What's new

Stars Season Opener Game Thread: 8PM Mountain Time

I notice there are zero "I can't wait for Hendricks to prove you wrong" posts directed at Cy. Strange, since people love to dunk on him for being wrong all the time. You guys should be so confident that Hendricks will turn out well and Cy will take the L.

He didn't want to pick they guy, and he's been very disappointing so far, albeit very early on. So yea, he's hyper critical. No one is arguing his against his actual basketball takes or saying why Hendricks will figure it out though. Just yelling at Cy for being mean.

Idk that seems kinda telling to me.
Dude the callouts are not at all about his takes on Hendricks. Cy posted self-compiled commented lowlight reels along with a dozen hate posts, even tagged and flamed Andy Larsen and essentially buried Hendricks as a bust calling it a wasted pick.

It was excessive, premature and most likely targeted towards specific poster(s). Thats why I called him out. I had no stakes in the predraft.

Worst part is HH called it would happen in the 3rd post of this thread.
Great can’t wait to hear about every bad thing Tay Henny does.

Eh... I think some people legitimately are rooting against THT now just so Cy can look worse. They have become everything they were supposed to hate.

No reason a message board can't react in real time to what is happening. Especially now that he is actually on a basketball court. Everyone is hoping that he's figuring it out and will get better in time, but obviously wish we would could have seen more to get hopeful about that possibility by now.
Fan how you want... I'm simply saying maybe we don't need to write him off or lament the pick. It just shows how small and silly the sample size is. Folks judging him on 5 minutes of not looking wonderful playing sick in a game. All of us wanted to see more of him for sure. Its just a little bit much.

Fan how you want... I'm simply saying maybe we don't need to write him off or lament the pick. It just shows how small and silly the sample size is. Folks judging him on 5 minutes of not looking wonderful playing sick in a game. All of us wanted to see more of him for sure. Its just a little bit much.

I agree, me personally it just sucks seeing Black look good starting when I knew he was going to.

Semantics maybe due to not knowing what the price to move up was but still.

100+ comments on a g-league game you gotta love it baby! It's hard to know if Cy is just doing a constant bit, but I will give him credit and say he's been consistent in how he feels about Hendricks before and after the draft. I was fairly lukewarm on Hendricks, but I definitely felt that if you went against the grain against him a little bit his supporters would go crazy.

Me personally, I would drop him lower than I had. What I liked about Hendricks is that I thought he could play right away. His offensive role is so limited, but important nonetheless and I thought he could shoot it. Early returns not great, but I still think he can make open shots at a decent clip right now. Defensively is where I think I made the bigger misread as he does not seem to be close to ready. He's not doomed or anything, but I think his main selling point was the ability to contribute and get on the court quickly. That's kind of out the window. OTOH, I never saw him as a high potential prospect and I still don't think he is.

I’m still a believer… I think the only guy (other than Keyonte) that I would take over him is Cason… and I honestly had them close to a coin flip. The health/back stuff was the only kinda weird stuff out there that gave me pause.

100+ comments on a g-league game you gotta love it baby! It's hard to know if Cy is just doing a constant bit, but I will give him credit and say he's been consistent in how he feels about Hendricks before and after the draft. I was fairly lukewarm on Hendricks, but I definitely felt that if you went against the grain against him a little bit his supporters would go crazy.

Me personally, I would drop him lower than I had. What I liked about Hendricks is that I thought he could play right away. His offensive role is so limited, but important nonetheless and I thought he could shoot it. Early returns not great, but I still think he can make open shots at a decent clip right now. Defensively is where I think I made the bigger misread as he does not seem to be close to ready. He's not doomed or anything, but I think his main selling point was the ability to contribute and get on the court quickly. That's kind of out the window. OTOH, I never saw him as a high potential prospect and I still don't think he is.
I think getting on the court quickly was a feature (hopefully) but was never the main selling point. The selling point is him being a super role player 3-D player that could allow some flexibility on sizing up or down. The defense was really passive in preseason but he did have one nice transition block in the game so I think its in there if he gets more comfortable.

Him not being NBA ready is a bummer but there are a lot of guys (upperclassmen usually) that are billed as "NBA Ready" that come in and struggle. Is it great... nah. As you mentioned its not like he's doomed.

I think getting on the court quickly was a feature (hopefully) but was never the main selling point. The selling point is him being a super role player 3-D player that could allow some flexibility on sizing up or down. The defense was really passive in preseason but he did have one nice transition block in the game so I think its in there if he gets more comfortable.

Him not being NBA ready is a bummer but there are a lot of guys (upperclassmen usually) that are billed as "NBA Ready" that come in and struggle. Is it great... nah. As you mentioned its not like he's doomed.
Hendricks himself may not be doomed yet, but the fact that he's not even an NBA player at this point has probably stretched the rebuilding timeline by several years.

Let's not start rewriting history: he was supposed to be a guy who can contribute right away on a high level. He was NOT drafted as a project.

Hendricks himself may not be doomed yet, but the fact that he's not even an NBA player at this point has probably stretched the rebuilding timeline by several years.
Sounds like you were relying too much on a single 9th pick in a draft to save a rebuild or something. Draft picks miss on the regular. And it looks like we hit on #16. You are being a bit dramatic here.

Let's not start rewriting history: he was supposed to be a guy who can contribute right away on a high level. He was NOT drafted as a project.
Respectfully... nah.

We needed one of the rookies to pan out. I think Keyonte is doing as well as anyone could have expected. If we got two hits then you are ahead of schedule imo. You can whiff on a top ten pick and not have it cost years... similarly if he was playing average for a bench player for 10-15 minutes it doesn't really speed up the timeline. This isn't like Dante Exum and if it was we already got the George Hill (John Collins) to supplement the position while he figures it out.

I love that we got the only 19 year old in history that was drafted to be a win now player and not a project.

Respectfully... nah.

We needed one of the rookies to pan out. I think Keyonte is doing as well as anyone could have expected. If we got two hits then you are ahead of schedule imo. You can whiff on a top ten pick and not have it cost years... similarly if he was playing average for a bench player for 10-15 minutes it doesn't really speed up the timeline. This isn't like Dante Exum and if it was we already got the George Hill (John Collins) to supplement the position while he figures it out.

I love that we got the only 19 year old in history that was drafted to be a win now player and not a project.
I may be mistaken, but werent you beating the drum the loudest about how NBA ready and how his skillset was a direct translation?

I may be mistaken, but werent you beating the drum the loudest about how NBA ready and how his skillset was a direct translation?
I am sure I contributed to it. I still think if you asked him to do the Ochai from last season he could get on the court for 10-15 minutes and survive. I really didn't think he would come in and play 25-30 minutes a night and be some big positive. There are so few rookies that are... even at the top of the draft. I also think once a guy misses the whole summer league it impacts their rookie year fairly significantly. Unless they are on a pure tanking team and being gifted minutes it would be hard seeing guys with no summer league coming in and playing a role in the first 15-20 games of the year.

I just think the idea that he's ready now is not why the Jazz took him. I think they knew it was a project but maybe hoped for some utility. If they think he is NBA ready they don't go get Collins imo... if the biggest appeal is "he can play right away" why do that?

If he had come in healthy and done what he needed there was a path to playing time that was easy to see based on projected skillset. Its not there yet (we think anyway... its been literally like 10 minutes) but he's 19 so why all the hand wringing.