What's new

Start Keyonte George

I'm worried about Brice, although admittedly I never believed in him. He's got a loooooong way to go.
Luckily, missing on picks that late in the draft is not a big deal. Hendricks needs to be a rotation player though.

We will never know what we have unless we play the rooks. It's not like we are going anywhere with these vets anyways.

Bypassing Julian Strawther to draft Sensabaugh isn't looking very good at the moment.
Agreed. And the fact remains that late firsts are usually misses.

Maybe I'm wrong but don't think Keyonte gets the keys until they trade Clarkson in January/February.

Reading between the lines it sure seemed Sarah Todd was hinting at the same point the other night. It would just cause too much issue in the lockerroom to make Key the starter at this point. There's one guy in the starting lineup, who is also making $25 mil this season, with seniority on this team and highly doubt they take the starting job from him to let Key or even Ochai start. They will also need another bigger ballhandling 2 way wing to play next to Keyonte but that guy is not on the roster yet.
For sure, a bigger, ball-handling two-way wing/guard - that's the way to go.

It is... but in the G League. Give him 10-15 games at least down there to not look completely out of sorts when he comes up.
I’m curious if anyone has an example where someone’s career was harmed by playing too soon. We could easily see “hey, this person isn’t ready,” but is there actually any specific case examples that can be referenced of how something like that had a negative effect on career trajectory, aside from people who just weren’t cut for it to begin with? Not saying that’s exactly what you’re saying, but it’s taken as a given in the basketball word of playing guys too soon is this harmful idea of playing with fire but I really don’t think there’s any case where you can say some guy didn’t reach their potential because they were thrown out there “too soon” and it compromised their development.

In Hendricks’ case, the only thing we have to lose is having a guy on the floor that hurts us because he’s not ready. But that really doesn’t seem to matter.

I’m curious if anyone has an example where someone’s career was harmed by playing too soon. We could easily see “hey, this person isn’t ready,” but is there actually any specific case examples that can be referenced of how something like that had a negative effect on career trajectory, aside from people who just weren’t cut for it to begin with? Not saying that’s exactly what you’re saying, but it’s taken as a given in the basketball word of playing guys too soon is this harmful idea of playing with fire but I really don’t think there’s any case where you can say some guy didn’t reach their potential because they were thrown out there “too soon” and it compromised their development.

In Hendricks’ case, the only thing we have to lose is having a guy on the floor that hurts us because he’s not ready. But that really doesn’t seem to matter.
Can't think of a lot of good specific examples that didn't have other circumstances. I think its good to gradually build them up though. Don't want the completely losing confidence. I think like anything each player is a little different. I think getting some grasp of where he is on the court and the NBA 3 point line and such will be really good for Taylor before its just on the big stage. I think there are guys like Jalen Green that can develop bad habits and stuff like that if they are just given minutes and not really asked to play the right way.

When Taylor was out there you could see him thinking. I think its fair to let him ramp up since he didn't have a full summer. 10-15 games down there and then force feed him 15 minutes a night (but give him room to eff up so he is actually aggressive on defense).

What?.... you are looking at one prime example every other day.

Collin Sexton.

Think there should have been a better development path than self-creating non-passing slasher with his combination of size, speed, handle and shooting? Dude also works so hard to learn out of the bad habits he picked up in CLE.

They gave him 30++ mpg to be a tank commander, and now thats what he is.

Collin Sexton.

Think there should have been a better development path than self-creating non-passing slasher with his combination of size, speed, handle and shooting? Dude also works so hard to learn out of the bad habits he picked up in CLE.

So you think he’s a different player now? By how much, and 5 years down the road is there any appreciable difference?

Collin Sexton.

On the other hand, many thought he would be a 6th man of the year candidate this season, he has made hella money and got a nice second contract and he was the center piece that got cleveland donovan mitchell. He is a short dude who was never known as a shooter or passer in his pre nba career. Didn't turn out too bad all things considered. (Im also not counting his career as over)

Maybe if they bring him along slower then he suddenly becomes a better passer and shooter? Maybe he doesn't though as well and then is less of a known commodity for what he is actually good at and he makes less money and utah doesn't trade them donovan mitchell.

