What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

Right now fear and outrage are the dominating driving forces of our political machine. It is the outcome of twitter and facebook changing our entire discourse from articles with real details to soundbites. We have always been swayed by soundbites, but never have we had so many such soundbites, from so many people, driving such strong groupthink and mob mentality as we have now in facebook, twitter and other social media. In seconds you can find hundreds of people who will happily reinforce your own biases and raise it to a fever pitch. That is what you are seeing now directly from the political leaders themselves, who are simply parroting what they have already reinforced on social media. Any and all discourse overwhelmed by waves and waves of catchy slogans and destructive hyperbolic rhetoric in less than 280 characters at a time. It will ultimately be the downfall of the country, imo. First, the dangers of the 2-party system destroying actual choice and the need for impactful policy-making, now the onslaught of social media dragging the masses along for the ride. We are well on our way down the slippery slope.
On a serious note, this is one of the top issues in this century; how we distribute and consume information. It effects:

1. Our knowledge and temperament. Not everything is a dramatic Facebook debate or twitter post. Often, people are attacking their neighbors and colleagues in ways completely unhelpful and unhealthy.

2. The info we consume and the way we consume it has detrimental effects on our communities and world. I saw the other day that school districts in Denver had to issue our statements clarifying that students aren’t identifying as animals and that no kitty litter stations have been placed in school restrooms. Isn’t it sad that had to be stated? How are big problems like climate change, wealth inequality, etc supposed to be addressed when people think vaccines are bad and deny climate change even exists?

Kanye hated that someone in the blm used funds incorrectly. Unlike trump who used the stop the steal money and the build the wall money and the trump foundation charity money all exactly how it was supposed to be used.
Kanye isnt a hypocrite at all. Nope

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Fake news. Trump is great, the wall has already been built, BLM framed Trump for Jan 6, Fauci and globalists invented Covid, gas prices inflation and let’s go Brandon yippppeeeee!

Hershel Walker imploding in October was the most predictable thing I’ve ever seen. It’s just amazing how bad Republicans are at this. They’ve got the world’s most comprehensive propaganda apparatus, the world’s richest men, the American judicial system, and the world’s worst candidates. Just amazing that they still suck so bad.

This is just brutal

View: https://twitter.com/sollenbergerrc/status/1577071370457923584?s=46&t=BsP-mDXfRBITdYz9zBBzKA

View: https://twitter.com/christianwalk1r/status/1577104266543497216?s=46&t=BsP-mDXfRBITdYz9zBBzKA

View: https://twitter.com/christianwalk1r/status/1577105221775679488?s=46&t=BsP-mDXfRBITdYz9zBBzKA

View: https://twitter.com/christianwalk1r/status/1577101530586484736?s=46&t=BsP-mDXfRBITdYz9zBBzKA

Repubs should’ve never put this empty husk of a man in this position. But hey, they wanted a crazy celeb cuz that worked in 2016, and they wanted a black guy to peel off black Warnock voters.

I’m sure Repubs on here will be calling for Walker to drop out. After all, he claims he’s pro life yet pays his mistresses to get abortions. Seems kinda hypocritical to me.

None on the right actually care about the moral consistency of their representatives. They only care about winning at all costs.

The only thing I'll say is that if abortion is murder, according to them, then what is our guy Hershel Walker guilty of? Hmm I'm beginning to suspect they don't actually think it's murder after they inevitably turn around and support him.

Last edited:
The only thing I'll say is that if abortion is murder...
It isn't murder. It is homicide. Murder is a criminal offense while homicide is the killing of a human. An abortion may someday be murder but as of today it is only homicide.

...then what is our guy Hershel Walker guilty of?
He would be a party to homicide, which in this case is not a crime but it is a moral failing.

I find this Poll very interesting.

1. Fentanyl as being the most important issue for a midterm voter. Over Economy, crime, immigration or inflation.

2. Climate Change being the top media issue for voters over the Ukraine war. Even though many issues with the economy, energy and other issues, which are byproducts of the war.
87C72E4E-5A55-40AC-A3C7-B600661E7BDD.jpeg

3. It looks like voters are realizing there are many more issues to be concerned with now. Just a decade ago, voters were concerned with just Economy (includes jobs, taxes, deficit), Healthcare and Education.
Gun Control, immigration and abortion are issues that the voters didn’t have a major concern with then. Well, it doesn’t look like voters are concerned with gun control now, just overall crime. Immigration and Abortion doubled in concern in 10 years.

37069136-8ED4-4BFC-9D47-2CCAF30D2E95.jpeg

Thousands pardoned for simple possession of MJ.

Awesome!

Now it's time (long overdue) to end federal prohibition and criminalization.

EDIT: fixed the spelling of "overdue"

Last edited:

Thousands pardoned for simple possession of MJ.

Awesome!

Now it's time (long overdo) to end federal prohibition and criminalization.
I would be happy just to get it to Schedule 2.

Isn’t it nice to have a president who actually attempts to govern rather than prove to his dead parents that he deserves their love? This is good and will help a lot of people.

