What's new

Some props for DL from SI - NBA free agency: Winners and losers

The prospect of a star at #3 are so incredibly small that's a ridiculous gamble. Much more likely one of our young guys makes big leaps and becomes a star.
Trading the best player because he's not quite good enough and somehow continuing to hope that another draft pick is a superstar is an exercise in futility. Build a really good team, become a top 4 team in the west, and hope either one guy takes off or a few events go in your favor

The only players on the team that could take the leap and lead this team are Dante and/or Hood, maybe Lyles. We know how good Hayward and Favors are at this point. No leaps are coming there. Rudy is a defensive star, could wind up being DPOTY at some point. But I don't know if he'll ever reach the same level on offense. Burks just hasn't been healthy. So let's say Exum, for instance becomes that star. I think he could. Paying Hayward still leads to problems. Hayward, Gobert and Favors all get paid before Exum. Do you then pay Exum what is probably the 4th max or near max contract on the team? How do you build from there?

July 2009. The Blazers offer Paul Millsap a 4 year 32 million dollar offer sheet. The Jazz match which put them over the luxury tax and limited their financial flexibility and ability to improve the team. February 2010, the Jazz trade Ronnie Brewer to cut some of the financial burden. July 2010, the Jazz let Carlos Boozer walk in free agency. February 2011, frustrated after losing his friend (Brewer), and losing a guy he won a lot of games with (Boozer), and fed up with the lack of ability the team had to bring in talent to put around him (because there was no money) Deron Williams demands a trade. If the Jazz made the correct move and traded Millsap well before his free agency then Brewer, Boozer and Deron all likely stay. You add to the group a young Hayward and whatever pieces you received from a Millsap deal and you have a stable future. Instead, a Western Conference Finals team evaporated quickly because they overvalued one player.

You are just giving wrong information and ignoring relevant one.

1) Matching Millsap proved to be a great move, a bargain contract. Letting walk for nothing years laters seems to be a mistake though

2) You would keep Brewer? Really?

3) As a free agent Boozer allowed us to match the Bulls offer to stay. We decided against it due to his injury history, under perfomance, etc. We 'traded him' to get a trade exception we later used for Big Al. Millsap was also waiting for a bigger role.

4) "Lack of ability to bring talent?" We used our trade exception to bring Big Al (where are you Cakar when we need you?.

5) "DWill demanding a trade?". He never demanded a trade. Where were you during those years? It was reported Dwill clashed with Sloan a lot during that season. The Bulls game was the last-straw and Sloan resigned. A few days later Dwill was traded and he heard about it on the TV while he was training. We took the league by surprise.

6) I think you are confusing Millsap with AK, whose contract crippled us.

Please get the facts right

You are just giving wrong information and ignoring relevant one.

1) Matching Millsap proved to be a great move, a bargain contract. Letting walk for nothing years laters seems to be a mistake though

2) You would keep Brewer? Really?

3) As a free agent Boozer allowed us to match the Bulls offer to stay. We decided against it due to his injury history, under perfomance, etc. We 'traded him' to get a trade exception we later used for Big Al. Millsap was also waiting for a bigger role.

4) "Lack of ability to bring talent?" We used our trade exception to bring Big Al (where are you Cakar when we need you?.

5) "DWill demanding a trade?". He never demanded a trade. Where were you during those years? It was reported Dwill clashed with Sloan a lot during that season. The Bulls game was the last-straw and Sloan resigned. A few days later Dwill was traded and he heard about it on the TV while he was training. We took the league by surprise.

6) I think you are confusing Millsap with AK, whose contract crippled us.

Please get the facts right

1) Millsap was not a good deal given circumstances of that team. Going over the luxury tax to keep a redundant piece when the team is in need of a few players to get over the hump isn't a good idea

2) To keep a star player happy, a leader of our franchise... Yes.

3) Under performance? A multi time all star? A guy who helped lead us to the Western conference Finals? A gold medalist in the Olympics? Yeah we got Al but it was a hollow attempt at replacing Booz and the chemistry that team had. Major downgrade.

4) Explained above. Downgrade.

5) He didn't verbally demand or ask for a trade, but those outbursts with coach Sloan didn't happen for no reason. He wasn't happy with the situation at all. The outbursts were him basically saying it without saying it. Which is exactly how the team interpreted it obviously.

6) They were both bad. Kirilenko's damaged our ability to improve that Deron/Memo/Booz core because of the large amount of money. Millsap's was equally bad because it pushed us over the tax furthering the same problem.

1) Millsap was not a good deal given circumstances of that team. Going over the luxury tax to keep a redundant piece when the team is in need of a few players to get over the hump isn't a good idea

3) Under performance? A multi time all star? A guy who helped lead us to the Western conference Finals? A gold medalist in the Olympics? Yeah we got Al but it was a hollow attempt at replacing Booz and the chemistry that team had. Major downgrade.

5) He didn't verbally demand or ask for a trade, but those outbursts with coach Sloan didn't happen for no reason. He wasn't happy with the situation at all. The outbursts were him basically saying it without saying it. Which is exactly how the team interpreted it obviously.

