What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

Is that as a standard employee (you contribute to FICA, offer health insurance, etc.), or as contractors? It's a good rate for the former, not so much for the latter.

Yes, FICA is paid. Contribute to retirement fund for full time employees. Don’t offer health insurance, we’re a small farm man, we can’t afford that. We do give $2,000 cash for medical every year and advise it be used in a HSA.

We do a few other things to help out where we can. Sent (paid for) two kids of a long time employee to a tech school they wanted to go to. Provide housing and vehicles.

Cut the nonsense. That's an excellent rate for a migrant worker living in Montana and potentialy getting way better free healthcare than they would receive in Mexico. Compare tge two situations before bitching and moaning. With overtime they are making the same rate as JST has said he makes.

He's paying migrants probably 5x the average income of Mexico City workers of only $850 per month. He's literally lifting people's families out of poverty with remittances and what not. You of all people should be high fiving a guy providing that to our neighbors from the south. But instead you jumped on your high horse and bitched and moaned.

Have to correct you here. Those aren’t migrant wages.

Believe we’re paying ~$11, healthcare, housing, and vehicles. Have to provide at least 40 hours a week.

Still not bad at all.

Have to correct you here. Those aren’t migrant wages.

Believe we’re paying ~$11, healthcare, housing, and vehicles. Have to provide at least 40 hours a week.

Still not bad at all.

I remember you saying that but but didn't want to misquote. That's a very fair package in comparison to foreign wages.

There's a reason USA leads the world in remittances. Those who think we can change the world politically be offering migrants "a living wage" are up in the night. These people are hard workers and provide their families back home with a better lifestyle than they could at home.

Did you have something worth gloating about?

At any rate, if you do come up with something, we have a thread "Reverse Pet Peeves" for that.

Got the fish on the hook, not in the boat yet, just gotta reel her in.

Anyway I'm a maverick, I post where i want.

Cut the nonsense. That's an excellent rate for a migrant worker living in Montana and potentialy getting way better free healthcare than they would receive in Mexico.

Sorry, I was thinking in terms of US citizens. I'm sure it's a great offer for the undocumented farm workers, but we have an administration actively trying to reduce their numbers in the US, and I hear the Mexican economy is not as bad as it was a decade ago.

Sorry, I was thinking in terms of US citizens. I'm sure it's a great offer for the undocumented farm workers, but we have an administration actively trying to reduce their numbers in the US, and I hear the Mexican economy is not as bad as it was a decade ago.

They’re not undocumented.

Nice to see you assume that migrant workers must be undocumented though.

The Mexican economy still sucks donkey dick for the vast majority of people.

My mistake for assuming idestroyedthetoilet had a clue about who works for you.

Well considering him and I have talked about it in-depth before, he has a pretty good idea.

You are aware you can get migrant workers legally through the government, right? The H2A program?

So uh...you’re not helping yourself here.

Well considering him and I have talked about it in-depth before, he has a pretty good idea.

You are aware you can get migrant workers legally through the government, right? The H2A program?

So uh...you’re not helping yourself here.

I was not aware. I just looked it up. There are about 140,000 under H-2A. According to https://www.saf-unite.org/content/united-states-farmworker-factsheet, there are more than 10 times as many undocumented farm workers. So, my experience was not that far out of line.

Has hiring under H-2A gotten more difficult in the last year or so, or has this always been a struggle? If the Mexican economy is still so bad, what are your guesses for why hiring has gotten more difficult?

I was not aware. I just looked it up. There are about 140,000 under H-2A. According to https://www.saf-unite.org/content/united-states-farmworker-factsheet, there are more than 10 times as many undocumented farm workers. So, my experience was not that far out of line.

Has hiring under H-2A gotten more difficult in the last year or so, or has this always been a struggle? If the Mexican economy is still so bad, what are your guesses for why hiring has gotten more difficult?

Since Trump, it’s actually been the easiest it’s ever been for us. Don’t think there’s a correlation though, tbh. But the H2A program is unnecessarily difficult. But it certainly hasn’t been more difficult in the last year.

The Mexican economy doesn’t have anything to do with ease/difficulty. It’s the paperwork on our side of the fence. Finding people is literally the easiest part of the process, it’s getting them over in time that’s the hard part.

Were the facts on undocumented workers wrong? I didn't read the rest of it. What didn't you like?

Don’t be obtuse.

This whole discussion has been sad from you, starting with the supposition that migrant workers MUST obviously be illegals. Sad OB, quite sad.