What's new

Some props for DL from SI - NBA free agency: Winners and losers

There are no "big moves" to be made. Jazz are going to have tax problems once Exum and Hood come off their rookie deals. The big move will likely be deciding which starter (along with Burks) has to go. And there won't be enough salary for any good vets. Of course, that's assuming the Jazz massively overpay for Gordon at $30m/per and extend Rudy for $25m.

I know some will blast me for being negative or a " drama queen." But I challenge you all to do the math. I've been doing it for 2 years now. That's why I've been a trade-Gordon advocate (maybe even the first) and thought Utah should have drafted Murray instead of blowing the lottery pick on Hill.

Enjoy the ride for 2 seasons. Then hard choices have to be made.

Exactly what I was referencing. Does DL continue on the path he's been on, re-sign Hayward to a ridiculous contract that puts us in cap hell, and assures that we will never be more than a playoff team.... OR does he make a preemptive strike on the situation, move Hayward while he's at the peak of his value, and get a pick/young player that might be a star piece and could eventually bring the bulk of our young core to a championship. He had a golden oppurtunity at the draft for that necessary preemptive strike and he passed it by. I agree completely with you.

You guys are all saying the same thing, and it still sounds as dumb as it did before the draft. There wasn't a star to be had by trading Hayward. The Jazz are committed to keeping him. Those who don't like it will just have to get used to the idea. Same narrative that a collection of posters had when he signed his max contract back in 2014. . . now we all wish they'd signed him to a longer contract.

You guys are all saying the same thing, and it still sounds as dumb as it did before the draft. There wasn't a star to be had by trading Hayward. The Jazz are committed to keeping him. Those who don't like it will just have to get used to the idea. Same narrative that a collection of posters had when he signed his max contract back in 2014. . . now we all wish they'd signed him to a longer contract.

More like the whole board... LOL

It's not dumb. I'm used to the idea, I know the Jazz will keep him because that's what they do. But I'll still speak out against it because it's a massive mistake. I want this team to win championships. I don't care about just getting to the playoffs anymore. I've seen dozens of playoff trips in my lifetime. Getting there means nothing. Winning it all does. You won't win it all by paying a third or fourth best player on a championship level team max money when you don't have that #1 or #2 guy. You just won't. Period. This team won't win a title with Hayward on the max. It won't happen.

It's not dumb. I'm used to the idea, I know the Jazz will keep him because that's what they do. But I'll still speak out against it because it's a massive mistake. I want this team to win championships. I don't care about just getting to the playoffs anymore. I've seen dozens of playoff trips in my lifetime. Getting there means nothing. Winning it all does. You won't win it all by paying a third or fourth best player on a championship level team max money when you don't have that #1 or #2 guy. You just won't. Period. This team won't win a title with Hayward on the max. It won't happen.

That may very well be the case, but I know they'll keep going on that treadmill if they trade their best players for the opportunity to draft Jaylen ****ing Brown or Jamal Murray. IMO, Hayward is better than a bunch of the guys who just got paid. I'd rather pay Gordon Hayward max money than Harrison Barnes or Mike Conley. DeRozan and Hayward are close. If Gordon will sign for what DeRozan did, then it's still better to keep him.

Different times. Different rules. This roster would take out that team in the way the game is officiated today. This team is much better shooting and passing. Ostertag started on that team. Thats all you'd need to say.
Bro, I'm all about getting on this hype train and I'm excited about seeing this team next season as much as the next guy, but c'mon, get a grip. This group of players has yet to play a single game together, has never won a single playoff game, and you're already proclaiming them as the best Jazz team ever, better than the Stockton/Malone teams that won the most regular season games in the 90's and went to 2 NBA Finals? Wow.

Bro, I'm all about getting on this hype train and I'm excited about seeing this team next season as much as the next guy, but c'mon, get a grip. This group of players has yet to play a single game together, has never won a single playoff game, and you're already proclaiming them as the best Jazz team ever, better than the Stockton/Malone teams that won the most regular season games in the 90's and went to 2 NBA Finals? Wow.
You're confusing what I'm saying. I'm saying the roster next year is better then the roster from 98. This team makeup has more versatility and height then any other roster Utah has ever had.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You're confusing what I'm saying. I'm saying the roster next year is better then the roster from 98. This team makeup has more versatility and height then any other roster Utah has ever had.

LOL WTF you say? Now I know idiot like crappy surf never insult jazz but you are even more the fool. Best roster ever? LOL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFLLOLOLOL

I love Jazz. I love them so much, but when Jazz mania strike it on this board it is beyond the crazy imagination of any man. I am excite to see this one team, but be real we are so happy just to be 4th. we max hayward, we lose two core to do it, we mediocre for next 5 years with midling draft picks. this our reality.

Give Stockton and Malone this roster in 97, 98, and we have two championships.

That may very well be the case, but I know they'll keep going on that treadmill if they trade their best players for the opportunity to draft Jaylen ****ing Brown or Jamal Murray. IMO, Hayward is better than a bunch of the guys who just got paid. I'd rather pay Gordon Hayward max money than Harrison Barnes or Mike Conley. DeRozan and Hayward are close. If Gordon will sign for what DeRozan did, then it's still better to keep him.

