What's new

Summer 2019 Roster Discussion

OKC is waaaay better than last year. Grant is a huge upgrade to Anthony and they now have Shröeder and Morris and a way better bench.

I’m thinking more long term I guess. They might beat us this year but I think Westbrook might have a rough decline as age sets in and they have no flexibility.

Getting out of the first round certainly helps our FA pitch but don’t think it’s necessary... getting to the conference finals I think is a huge huge boost to FA pitch.

I don’t think there’s a doubt that OKC, Denver, Portland, and Golden State have better rosters than us. The thing is, I think Quin is a better coach than everyone except Kerr. That’s the only thing that saves us from being stuck in nba purgatory, and gives us a chance against anyone except Golden state

As far as risk is concerned, I'd say holding off to swing big in free agency is way bolder than trading for a Niko Mirotic. It's ok to claim DL didn't make the move you wanted, but to claim he's refusing to take a risk is just silly. He's taking the biggest swing of all those currently available.

As far as risk is concerned, I'd say holding off to swing big in free agency is way bolder than trading for a Niko Mirotic. It's ok to claim DL didn't make the move you wanted, but to claim he's refusing to take a risk is just silly. He's taking the biggest swing of all those currently available.

I think what most of us are saying is that he’s been conservative to this point, but he’s been justified in doing so. I’m not mad he didn’t make a trade at the deadline. It preserved flexibility. It’s time to take that swing this summer.

I’ve acknowledged all along how big of a risk that is as it may very well end up resulting in 4 years and $130M of an over-30 Kevin Love.

I think what most of us are saying is that he’s been conservative to this point, but he’s been justified in doing so. I’m not mad he didn’t make a trade at the deadline. It preserved flexibility. It’s time to take that swing this summer.
I think there's some revisionist history even in claiming that much, though. He's taken some swings in the last couple years. George Hill, Rubio, hell, even trying to re-sign Hayward, instead of flipping for safer assets. Going hard after Conley was another swing.

I don't think we're that conservative. We traded up for Donovan. That seems like a no brainer right now... but imagine if the pick had been a bust (like any of the next 5-6 people taken after him)? We make all sorts of trades. I also don't think us running it back this year was because we are conservative ... i think it was completely justifiable given the market and the insane finish to the year.

I’ve acknowledged all along how big of a risk that is as it may very well end up resulting in 4 years and $130M of an over-30 Kevin Love.
I'm not singling anyone out in my remarks. It seems like there is a widely held view that DL has sat on his hands, and continues to do so. I think that's a demonstrably false take.

Also.. getting out of the first round hasn't helped us in FA either of the past two years... and OKC who was eliminated in the first round didn't have issues with FAs.. I don't think the argument that winning rounds helps attract players has any water at this point until we're actually a borderline contender

I don't think we're that conservative. We traded up for Donovan. That seems like a no brainer right now... but imagine if the pick had been a bust (like any of the next 5-6 people taken after him)? We make all sorts of trades. I also don't think us running it back this year was because we are conservative ... i think it was completely justifiable given the market and the insane finish to the year.

Imagine what? We traded Lyles for him. Who gives a ****.

There’s nothing revisionist about it. It was a no brainer.

I'm not singling anyone out in my remarks. It seems like there is a widely held view that DL has sat on his hands, and continues to do so. I think that's a demonstrably false take.

I won’t say he sits on his hands... I have no doubt he hustles and works hard. He is less inclined to make change and on the conservative end of the GM spectrum. It’s not good or bad... it’s just how I’d describe him.

He values flexibility and has maintained it seemingly in perpetuity... there have been some potential opportunities to use it and we haven’t. Now this summer it is crap or get off the pot time... so let’s see what he can do.

Imagine what? We traded Lyles for him. Who gives a ****.

There’s nothing revisionist about it. It was a no brainer.

I remember seeing that trade on twitter and thinking... what else did we give them? And the answer was nothing and I was like quick no take backs.

Also.. getting out of the first round hasn't helped us in FA either of the past two years... and OKC who was eliminated in the first round didn't have issues with FAs.. I don't think the argument that winning rounds helps attract players has any water at this point until we're actually a borderline contender

We didn’t try in free agency this summer... the summer two years ago hayward left us high and dry.

It isn’t the end all be all... but if you show you are up and coming a team might consider themselves the missing piece... might not be a big deal to the big fish but guys looking at equal mid level type deals might be more intrigued.

I won’t say he sits on his hands... I have no doubt he hustles and works hard. He is less inclined to make change and on the conservative end of the GM spectrum. It’s not good or bad... it’s just how I’d describe him.

He values flexibility and has maintained it seemingly in perpetuity... there have been some potential opportunities to use it and we haven’t. Now this summer it is crap or get off the pot time... so let’s see what he can do.

Great post. Exactly how I feel too.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

So with Dell Demps getting the boot is Jrue Holiday back on the menu for the summer?

Nah... they will retool around him. Only chance is if pelicans don’t get Tatum or guys that can help now for AD and then decide to get more draft capital that will fit the rebuild. Like if NY landed the 2nd or 3rd pick and threw that pick and a pile of others with Knox and Smith for AD. Even then I don’t see is with the best package.

Prolly best to file holiday in the Bradley Beal pile of players that would be awesome but are likely out of our reach.

Juat wanted to put this out there....

Donovan is very connected to his draft class. The kind of connection that makes me think it's just a matter of time before he links up with one of them.

We talk so much about getting players in their prime (Tobias, Jrue, Conley, Mirotic, Gallo, etc) to build a contender when maybe we should be targeting one of "his guys" who will hit their prime with DM. If we are worried about Donovan potentially leaving down the road, moves like this could ease that worry.

In three or four years, if the only quality guys on the roster are 30+ Gobert, O'Neale, Grayson, Exum, and maybe other low draft picks taken along the way, what keeps Donovan from thinking about moving on to link up with a buddy?

Juat wanted to put this out there....

Donovan is very connected to his draft class. The kind of connection that makes me think it's just a matter of time before he links up with one of them.

We talk so much about getting players in their prime (Tobias, Jrue, Conley, Mirotic, Gallo, etc) to build a contender when maybe we should be targeting one of "his guys" who will hit their prime with DM. If we are worried about Donovan potentially leaving down the road, moves like this could ease that worry.

In three or four years, if the only quality guys on the roster are 30+ Gobert, O'Neale, Grayson, Exum, and maybe other low draft picks taken along the way, what keeps Donovan from thinking about moving on to link up with a buddy?

Get one of his guys? When? In 5.5 years?

Get one of his guys? When? In 5.5 years?
No sooner, but it's not gonna happen overnight of course. I think we need to have a short term plan to accumulate assets. We aren't gonna sign one of these young guys in free agency so we need accumulate assets for a move later.

For example, we should look at trading our 1st this year for what might become a better 1st in 2020. Even if the pick we get is protected, it would still have more value than ours this year.

And if we miss on big targets, instead of just filling our cap space with Favors + whoever will take our money, maybe we can get a 2020 pick by taking on a bad one year deal.

If we did those two moves, we could trade 3 1st round picks in the 2020 draft in order to acquire somebody.