What's new

Summer League Thread

Jordan Hawkins SL struggles a fluke or legit?

I think his shooting struggles have to be a fluke, he is too good of a shooter to be shooting this badly.

I've only watched half a game of his and then some highlights, but he does look a little out of place, like he isn't sure how he can impact games. Looking at his stats and he is rebounding ok and getting some assists, so that seems positive. Probably the biggest watch out for him is his 4.7 turnovers per game.

If I was a Pelican's fan I might be freaking out. As a casual observer I'm not too concerned.

I said in the draft thread that I would most likely be the most wrong about NSJ. It's only summer league, so I'm not going there yet, but I'm getting more ready to eat crow on my NSJ takes (that he's not an NBA player).
NSJ, Miller, and Ball will be a pretty fun trio potentially. 3 extremely long and shifty ball handlers.

ROY could be wide open this year
Lot of very good players putting up very good games right now
I think people are overthinking this. The only way Wemby loses is if he doesn't meet the games played thing. I think he will meet it fairly easily

I think people are overthinking this. The only way Wemby loses is if he doesn't meet the games played thing. I think he will meet it fairly easily
Unless he busts. Doubtful he will, but let's be honest, nothing is certain. ROY is always open until the contenders really separate themselves. Wemby's a favorite, but he hasn't been "welcomed to the NBA", as of yet. And let's be frank, dude's going to have a target on this back because of the hype coming with him.

Unless he busts. Doubtful he will, but let's be honest, nothing is certain. ROY is always open until the contenders really separate themselves. Wemby's a favorite, but he hasn't been "welcomed to the NBA", as of yet. And let's be frank, dude's going to have a target on this back because of the hype coming with him.
He wont bust. It's not a question lmfao. The literal only way he bust is due to injury. The guy is a walking DPOY candidate from Day 1.

He wont bust. It's not a question lmfao. The literal only way he bust is due to injury. The guy is a walking DPOY candidate from Day 1.
I'm going to disagree there. He can get bodied by more muscular players and traditionally Bigs don't make a living on the perimeter in that regard. Give him some time to get a bit of mass and he should be good there.

Do I think he'll bust? No. It is possible? Yes. But he went to one of the best environments possible, so it's not likely. However, nothing is certain.

Mike Daum had 22 points for the Kings last night and 7 boards off the bench. I wonder if the Jazz might be interested? He would be a bigger body.

I'm going to disagree there. He can get bodied by more muscular players and traditionally Bigs don't make a living on the perimeter in that regard. Give him some time to get a bit of mass and he should be good there.

Do I think he'll bust? No. It is possible? Yes. But he went to one of the best environments possible, so it's not likely. However, nothing is certain.
He can not gain another pound of muscle and never make a 3pt shot and still not be a bust because he is a generational defender.

It's quite literally impossible for him to bust unless he tears multiple muscles.

He can not gain another pound of muscle and never make a 3pt shot and still not be a bust because he is a generational defender.

It's quite literally impossible for him to bust unless he tears multiple muscles.
Victor Gobert?

Also, they said the same thing about Zion. Dude have the talent? Yeah. But he's also very, very injury prone and has some fitness issues. As such, I don't think he's worth the mantle heaped upon him and is a bust in that regard.

Victor Gobert?

Also, they said the same thing about Zion. Dude have the talent? Yeah. But he's also very, very injury prone and has some fitness issues. As such, I don't think he's worth the mantle heaped upon him and is a bust in that regard.
Brother what?

If Zion is in the court no one considers him anything close to a bust.

Also Vic is on a different mental level when it comes to wanting it .

Right now all the injury issues are theoretical what ifs on Wemby. There are dudes in this class who can't even play more than 1 SL game despite not playing for months.

Brother what?

Right now all the injury issues are theoretical what ifs on Wemby. There are dudes in this class who can't even play more than 1 SL game despite not playing for months.
Vic loves playing basketball and has shown more professionalism about taking care of his body as a teenager than Zion likely ever will. Extremely intelligent.

His size and the way guys can get under him may lead to some ankle/knee stuff but he's been pretty durable. With big men its usually the feet that become chronic (at least based on my memory). I think he likely stays healthy but SA will be conservative if he has an ankle sprain or two he may not meet the games played requirement. If he is close though they won't shut him down at the end of the year and we will some nonsense across the board to meet that requirement. The old check in take a foul and check out.

I don't think he is a "good bet" because last I saw the odds he was a heavy heavy favorite. I'd probably rather choose the guy I like best from the group of players below him that are like 7-8 to 1 type odds. I think Chet is a good one if he stays healthy... more concerned on him because he already had the foot issue and watching him in summer league he hit the deck like 7 times... you don't want to fall down that much so he needs to adjust something.

Brother what?

Noted the key word there for you. Dude is approaching Exum levels of dedness and availability.

You are correct about Wemby. I've little doubt he'll live up to expectations. But injury concerns with him are real based on his history and physique. He also has holes in his game that comes with his age and current physique. He'll be fine once he adds a few pounds and fills out. But he will contribute and will probably be a ROTY. The only thing I'm pointing out is it's not certain. Nothing is. Chet will have some say on that and KG might be a darkhorse. That's all I'm saying.

Voters are getting smarter, but ROY is still generally won by the guy who scores the most points, and I think the race for highest ppg out of the rookies is fairly open.