6) They were both bad. Kirilenko's damaged our ability to improve that Deron/Memo/Booz core because of the large amount of money. Millsap's was equally bad because it pushed us over the tax furthering the same problem.

1) Matching Millsap was a no-brainer.

2) Even if that player has no value for the team? I disagree. Chemistry is important but you don't keep crappy players just to keep your star player happy with his buddies. More importantly, trading Dwill proved to be the right thing as injuries started to slowed him down quickly.

3) Are you going to defend Boozer? Good luck with that. Remember the Phoenix game? We needed to win to get home court advantage. The guy rested due to some rib-injury. Plays two days later like nothing happens. He was good for a couple of years but then it was obvious he wasn't tough and led us nowhere. Also, Boozer was not a glue guy or leader in the locker room. I would say Memo was a better player filling that role, he was clutch and tough despite his physical limitations.

4) It was seen as a great move at the time and we even went to the playoffs. He was good but not a great pickn'roll player nor defender. Boozer declined rapidly too. Ask the Bulls fans what they think about him.

5) So you admit he didn't demand a trade. And how do you know he was frustrated if he didn't say anything? Are you his buddy?. Years later he regretted his behavior and expressed how much he missed SLC. KOC decided to trade him because Dwill wouldn't give a clear indication about staying long-term. We saw the Nets offer for Carmelo and decided to get those assets.

6) Millsap's only hurt its first year then it became a complete bargain. You cannot say it was equally bad as AK's.

You're confusing what I'm saying. I'm saying the roster next year is better then the roster from 98. This team makeup has more versatility and height then any other roster Utah has ever had.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just want to add my name to the list of people that disagree with you. The 96-97 Jazz and 97-98 Jazz were very good. You are minimizing what they did by comparing them to the current team. Let's see if they win 50 games before we compare them to a 60-win team.

It reminds me of the time Scottie Pippen claimed the Blazers was the most talented team he ever played on. Somewhat idiotic.

You are comparing a team with zero All-Stars to a team that had two hall of famers. And I know the bench didn't have big names, but it was one of the best benches in the league that year.

I'll tell you what. Let's wait until 40 games have gone by, and then maybe we can have a conversation about whether or not this year's team is more talented than the 07-08 Jazz team.

Two things will determine Lindsey's legacy:

1- does Exum become a star? If Exum doesn't pan out, the. Lindsey failed.

2- Can Lindsey move Favors and Hood for another star level wing?

If Exum becomes a star and Lindsey can find another wing then we will compete for titles. If Exum doesn't pan out, then we are looking at an era with less success than KOC.

LOL WTF you say? Now I know idiot like crappy surf never insult jazz but you are even more the fool. Best roster ever? LOL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFLLOLOLOL

Right, I'm the idiot because I don't constantly cry like a little bitch about the Jazz FO. Maybe someday can be Einstein brilliant guy like punkphlembottombum and cry like little girl about Jazz. Then I be cool like you?

BTW, even though crappy smurf support Jazz FO 90% of time, Crappy did trash FO for not starting rebuild sooner and losing Alsap for nothing. Crappy did this before KOC step down, and crappy knows KOC step down over big mistake that crappy foretold. Crappy tells it like it is, either way, and crappy gets tired of complainers who cry all the time, even when FO doing a good job. Right now, they doing a good job. Deal with it, and find something else to cry about, k?

1) Matching Millsap was a no-brainer.

2) Even if that player has no value for the team? I disagree. Chemistry is important but you don't keep crappy players just to keep your star player happy with his buddies. More importantly, trading Dwill proved to be the right thing as injuries started to slowed him down quickly.

3) Are you going to defend Boozer? Good luck with that. Remember the Phoenix game? We needed to win to get home court advantage. The guy rested due to some rib-injury. Plays two days later like nothing happens. He was good for a couple of years but then it was obvious he wasn't tough and led us nowhere. Also, Boozer was not a glue guy or leader in the locker room. I would say Memo was a better player filling that role, he was clutch and tough despite his physical limitations.

4) It was seen as a great move at the time and we even went to the playoffs. He was good but not a great pickn'roll player nor defender. Boozer declined rapidly too. Ask the Bulls fans what they think about him.

5) So you admit he didn't demand a trade. And how do you know he was frustrated if he didn't say anything? Are you his buddy?. Years later he regretted his behavior and expressed how much he missed SLC. KOC decided to trade him because Dwill wouldn't give a clear indication about staying long-term. We saw the Nets offer for Carmelo and decided to get those assets.

6) Millsap's only hurt its first year then it became a complete bargain. You cannot say it was equally bad as AK's.

1) How'd that no brainer work out? He was that last piece to get the team over the top right? No? But he became that big time star that some people were sure he would be and carried us into the future though. Wait, no? But he's still around to help the new core. A valuable asset worth blowing a whole team up for. Wait... He's not here? Lol.

2) I agree somewhat but it's not like he was useless. He was one of if not our best perimeter defender.

3) Oh I'll definitely defend Booz. No doubt. He had his moments with injuries, but when he played he performed at a high level.

