What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

My SIL has a good job (nurse), no debt at all bc her parents paid for her schooling and she graduated top of her class, and she refuses to do more then the bare minimum when it comes to work hours. If ever it’s offered for more hours, she turns it down bc weekends are too important. Drives me nuts.

Girl could have enough money to pay off a house in 10-15 years, but just doesn’t want to work. Bah.

It's nutty around here. I had 4 sprinkler installers skip out on me 2 summers ago after coming over and giving a bid. It's even worse now. The labor market is insanely overheated to where anyone could get a $10-$11 hour side job and hired on the spot. Not much, I know, but there aren't anymore employees right now.

Oh tell me about employees. We pay about $15-16 for anybody coming in for farm labor, don’t offer overtime but typically they average 60+ hours spring through fall, and we can’t find people. It’s not great pay, but it’s not awful either.

Oh tell me about employees. We pay about $15-16 for anybody coming in for farm labor, don’t offer overtime but typically they average 60+ hours spring through fall, and we can’t find people. It’s not great pay, but it’s not awful either.

smfh. That's damn solid pay for out there. I guess people would rather just keep staying at home collecting their welfare checks for free rather than work for something.

smfh. That's damn solid pay for out there. I guess people would rather just keep staying at home collecting their welfare checks for free rather than work for something.

Sometimes. I think most of it is just that people don’t want to work 60+ hours. They want time to go hike, fish, etc.

Maybe I need to hit up the farmers around here. I have to get a 2nd job to help out family and would jump on that as a weekend gig. I already work 54 hour weeks with my commute but I'm about to go another 20, and you know I could use some phisical activity.

If anyone has any better ideas let me know. I'm hitting up labs for weekend shifts.

Maybe I need to hit up the farmers around here. I have to get a 2nd job to help out family and would jump on that as a weekend gig. I already work 54 hour weeks with my commute but I'm about to go another 20, and you know I could use some phisical activity.

If anyone has any better ideas let me know. I'm hitting up labs for weekend shifts.

If you were close I’d enslave....I mean hire you.

Sometimes. I think most of it is just that people don’t want to work 60+ hours. They want time to go hike, fish, etc.
I want to work about 20 hours a week and make the same money, and I think that's the way it should be.

If you were close I’d enslave....I mean hire you.

I'd love to learn any type of farming/ranching for $15/hr on the weakends. I tried to rent out hay fields back in 2007 when there was a shortage but couldnt figure out cutting and bailing rentals.

I might ask around for a full beef and milk in exchange for training and experience. This stuff is so large scale that it's getting forgotten.

It’s cause doing a small job like that doesn’t make them as much money, so they price it high in hopes you don’t take it.

With the market as high as it is, and construction booming, that’s what happens. It’ll correct in a couple years.
That is part of it but prices just jumped drastically. I got cement out in my back yard and paid 2k for it for a good size section. I needed some poured in my front yard 3 years later the same size and every quote I got was over 7k and some quotes as high as 11k.

I poured the front yard myself.

Have @bigb run your wiring first and put in a pvc pipe up through your concrete area for connecting the tub, or plan on having an exposed pvc line. Let me know if you need help pouring. 1.5 yards or so (10x12, 4 inch) is easy. If you're close to UCart you can save money on delivery. You're maybe $700 with lumber, another $600 max in float, trowels, stakes, etc.
Thanks. I actually already bigb for some wiring advice and already wired it. I'll have to look for a ucart. I'm pretty sure I have all the tools and maybe enough lumber sitting around but I'll have to check.

Mostly I just don't like pouring cement and have bigger projects at my house in working on.

I'm just finishing up turning my attic into a master suite. I got a little side tracked. When I ran the plumbing up there i decided to just pull all the plumbing out and replace it. Then I had to replace the water heater and decide to put in a gas tankless water heater and had to redo all the exhaust and gas lines.

Every project means 10 projects I didn't plan on. But it's a really old house from 1917.

Thanks. I actually already bigb for some wiring advice and already wired it. I'll have to look for a ucart. I'm pretty sure I have all the tools and maybe enough lumber sitting around but I'll have to check.

Mostly I just don't like pouring cement and have bigger projects at my house in working on.

I'm just finishing up turning my attic into a master suite. I got a little side tracked. When I ran the plumbing up there i decided to just pull all the plumbing out and replace it. Then I had to replace the water heater and decide to put in a gas tankless water heater and had to redo all the exhaust and gas lines.

Every project means 10 projects I didn't plan on. But it's a really old house from 1917.

Pics!

Dude I spent most of my twenties and early 30's working two jobs, i used to have two days off work a month, all shift work, then buying a business, yeah I made money but i missed out on a lot of important things in life, most of my peers are married and having kids, i've been at work. Suppose we always think of the path not taken.

I used to be in the mindset of work a lot and make a lot but it got to the point where the money was becoming less desirable and time moreso. It’s all about balance.

Tell me about it. I grew up in an Adobe house built in 1850's.

If you want to pay someone I'll do it for $500 over materials cost. I donate my labor and 1 more does to screed with me and my dad, who pours the best pad you'll ever get. He's had about 7 back and probably 20 joint surgeries and been disabled since 34, but is happy as a pig in **** when he can pour concrete, 2 Percocet later. That includes all the driving time and framing so it's a pretty damn good deal. He might net 300 in 2 days and 3 of us a sore back for a few days.

Tell me about it. I grew up in an Adobe house built in 1850's.

If you want to pay someone I'll do it for $500 over materials cost. I donate my labor and 1 more does to screed with me and my dad, who pours the best pad you'll ever get. He's had about 7 back and probably 20 joint surgeries and been disabled since 34, but is happy as a pig in **** when he can pour concrete, 2 Percocet later. That includes all the driving time and framing so it's a pretty damn good deal. He might net 300 in 2 days and 3 of us a sore back for a few days.
I'll keep that in mind when I decide to do it.

I used to be in the mindset of work a lot and make a lot but it got to the point where the money was becoming less desirable and time moreso. It’s all about balance.

Oh I wasn’t saying it’s bad, just what we have to deal with.

I personally love my work. Have no issue pulling 80-90 hour weeks.

Is that as a standard employee (you contribute to FICA, offer health insurance, etc.), or as contractors? It's a good rate for the former, not so much for the latter.

Girl who works for me, is nearly 10 years younger and gorgeous, wants to sleep with me. Not really a problem just wanted to gloat.

Did you have something worth gloating about?

At any rate, if you do come up with something, we have a thread "Reverse Pet Peeves" for that.

Is that as a standard employee (you contribute to FICA, offer health insurance, etc.), or as contractors? It's a good rate for the former, not so much for the latter.

Cut the nonsense. That's an excellent rate for a migrant worker living in Montana and potentialy getting way better free healthcare than they would receive in Mexico. Compare tge two situations before bitching and moaning. With overtime they are making the same rate as JST has said he makes.

He's paying migrants probably 5x the average income of Mexico City workers of only $850 per month. He's literally lifting people's families out of poverty with remittances and what not. You of all people should be high fiving a guy providing that to our neighbors from the south. But instead you jumped on your high horse and bitched and moaned.

Last edited: