What's new

Stein: Jazz targeting Grant then Covington

Some of these trade proposals are giving up a lot
If these trades don't work Jazz may be at a dead end

Mortgaging the teams future picks in the hope that the team will suddenly jell and play defense. The inability to stop penetration happens EVERYWHERE on the court. Reggie Jackson and Terrance Mann were getting whatever they wanted. Most teams, including a healthy clipper team, have even better stars.

Bogey seems to finally be getting back into form after a lingering wrist injury, and he chose to come here. I wouldn't want to trade him.

JC should definitely be on the block, as should Royce if moving either can improve our D and spacing. I really like Conley, but with the rest of our small backcourt, they don't work well together against the larger backcourts of pretty much every other team in the league, and he may have decent trade value for the right team. If by a miracle they can get rid of his salary and bring back a complementary player you have to consider that too.

Before we prioritize any large trade, they need to examine the team philosophy on defense, and why the team isn't getting motivated to play with more focus.

Mortgaging the teams future picks in the hope that the team will suddenly jell and play defense. The inability to stop penetration happens EVERYWHERE on the court. Reggie Jackson and Terrance Mann were getting whatever they wanted. Most teams, including a healthy clipper team, have even better stars.

Bogey seems to finally be getting back into form after a lingering wrist injury, and he chose to come here. I wouldn't want to trade him.

JC should definitely be on the block, as should Royce if moving either can improve our D and spacing. I really like Conley, but with the rest of our small backcourt, they don't work well together against the larger backcourts of pretty much every other team in the league, and he may have decent trade value for the right team. If by a miracle they can get rid of his salary and bring back a complementary player you have to consider that too.

Before we prioritize any large trade, they need to examine the team philosophy on defense, and why the team isn't getting motivated to play with more focus.
That last part is partly personnel and the fact that we have too many guys who either don't have the physical ability or will to play defense, or who don't get it. But mostly it is on the coach. There is obviously not a lot of drills on defense going on. They fully admitted they never practice a zone. What else are they neglecting in this area? Obvious stopping dribble penetration is one area we do not practice. We also do not practice stopping the ball in transition. There have been times where all we needed was someone to stop the ball handler, literally just get in his way, and we had a guy there to do just that, and instead he stepped aside, let the ball handler go by, to take the "euro foul" ********. That is a clear sign we do not practice some of the most basic principles on defense since we can just foul to stop momentum when we need to, instead of playing real defense in those situation. Hence our guys are not practiced at it, they are not motivated to do it, and they don't have the drive from the coach to play defense. The coach needs to change his approach to defense, or the coach needs to be changed.

That last part is partly personnel and the fact that we have too many guys who either don't have the physical ability or will to play defense, or who don't get it. But mostly it is on the coach. There is obviously not a lot of drills on defense going on. They fully admitted they never practice a zone. What else are they neglecting in this area? Obvious stopping dribble penetration is one area we do not practice. We also do not practice stopping the ball in transition. There have been times where all we needed was someone to stop the ball handler, literally just get in his way, and we had a guy there to do just that, and instead he stepped aside, let the ball handler go by, to take the "euro foul" ********. That is a clear sign we do not practice some of the most basic principles on defense since we can just foul to stop momentum when we need to, instead of playing real defense in those situation. Hence our guys are not practiced at it, they are not motivated to do it, and they don't have the drive from the coach to play defense. The coach needs to change his approach to defense, or the coach needs to be changed.
The euro foul utilization exposes everything about our defensive philosophy and what effort, or lack thereof, is put in to it.

Exactly. Some players are just not at the right place or time to be appreciated.

Seems like Miles and Monk have done quite well.
It's called the buy low window and we just haven't been able to take advantage. Like buying a backup center from Detroit or a PF taken out of second round by one of the worst teams in the league in 2004. Both turned out pretty well for us.

RoCo and Grant are what we call sell high. They were both available at a very affordable price but we missed the window. Now we have to overpay to get these guys.

We don't want to be the ones looking back and say to ourselves "we should've gone for Miles Bridges in 2020, or "Jerami Grant in 2019", etc. That's just not how you win in a trade market.

The Grant problem is a salary one. We'd probably need to package Ingles along with either Royce or Gay plus the first round pick, but I'm not sure Detroit really wants those guys or their money on the books the next couple years considering we certainly don't ourselves.

Not to mention that Grant is going to get paid after next year by someone which very well could be us, but that means Bogey is 100% done which could be good or bad depending on your POV.

I still say Ingles may be more valuable to keep on the books as an expiring and I'd like to actually use a pick for once.

It's called the buy low window and we just haven't been able to take advantage. Like buying a backup center from Detroit or a PF taken out of second round by one of the worst teams in the league in 2004. Both turned out pretty well for us.

RoCo and Grant are what we call sell high. They were both available at a very affordable price but we missed the window. Now we have to overpay to get these guys.

We don't want to be the ones looking back and say to ourselves "we should've gone for Miles Bridges in 2020, or "Jerami Grant in 2019", etc. That's just not how you win in a trade market.
Exactly right and more people should read this post.

We passed on guys like PJ Tucker, Kuzma, Grant, and so many others. There are other guys we could have been more aggressive on - Chris Paul, DeRozan, Lonzo, others. We aren't for sure getting those guys, but I don't even know if we tried. Buying low is where it's at.

Smart is a buy low guy right now. He's the type guy who might come in and completely rejuvenate the team on the defensive end.

Collins is a buy low. The guy has all the talent in the world but something about Trae just doesn't work.

Maybe Levert is a good buy low like @Handlogten's Heros was saying.

Reactions: UB
Exactly right and more people should read this post.

We passed on guys like PJ Tucker, Kuzma, Grant, and so many others. There are other guys we could have been more aggressive on - Chris Paul, DeRozan, Lonzo, others. We aren't for sure getting those guys, but I don't even know if we tried. Buying low is where it's at.

Smart is a buy low guy right now. He's the type guy who might come in and completely rejuvenate the team on the defensive end.

Collins is a buy low. The guy has all the talent in the world but something about Trae just doesn't work.

Maybe Levert is a good buy low like @Handlogten's Heros was saying.
I'm out on Levert... the deeper I got the more I was like "no thanks". I think he thinks he's a number 1 or 2 scoring option.

I'm out on Levert... the deeper I got the more I was like "no thanks". I think he thinks he's a number 1 or 2 scoring option.
I don't know enough about him to make a judgment. I'll refer to your take on him, and we don't need that type of player unless he's willing to replace JC off the bench.

What unique rare trait or skill does Covington possess that the best GLeague player at his position doesn't?

Who is the G-League player who has consistently starred in defensive metrics for the 5+ years and has an All NBA defensive team under his belt?

I get the nitpicking on Covington and he probably was a little overrated, but people are far too down on him. It's gone the other direction.

What unique rare trait or skill does Covington possess that the best GLeague player at his position doesn't?
He’s one of the league leaders in deflections… he is the rare guy that can be a secondary rim protector and plays the passing lanes.

He’s one of the league leaders in deflections… he is the rare guy that can be a secondary rim protector and plays the passing lanes.
The dude was an undrafted free agent who put up decent numbers for the Sixers when they weren't great. Portland is going to want something for him. Our assets have all been squandered.

This is all just a smoke screen for the real trade which is bringing the golden child Gordon Hayward back to the Jazz.
He's actually exactly what we need. The douchebag.