What's new

Summer 2019 Roster Discussion

I think they would be fine with it, unless they had a better player. That lineup would easily win the championship.

Of course they would win the title with that lineup because of the SC/KT/KD with Gobert protecting the paint. You could start Melo at PF and still win the title.

No offense to Favors, but if the Warriors had Curry, Klay, KD and Gobert, they wouldn't use their PF spot on a guy like Favors. They would use it on somebody with some kind of elite skill set on either the offensive or defensive end.

If he's not your primary C, I think Favors is fantastic bench big. There is a reason he only plays 23mpg. And it's not injuries, it's fit.
Why can't Favors be your starting C?

I said this before - If he's not your primary C, I think Favors is fantastic bench big.

I think Favors would be a wonderful starting C.
What is the difference between a primary C and a starting C?

edit: nvm I just got it

What is the difference between a primary C and a starting C?

edit: nvm I just got it
The primary center is a position in church ball. Though technically the center, they’re still quite undersized for any game, let alone the NBA.

Of course they would win the title with that lineup because of the SC/KT/KD with Gobert protecting the paint. You could start Melo at PF and still win the title.
They also would win the title with Tony Bradley starting for them I don't know when jazz people going accept Gobert not a top 20 player let alone top 10/

I'm sure I'm just echoing others, but Brogdon is my hope for the 2019 offseason. Maybe have to move Korver to free some cap, not sure if we have enough without?

Brogdon
Mitchell
Ingles
Favors
Gobert

Crowder/Royce/Exum (assuming he's not dead) as key bench pieces.

Grab a forward in the draft with some shooting potential (Horton-Tucker, Williams, Washington some of my favorites) in the draft.

I'm sure I'm just echoing others, but Brogdon is my hope for the 2019 offseason. Maybe have to move Korver to free some cap, not sure if we have enough without?

Brogdon
Mitchell
Ingles
Favors
Gobert

Crowder/Royce/Exum (assuming he's not dead) as key bench pieces.

Grab a forward in the draft with some shooting potential (Horton-Tucker, Williams, Washington some of my favorites) in the draft.
I would love Brogdon, but if the jazz want to maximize talent, sadly (because I love Favors) he needs to be upgraded. It should be Harris. Harris would want to sign with us because he’d have a bigger roll on offense with us.

I would love Brogdon, but if the jazz want to maximize talent, sadly (because I love Favors) he needs to be upgraded. It should be Harris. Harris would want to sign with us because he’d have a bigger roll on offense with us.

I suppose if you really like Harris that'd be fine, I'm not a big fan though.

As of today, I think the play this summer will be to decline on Favors then re-sign him to a long term deal making around $10 per year. Then let Rubio go while picking up Neto's option. This gives us roughly $20 million to play with.

Of course we could try to sign someone making more than $20, but I just don't think we can realistically expect anybody that big to have interest in signing with us over other options.

So the game becomes, how can we best use $20 million in cap?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I'd probably do $20 for Brogdon.

Not sure I see anybody else in that range I really like much. Could split it up into smaller chunks, Danny Green types, but I'd prefer that as the secondary plan.

Last edited:
I'd probably do $20 for Brogdon.

Not sure I see anybody else in that range I really like much. Could split it up into smaller chunks, Danny Green types, but I'd prefer that as the secondary plan.
Me too, but I think the secondary plan will become our only plan. The only guys I would spend $20+ on:

Harris
Brogdon
Randle
KD
Klay
Middleton
Kawhi
Kemba
Russell

I don't think we are realistically in the mix for any of those guys. So what do we do with $20?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

How good is Brogden without giannis

Bjelica is completely out of the rotation in Sacramento. Would be nice if we could nab him for cheap and address wing/guard with FA dollars.

Bjelica/Crowder/Royce is plenty stretch/smallball 4s. Can likely bring back Thabo on a minimum deal or keep Niang in case of emergency.

I wonder how this will impact their ability to re-sign Brogdon?

I wonder how this will impact their ability to re-sign Brogdon?

I doubt it will. I think they're going all-in since Giannis is an MVP type player now. If they cheap out while they're contenders, it might give him a reason to leave in a few years.

I doubt it will. I think they're going all-in since Giannis is an MVP type player now. If they cheap out while they're contenders, it might give him a reason to leave in a few years.

So you think they'll match even if someone offers him the max?

They can still pay the bill if they want, but I'd take it as a positive for us, they'll still have Middleton/Brogdon/Lopez/Mirotic all as free agents with ~30M in cap, they're going to have to go way way over to bring them all back.