No way to know really.

Also, the question was about giving dudes minutes early on. They could have given him minutes early on in cleveland and told him to shoot less and pass more etc. Maybe trying to force a square peg into a round hole would have actually hurt his development. Confidence is also a big part of his game so maybe if he doesn't get minutes early on he loses some confidence.

Again, no way to really know. With any player. Kind of an unanswereable question to be honest.

Last edited:

Collin Sexton.

Yep he's a poster child for getting drafted to the wrong organization. As I recall Cleveland was a mess after Lebron left the last time going thru like 4 head coaches in 2 years or something stupid like that. He was always going to have issues due to his size but they did no favors letting him be their "Jordan Poole" tank commander until he injured himself. Now he's obviously struggling to play in a system and you can see Hardy is frustrated too.

I think he will eventually be alright once he realizes what he is in this current league..a microwave 6th man. He needs to be on a team with other bigger 2 way playmakers/shooters to hide some of his deficiencies too. Back in the day you could roll out an Isaiah Thomas(Celtic version) or Kemba small scoring guard but the league has moved away from those types the past handful of years. I think it's another reason the current Cav experiment with Don and Garland is going to ultimately fail too but that's another topic.

So you think he’s a different player now? By how much, and 5 years down the road is there any appreciable difference?
I think he has progressed a bit here, but its been hard for him. I dont know what the future holds.. but I hope he has some late career glow up cause the dude deserves it.

I don't think Collin is any different today if he didn't get the burn he did with Cleveland.

An example I can think of is Chandler Hutchison who is now out of the league. He was a first round pick selected right after Grayson Allen. He was thrust into a rotation role and quickly lost confidence.

On the other hand, many thought he would be a 6th man of the year candidate this season, he has made hella money and got a nice second contract and he was the center piece that got cleveland donovan mitchell. He is a short dude who was never known as a shooter or passer in his pre nba career. Didn't turn out too bad all things considered. (Im also not counting his career as over)

Maybe if they bring him along slower then he suddenly becomes a better passer and shooter? Maybe he doesn't though as well and then is less of a known commodity for what he is actually good at and he makes less money and utah doesn't trade them donovan mitchell.

No way to know really.

Also, the question was about giving dudes minutes early on. They could have given him minutes early on in cleveland and told him to shoot less and pass more etc. Maybe trying to force a square peg into a round hole would have actually hurt his development. Confidence is also a big part of his game so maybe if he doesn't get minutes early on he loses some confidence.

Again, no way to really know. With any player. Kind of an unanswereable question to be honest.
He is 24 year old who was a 50/39/82 efficiency scorer last year who has handles and John Wall type of speed.

Yet he gets 4th most minutes in the worst backcourt in the NBA because he cannot play team basketball.

That has early career coaching failure written all over it.

I don't think Collin is any different today if he didn't get the burn he did with Cleveland.
So if there was accountability to develop his passing, playmaking or defense to earn his minutes he still doesnt develop them with that drive and work ethic that he has?

Quite the fatalistic view.

He is 24 year old who was a 50/39/82 efficiency scorer last year who has handles and John Wall type of speed.

Yet he gets 4th most minutes in the worst backcourt in the NBA because he cannot play team basketball.

That has early career coaching failure written all over it.
So less minutes equals better player? Not sure there is any possible way that can be quantified.

So if there was accountability to develop his passing, playmaking or defense to earn his minutes he still doesnt develop them with that drive and work ethic that he has?

Well his career high for assists per 36 was in cleveland. Hardy seems to have been coaching Sexton pretty hard since his arrival to pass more and play better defense. He seems to be at his absolute worst currently. Maybe some players are better off playing to their strengths and Hardy should be using him just like he was used in cleveland.

Its not at all... passing and playmaking may be one of the most unteachable things there is. Has he improved with that work ethic now? Is it because he didn't work on it in Cleveland?

His problems are mostly being small and being a low BBall IQ guy. I don't think that is the fault of his early development. There is only so much improvement that can be made on things. Like if he only gets 15 minutes a night while watching some mid vet he would be CP3?