OPEC+’s decision this week to slash oil production – and now the looming threat of higher gas prices – has pushed Republican rhetoric into familiar territory: President Joe Biden’s green policies are making Americans pay more at the pump.

Energy experts say recent attempts to open up new parts of the US to oil drilling have failed mainly because of the lack of interest from oil companies themselves, rather than Biden’s “green” policies.

New exploration for oil and gas has fallen sharply worldwide this year. Still bruised by an oil-price crash prolonged by the Covid pandemic, fossil fuel companies are now focusing on areas they know will make money, and far less on exploring for new locations to drill.

“I would say it’s 60% financial markets are telling them ‘no,’” said Robert McNally, president of energy consulting firm Rapidan Energy Group and an energy adviser to former President George W. Bush. “It’s 30% they’re still fearful of another bust, and then 10%, ‘the politicians, they’re not going to make it easy for me.’”

There is perhaps no better evidence of this shift than in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, which for decades had been a Republican focus for new oil drilling. Congressional Republicans successfully reopened ANWR to oil drilling in a 2017 bill, but when the lease sale happened in the final days of the Trump administration, only three companies offered bids – one of which was Alaska’s state-owned energy corporation. The other companies that bid ended up canceling their leases this year.

The ANWR sale “was a total bust,” said Erik Grafe, an attorney for environmental law firm Earthjustice. “There were no oil majors who bid on leases.”

In May, the Biden administration canceled an offshore drilling lease sale in Alaska’s Cook Inlet, owing to “lack of industry interest.” The Inflation Reduction Act will force the Interior Department to offer it again by the end of the year, but there aren’t expected to be many – if any – bids on it.

Oil and gas companies around the world are driving this trend as they approach new oil and gas exploration tepidly.

There are several reasons oil and gas companies are pulling back on new exploration but chief among them is the financial landscape.

Fossil fuel companies and markets are still reeling from the economic downturn during the pandemic and the associated oil price crash, according to Rachel Ziemba, an energy expert and adjunct senior fellow at the Center for a New American Security.

Now they are trying to limit their risk by sticking to projects that are assured to generate oil.

Experts say fossil fuel companies are sticking to drilling in regions that are sure bets for oil and gas, like the Permian Basin shown here in Texas.

“There is a lot of recognition by financial institutions that it’s a bad bet to be trying to get oil out of the Arctic in particular,” Grafe said. Part of that is social and political pressure, he said. The other part is that permafrost is melting, making the terrain more unstable and more difficult to drill on.

McNally doesn’t believe the world is ready to give up fossil fuels
he thinks the global oil market is at the very beginning of another multi-year boom cycle, which he predicts will bring about new leasing in Canada and the United States, as well as new exploration in South America and West Africa.

“We’re going to realize we need more investments in hydrocarbons,” McNally said. “Anyone who’s got opportunities, capital and political will, I think all of that is going to come back into vogue.”

Oil companies are pretty much huge international companies. You cannot expect them to act in the best interests of any particular company they operate in. There is very little that any president can do to impact these companies and their decision making process. Cutting back on new oil leases is irrelevant in that the existing oil leases have enough untapped oil to last about 75 years (i.e. new oil leases would only impact oil prices in about 70 years or so).

all of these US oil companies sells their oil on the world market so what does energy independence mean when oil is on the world market? Unless we have the government take over these oil companies and charge $30 a barrel here in the US.

The energy companies have 9,000+ leases, they choose to not use them because they can make more money with the prices we see now.

The BLM issued more drilling permits for federal lands in 2021 than in any of the previous four years.

anyone can look at national petroleum production at the EIA website. We are close to the all-time high after falling off a cliff during Covid. The high price of oil is a product of global shortage in supply, not lack of U.S. production.

Largest oil and gas producers made close to $100billion in first quarter of 2022.

Oil companies are choosing to strangle supply in order to increase profits. They dont want gas to be 2 dollars per gallon ever again. Why would they?

Since oil is traded on a world market, it doesn't matter where the oil comes from, it is a price set by the market. We are always and have been dependent on world prices.

Oil companies are pretty much huge international companies. You cannot expect them to act in the best interests of any particular company they operate in. There is very little that any president can do to impact these companies and their decision making process. Cutting back on new oil leases is irrelevant in that the existing oil leases have enough untapped oil to last about 75 years (i.e. new oil leases would only impact oil prices in about 70 years or so).

all of these US oil companies sells their oil on the world market so what does energy independence mean when oil is on the world market? Unless we have the government take over these oil companies and charge $30 a barrel here in the US.

The energy companies have 9,000+ leases, they choose to not use them because they can make more money with the prices we see now.

The BLM issued more drilling permits for federal lands in 2021 than in any of the previous four years.

anyone can look at national petroleum production at the EIA website. We are close to the all-time high after falling off a cliff during Covid. The high price of oil is a product of global shortage in supply, not lack of U.S. production.

Largest oil and gas producers made close to $100billion in first quarter of 2022.

Oil companies are choosing to strangle supply in order to increase profits. They dont want gas to be 2 dollars per gallon ever again. Why would they?