The funny part about this is that the actual treadmill move would be resigning Hayward. They re-signed Millsap and ruined a similar rebuild. Before that, they paid too much for AK and limited their rebuilding oppurtunities. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. We've been down this path of overpaying decent players and it results in failure everytime. The issue isn't Hayward, it's the situation. In an ideal world we would keep Hayward. Great guy, good player, the type of guy you want on your team. But in the current situation you can't keep him and win. There is no path with him on a max deal that ends well. Because you have to pay Gobert, Favors, Exum and Hood right after him. Go through the scenarios. Who do you lose because of his contract effecting cap space? How do you improve with no cap room and poor draft picks? Most importantly, where do you find your star?

Jaylen Brown and Jamal Murray might not be stars. Personally I would have taken Boston up on the #3 pick to take Buddy Hield. I do think he'll be a star. But whether anyone we could have taken at #3 would or would not have been the star we need is irrelevant. The key thing we gain from trading Hayward is just as valuable, time. Time can be everything. With Hayward's massive contract not in our way we can resign Gobert, Favors, Exum and Hood without touching the cap. And we would still be competitive. If the #3 pick hits and is a star, we are perennial championship contenders. If not, we bought ourselves several years to find that star.

The funny part about this is that the actual treadmill move would be resigning Hayward. They re-signed Millsap and ruined a similar rebuild. Before that, they paid too much for AK and limited their rebuilding oppurtunities. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. We've been down this path of overpaying decent players and it results in failure everytime. The issue isn't Hayward, it's the situation. In an ideal world we would keep Hayward. Great guy, good player, the type of guy you want on your team. But in the current situation you can't keep him and win. There is no path with him on a max deal that ends well. Because you have to pay Gobert, Favors, Exum and Hood right after him. Go through the scenarios. Who do you lose because of his contract effecting cap space? How do you improve with no cap room and poor draft picks? Most importantly, where do you find your star?

Jaylen Brown and Jamal Murray might not be stars. Personally I would have taken Boston up on the #3 pick to take Buddy Hield. I do think he'll be a star. But whether anyone we could have taken at #3 would or would not have been the star we need is irrelevant. The key thing we gain from trading Hayward is just as valuable, time. Time can be everything. With Hayward's massive contract not in our way we can resign Gobert, Favors, Exum and Hood without touching the cap. And we would still be competitive. If the #3 pick hits and is a star, we are perennial championship contenders. If not, we bought ourselves several years to find that star.
So you think Hield would be the star to get the Jazz over the championship hump, a far bigger star than Gordon lol. Ok

So you think Hield would be the star to get the Jazz over the championship hump, a far bigger star than Gordon lol. Ok

Not what I said at all. Read my post. Reading comprehension is poor on the internet these days. Yes, I believe Hield has a chance to be a star in the NBA. He's an elite prospect when it comes to scoring. Better than Hayward? Who knows. We'll see. But whether he became a star or not isn't the point of the trade. The point is to save your young core and give yourself time to find a star player. If that star player was that #3 pick, perfect.

Buddy Hield a star? Can't wait to remind you you said this in 2-3 years.

Not what I said at all. Read my post. Reading comprehension is poor on the internet these days. Yes, I believe Hield has a chance to be a star in the NBA. He's an elite prospect when it comes to scoring. Better than Hayward? Who knows. We'll see. But whether he became a star or not isn't the point of the trade. The point is to save your young core and give yourself time to find a star player. If that star player was that #3 pick, perfect.

The prospect of a star at #3 are so incredibly small that's a ridiculous gamble. Much more likely one of our young guys makes big leaps and becomes a star.
Trading the best player because he's not quite good enough and somehow continuing to hope that another draft pick is a superstar is an exercise in futility. Build a really good team, become a top 4 team in the west, and hope either one guy takes off or a few events go in your favor

Yeah, but DL totally blew it by not signing mediocre talent last year. You know, because mediocre talent was such a bargain. I'm all for praising DL, but we should probably fire him anyway.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Jazz never do nothin and all they care about is making money.
This.
We baked the cake and ruined the franchise.

What are you talking about?

July 2009. The Blazers offer Paul Millsap a 4 year 32 million dollar offer sheet. The Jazz match which put them over the luxury tax and limited their financial flexibility and ability to improve the team. February 2010, the Jazz trade Ronnie Brewer to cut some of the financial burden. July 2010, the Jazz let Carlos Boozer walk in free agency. February 2011, frustrated after losing his friend (Brewer), and losing a guy he won a lot of games with (Boozer), and fed up with the lack of ability the team had to bring in talent to put around him (because there was no money) Deron Williams demands a trade. If the Jazz made the correct move and traded Millsap well before his free agency then Brewer, Boozer and Deron all likely stay. You add to the group a young Hayward and whatever pieces you received from a Millsap deal and you have a stable future. Instead, a Western Conference Finals team evaporated quickly because they overvalued one player.

Buddy Hield a star? Can't wait to remind you you said this in 2-3 years.

I'll be here. 45% on threes, 50% FG, 88% FT on high volume shooting, with defenses focusing solely on him. That's rare. And highly translatable.