What's new

Some props for DL from SI - NBA free agency: Winners and losers

My2Cents

Winner: Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey

Warriors aside, the Jazz enjoyed the West’s best off-season and it’s not particularly close. GM Dennis Lindsey has been methodical in his roster-building, but the slow-motion build-up will pay off in a big way in 2016-17. Utah’s summer was characterized by clean fits and great value: Lindsey addressed his three biggest needs by acquiring a starting point guard in George Hill, an experienced shooter in Joe Johnson, and a quality stretch four in Boris Diaw. Lindsey filled his biggest roster hole, he filled out his bench, he improved his roster versatility, he added years of playoff experience to a young team, and he did it all for $37 million (Hill will earn $8 million next season, Johnson was signed to a two-year, $22 million deal, and Diaw will earn $7 million). That’s less than Detroit paid to lock up Jon Leuer for the next four years, and Utah is in a position of flexibility where it evaluate its newcomers and then reward them next summer if they prove to be keepers.

The best part is that the Jazz will also welcome back Dante Exum, Alec Burks and Rudy Gobert following injury-riddled seasons. Don’t be surprised if these guys win 50+ games and advance in the playoffs on the strength of a top-three defense. https://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/07/nba-free-agency-winners-losers-kevin-durant-dwyane-wade-pat-riley?xid=si_topstories

raw

Top to bottom this roster is possibly the best roster the Jazz have ever had. If Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Exum,or Hood turn into a star this team is going to be really good for a long time.

Yeah, but DL totally blew it by not signing mediocre talent last year. You know, because mediocre talent was such a bargain. I'm all for praising DL, but we should probably fire him anyway.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Jazz never do nothin and all they care about is making money.

Top to bottom this roster is possibly the best roster the Jazz have ever had. If Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Exum,or Hood turn into a star this team is going to be really good for a long time.

Bro John and Karl had a win % of .78.. (64 wins full season) one year. We ain't hitting that.

Bro John and Karl had a win % of .78.. (64 wins full season) one year. We ain't hitting that.
Different times. Different rules. This roster would take out that team in the way the game is officiated today. This team is much better shooting and passing. Ostertag started on that team. Thats all you'd need to say.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Different times. Different rules. This roster would take out that team in the way the game is officiated today. This team is much better shooting and passing. Ostertag started on that team. Thats all you'd need to say.

I love this team right now. I am excited about their chances and future. But no way in hell this team beats the 98 Jazz team more than one time out of 10 tries. No matter what rules you are playing under.

I love this team right now. I am excited about their chances and future. But no way in hell this team beats the 98 Jazz team more than one time out of 10 tries. No matter what rules you are playing under.
I highly disagree. The 98 bench doesn't touch this team. This year's team has height advantage on all positions too. Also younger and quicker. Stockton horny and Malone aren't enough to take it.

I highly disagree. The 98 bench doesn't touch this team. This year's team has height advantage on all positions too. Also younger and quicker. Stockton horny and Malone aren't enough to take it.

The 98 Lakers were younger, quicker, more athletic. They didn't do well against the 98 Jazz

The 98 Lakers were younger, quicker, more athletic. They didn't do well against the 98 Jazz
The reason that team lost was Shaq and Kobe didn't have chemistry yet. Then they got rid of Del Harris. Signed Phil Jackson and the next few years were hell.

DL has done a great job so far in building this team. But the next 12 months is the big test. Is he willing to make the big moves necessary to build a championship level team, or is he going to stay the course with the current group and be okay just making the playoffs until our next rebuild.

Last edited:
There are no "big moves" to be made. Jazz are going to have tax problems once Exum and Hood come off their rookie deals. The big move will likely be deciding which starter (along with Burks) has to go. And there won't be enough salary for any good vets. Of course, that's assuming the Jazz massively overpay for Gordon at $30m/per and extend Rudy for $25m.

I know some will blast me for being negative or a " drama queen." But I challenge you all to do the math. I've been doing it for 2 years now. That's why I've been a trade-Gordon advocate (maybe even the first) and thought Utah should have drafted Murray instead of blowing the lottery pick on Hill.

Enjoy the ride for 2 seasons. Then hard choices have to be made.

Every team is massively overpaying every player.
How are any teams going to be able to make any transactions down the road?

There are no "big moves" to be made. Jazz are going to have tax problems once Exum and Hood come off their rookie deals. The big move will likely be deciding which starter (along with Burks) has to go. And there won't be enough salary for any good vets. Of course, that's assuming the Jazz massively overpay for Gordon at $30m/per and extend Rudy for $25m.

I know some will blast me for being negative or a " drama queen." But I challenge you all to do the math. I've been doing it for 2 years now. That's why I've been a trade-Gordon advocate (maybe even the first) and thought Utah should have drafted Murray instead of blowing the lottery pick on Hill.

Enjoy the ride for 2 seasons. Then hard choices have to be made.

That's not the 'narrative' DL wants to tell the league though.. he wants it to say that the Jazz are a loyal team that believes in and never gives up on its player (unless it's absolutely necessary to, ala Trey Burke).

Hence DL will never trade Hayward, or Burks, or Favors, etc, ... so far it is working with Joe Johnson our biggest FA signing in a long while.

If we play well next season with this team I bet Hill will want to re-sign, Hayward would want to re-sign, etc..