What's new

Social media and players

If I own a jersey and that player is no longer on the team my method of disposal of said jersey is 100% up to me. I sure as hell will not be wearing the jersey anymore.

That said, I don't get a fan who at one point bought an IT jersey holding it against IT that Boston traded him. Maybe they were expressing their displeasure with the Celtics?

Maybe it is? It's not a swipe at Utah.

Y'all need to not be so sensitive.

I'm not sensitive, I was just clearing up for Cy what was meant by the poster saying it was a swipe at Utah.

Boston probably has MUCH better private schools for his kids once they get that old. Certainly has better historic cultural stuff. More art, museums, access to other big cities with super short flights.

I've also wondered since Hayward left how religious he is. If he's Catholic Boston is certainly a better place to be in that regard than Utah, but even if he's some kind of Protestant, he might not like Mormonism and that might have played into why he didn't want to be here.

If I own a jersey and that player is no longer on the team my method of disposal of said jersey is 100% up to me. I sure as hell will not be wearing the jersey anymore.

That said, I don't get a fan who at one point bought an IT jersey holding it against IT that Boston traded him. Maybe they were expressing their displeasure with the Celtics?

It's just a way to get attention. I like this new trend: https://streamable.com/11j63

I do think it is out of proportion to the reality, but on the other end of the spectrum from before. Before we didn't hear enough about things so went on in ignorance of how often crazy thing happened. We should be in the middle, but honestly I would rather be informed with too much info, than uninformed.

Yeah I wasn't commenting on whether that is all a good thing or a bad thing necessarily. I find it entertaining and that is the point of following a sport or a celebrity or whatever, entertainment. I think it improves the product personally. Adds some drama and flair. After all, we are watching grown men bounce a ball. Aliens would look at this and shake their heads, wondering how we could get excited and freak out because some guy threw a ball covered in animal skin in a ring of metal with a net hanging from it. I try to view it the same way. It is fun, and serious and serious fun, but never meant to be taken actually seriously.

d05e84ea9638a8e316f956e48c8413a6--woodland-indians-western-photography.jpg

The idea that it's a better situation for Hayward and his family to be in Boston vs SLC.

The idea is that it's his decision. Lebron isnt saying Boston > SLC (though maybe he thinks that), but that Hayward has the right to choose what he wants, or is best for him.

I'm not sensitive, I was just clearing up for Cy what was meant by the poster saying it was a swipe at Utah.

Boston probably has MUCH better private schools for his kids once they get that old. Certainly has better historic cultural stuff. More art, museums, access to other big cities with super short flights.

I've also wondered since Hayward left how religious he is. If he's Catholic Boston is certainly a better place to be in that regard than Utah, but even if he's some kind of Protestant, he might not like Mormonism and that might have played into why he didn't want to be here.

His wife is very catholic.

so perhaps somewhat related, what about the issue of athletes using game situations to make social/political statements, such as Colin Kaepernick kneeling for the National Anthem, or that one who's raising his fist, and finally at a preseason game a fellow teammate put his arm around his shoulder to show support.

Such a wide range of opinion on this - even among fellow athletes. Seems many I've heard think it's out of place - - the focus should be on the game, and that alone - - and that it's a distraction, and can possibly divide the team.

Then again, some would say why do we even do the National Anthem at sporting events? We don't do it at the theater or at concerts and things like that. So why are sports any different?

so perhaps somewhat related, what about the issue of athletes using game situations to make social/political statements, such as Colin Kaepernick kneeling for the National Anthem, or that one who's raising his fist, and finally at a preseason game a fellow teammate put his arm around his shoulder to show support.

Such a wide range of opinion on this - even among fellow athletes. Seems many I've heard think it's out of place - - the focus should be on the game, and that alone - - and that it's a distraction, and can possibly divide the team.

Then again, some would say why do we even do the National Anthem at sporting events? We don't do it at the theater or at concerts and things like that. So why are sports any different?

I think we see sports as "battles" similarly to the way we think of military battles. So since we've got our battle juices flowing might as well associate them with national patriotism.

But to be nitpicky about your first sentence, the national anthem is not a game situation.

LeBron on a former Jazz Player:

Yet another swipe at Utah?

I think that was more a dig at the clearly hypocritical Boston fans who took another team's player. I mean these fans are clearly just dumb... the guy was traded... I bet you 99.99% of Boston fans feel those fans are dumb... I hate Boston fans as much as anyone here, but this is not a good representation of how their fanbase feels.

I think we see sports as "battles" similarly to the way we think of military battles. So since we've got our battle juices flowing might as well associate them with national patriotism.

But to be nitpicky about your first sentence, the national anthem is not a game situation.
Its a known fact military pays leagues to promote the military.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app