phase onwards it's usually tougher - So Quarterfinals onwards. In the EURO there's usually 1 extremly deep preliminary round group(Last time it was 2 due to the double host countries seeded highest and creating weak groups) For the WorldCup it's more predictable imo. Problem with the WC is that the South American powerhouses can't get their **** together. Brazil and Argentina are no longer deep in top tier talent.
But prestige wise you're totally right. The whole world's watching and I enjoy it more also as a spectator. Diversity is bigger with the different playstyles. There's usually 1 African team to root for that got lucky in the first round due to a struggling European team and has a seed that can get them into the quarters easily. Nowadays it's mostly only 1 American team making it to the quarterfinals with 2 more losing the 1st KO round. Sometimes Australia is good for an upset. Remember the WC in Germany when it was 0-0 draw in the 93rd minute of the 1/8 finals match vs Italy, the ref stretching the overtime hard and giving Italy a penalty that was very easily a bad call?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qQeTbp7NB0
Even the Italian commentator knows it's not a penalty ;) Look how unimpressed he talks. After that tourney many Italian restaurants and icecream-cafes had a hard time because of their national team - inofficial football fan boycott.

Fun as heck to play. Especially 3 on 3. I'd probably really enjoy going to a game. On tv? Not so much.

In childhood, we used to set matches on a game called "the chinese goal". There were teams that were individual or up to three and we had 3 or 4 separate teams so you could just change your direction while dribbling then attack the other goal. It was quite crazy. Give it a try if you get the chance.

In childhood, we used to set matches on a game called "the chinese goal". There were teams that were individual or up to three and we had 3 or 4 separate teams so you could just change your direction while dribbling then attack the other goal. It was quite crazy. Give it a try if you get the chance.

Yeah, we use to do that all the time.

Yesterday the group drawing for the 2014 World Championship in Brazil took place.
Germand and the USA in the same group joined by Ghana and Portugal.
I think from Germany's point it doesn't really matter with whom you're grouped. You gotta advance anyways.
What's your take?

Some FIFA rankings were very weird before draw. How come Belgium and Switzerland were ranked higher then Portugal or France? That's why we have messed up groups now.