4) He was a downgrade from Boozer. Period. He's been great on other teams and was decent here, but he didn't have the same chemistry with his teammates that Boozer had. Something was off about his fit.

5) I admit that we don't know if he said it outloud. But the grumbling behind the scenes, the arguing with Sloan, the interviews with him after being traded, I don't have to be his buddy to read between the lines.

6) I definitely can

Right, I'm the idiot because I don't constantly cry like a little bitch about the Jazz FO. Maybe someday can be Einstein brilliant guy like punkphlembottombum and cry like little girl about Jazz. Then I be cool like you?

BTW, even though crappy smurf support Jazz FO 90% of time, Crappy did trash FO for not starting rebuild sooner and losing Alsap for nothing. Crappy did this before KOC step down, and crappy knows KOC step down over big mistake that crappy foretold. Crappy tells it like it is, either way, and crappy gets tired of complainers who cry all the time, even when FO doing a good job. Right now, they doing a good job. Deal with it, and find something else to cry about, k?

Maybe. Keep try k?

Yeah, but DL totally blew it by not signing mediocre talent last year. You know, because mediocre talent was such a bargain. I'm all for praising DL, but we should probably fire him anyway.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Jazz never do nothin and all they care about is making money.

you're one of the best posters on this site, but this post is trash. Strawman + childishly shuts off certain perspectives that had good points for the thrill of shutting down all dissenting opinions. Pretty gross. You can leave last offseason in peace, since even Lyndsey admitted to playing it too conservatively. And I'm certainly done with it at this point.

au revior

the previous quote wasn't "telling it like it is". Not even close.

ciao

July 2009.
The Jazz weren't rebuilding. Totally ****ing amazed that is your point. Furthermore, that you choose THIS as your gripe, at THAT time especially. Millsap was one of the best contracts in the NBA over it's time. Not sure what your phobia is with having very good players.

To reiterate, the Jazz were not rebuilding, and this wasn't the decision that created a domino effect of bad ones.

Exactly what I was referencing. Does DL continue on the path he's been on, re-sign Hayward to a ridiculous contract that puts us in cap hell, and assures that we will never be more than a playoff team.... OR does he make a preemptive strike on the situation, move Hayward while he's at the peak of his value, and get a pick/young player that might be a star piece and could eventually bring the bulk of our young core to a championship. He had a golden oppurtunity at the draft for that necessary preemptive strike and he passed it by. I agree completely with you.

Hayward's contract may be ridiculous in some absolute sense, but that is what, moving forward, the Jazz will have to pay for ANY Tier 1 or top Tier2 player. Anyone they get to replace him, that's anywhere near as good, will command the same price, unless you want to go the youth route perpetually.

What the **** are you talking about? Irrational Millsap hate is rampant in our fan base, but I have never seen anything quite like this.

The Jazz weren't rebuilding. Totally ****ing amazed that is your point. Furthermore, that you choose THIS as your gripe, at THAT time especially. Millsap was one of the best contracts in the NBA over it's time. Not sure what your phobia is with having very good players.

To reiterate, the Jazz were not rebuilding, and this wasn't the decision that created a domino effect of bad ones.

Rebuild was a poor choice of words on my part. In the sentence I meant that they had just rebuilt. His contract is my gripe at that time. That group was close. If the team moves Millsap for the right pieces, they have a chance. Instead, their obsession to holding on to a redundant piece of the roster put them in a bad spot. I have no phobia of keeping good players. I have a phobia of keeping good players if it's the wrong situation (financially or when it comes to building a roster). Millsap was one of those times.

It was VERY apparent when Boozer was let go that he was not an answer. A Boozer led team could not compete against the length of the Laker's front line. He folded like a card table and basically became a wuss who sat out games with a hangnail. Couple that with his famous quote about "getting paid" regardless. You gonna continue to build a team around that guy? He then went to Chicago and did exactly jack and squat.

A far more devastating issue was Okur's injury. Once he went down, semi-permanently, we were kinda screwed. Our spacing disappeared and we just didn't have the shooters to recover. People criminally underrate Okur on this board.

you're one of the best posters on this site, but this post is trash. Strawman + childishly shuts off certain perspectives that had good points for the thrill of shutting down all dissenting opinions. Pretty gross. You can leave last offseason in peace, since even Lyndsey admitted to playing it too conservatively. And I'm certainly done with it at this point.

au revior

ROFL. NAOS is going to talk about how being childish shuts off certain perspectives? You can't make this stuff up.

And it's Lindsey fwiw, adult.

It was VERY apparent when Boozer was let go that he was not an answer. A Boozer led team could not compete against the length of the Laker's front line. He folded like a card table and basically became a wuss who sat out games with a hangnail. Couple that with his famous quote about "getting paid" regardless. You gonna continue to build a team around that guy? He then went to Chicago and did exactly jack and squat.

A far more devastating issue was Okur's injury. Once he went down, semi-permanently, we were kinda screwed. Our spacing disappeared and we just didn't have the shooters to recover. People criminally underrate Okur on this board.

This is true. Can you imagine a healthy Memo with Big Al? That would've been a pretty dangerous team.