Since oil is traded on a world market, it doesn't matter where the oil comes from, it is a price set by the market. We are always and have been dependent on world prices.
Oil is a largely demand inelastic good, meaning raising or dropping the price typically does not greatly impact demand. If they drop the price $0.50 per gallon on gas, let's say, then do you get more gas for your commuter car, or do you generally get the same? How about if the price goes up? For some, like noble @fishonjazz here, they can get alternative means, but for the vast majority, they just eat it, because they have no other way to get to work. This is true of just about any good produced through oil, many of which we just cannot do without as there are few viable alternatives, so deeply is oil entrenched in daily life. Looking around me, I see nearly everything involves plastics and so petroleum in some form. So it is only in big oil's favor to see oil prices go sky-high, even if demand is affected a little bit, because few people have any alternative but to buy the gas at the higher price, let alone everything else we get from petroleum in our daily lives. We are not just a petroleum for fuel society, but petroleum for everything society.

Kind of shocking that as many as 72% of the population does not realize that plastic comes from petroleum.

An April 2007 nationwide online survey revealed that 72 percent of the American public does not know that conventional plastic is made
from petroleum products, primarily oil. I assumed this was common knowledge. Apparently, it falls into the useless trivia category in most people’s brains. This reminds me of a video I was watching last week, the best of Jaywalking with Jay Leno on his final show. I didn’t see this one live, but it his jaywalking bit will be missed. If anything it should make you feel a lot smarter.

According to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), this is a list of petroleum products and their share of total US petroleum consumption in 2013.

• Gasoline 46%
  • Heating Oil / Diesel Fuel 20%
  • Jet Fuel ( kerosene) 8%
  • Propane / Propylene 7%
  • NGL / LRG 6%
  • Still Gas 4%
  • Petrochemical Feedstocks 2%
  • Petroleum Coke 2%
  • Residual / Heavy Fuel Oil 2%
  • Asphalt / Road Oil 2%
  • Lubricants 1%
  • Miscellaneous Products / Special Naphthas 0.4%
  • Other Liquids 1%
  • Aviation Gasoline 0.1%
  • Waxes 0.04%
  • Kerosene 0.02%

There is quite a large list of products made from petroleum. This list is constantly growing as new inventions are created. Here are some of the items which are made from petroleum.

SolventsDiesel fuelMotor OilBearing Grease
InkFloor WaxBallpoint PensFootball Cleats
UpholsterySweaters (that explains the itchy sweater I have at home)BoatsInsecticides
Bicycle TiresSports Car BodiesNail PolishFishing lures
DressesTiresGolf BagsPerfumes
CassettesDishwasher partsTool BoxesShoe Polish
Motorcycle HelmetCaulkingPetroleum JellyTransparent Tape
CD Player (do people still have these?)Faucet WashersAntisepticsClothesline
CurtainsFood PreservativesBasketballsSoap (that explains why soap doesn’t clean oil off your hands)
Vitamin CapsulesAntihistaminesPursesShoes
DashboardsCortisoneDeodorantFootballs
PuttyDyesPanty HoseRefrigerant
PercolatorsLife JacketsRubbing AlcoholLinings
SkisTV CabinetsShag RugsElectrician’s Tape
Tool RacksCar Battery CasesEpoxyPaint
MopsSlacksInsect RepellentOil Filters
UmbrellasYarnFertilizersHair Coloring
RoofingToilet SeatsFishing RodsLipstick
Denture AdhesiveLinoleumIce Cube TraysSynthetic Rubber
SpeakersPlastic WoodElectric BlanketsGlycerin
Tennis RacketsRubber CementFishing BootsDice
Nylon RopeCandlesTrash BagsHouse Paint

Oil is a largely demand inelastic good, meaning raising or dropping the price typically does not greatly impact demand. If they drop the price $0.50 per gallon on gas, let's say, then do you get more gas for your commuter car, or do you generally get the same? How about if the price goes up? For some, like noble @fishonjazz here, they can get alternative means, but for the vast majority, they just eat it, because they have no other way to get to work. This is true of just about any good produced through oil, many of which we just cannot do without as there are few viable alternatives, so deeply is oil entrenched in daily life. Looking around me, I see nearly everything involves plastics and so petroleum in some form. So it is only in big oil's favor to see oil prices go sky-high, even if demand is affected a little bit, because few people have any alternative but to buy the gas at the higher price, let alone everything else we get from petroleum in our daily lives. We are not just a petroleum for fuel society, but petroleum for everything society.

Kind of shocking that as many as 72% of the population does not realize that plastic comes from petroleum.

I didnt know that. Good info

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

There is very little that any president can do to impact these companies and their decision making process. Cutting back on new oil leases is irrelevant in that the existing oil leases have enough untapped oil to last about 75 years (i.e. new oil leases would only impact oil prices in about 70 years or so).

Oil companies are choosing to strangle supply in order to increase profits.
Bb44U84IUAEfYZF

You say the national petroleum production per the EIA website shows the production is close to an all-time high and that proves the oil companies are choosing to strangle supply. You Dem voters really seem to know your stuff.