What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

Let me clarify that by saying they should have negotiated her release somehow but not for some awful person like this .. incredibly bad precedent

LOL at people who don’t know **** about this guy thinking this is a good/bad move. What’s the trade value of an arms dealer? Can we get 5 picks from Minny for one? How do we even know that Griner did what she was accused of? Russia isn’t exactly a good faith actor here, right? Remember when they invaded Ukraine cuz NATO NAZIS made them?

I think it’s pretty safe to say that no one on this board has near enough information about this to make judgment.

I’m just Glad we got Griner, an American, out of that ******** country. Sounded like she was placed in a gulag. Horrible

Last edited:
LOL at people who don’t know **** about this guy thinking this is a good/bad move. What’s the trade value of an arms dealer? Can we get 5 picks from Minny for one? How do we even know that Griner did what she was accused of? Russia isn’t exactly a good faith actor here, right? Remember when they invaded Ukraine cuz NATO NAZIS made them?

I think it’s pretty safe to say that no one on this board has near enough information about this to make judgment.

I’m just Glad we got Griner, an American, out of that ******** country. Sounded like she was placed in a gulag. Horrible
Exactly. I think that more might come out soon about what really happened, but it's also possible the State Dept will tell her to keep her mouth shut so as to not jeopardize other deals in play.

Exactly. I think that more might come out soon about what really happened, but it's also possible the State Dept will tell her to keep her mouth shut so as to not jeopardize other deals in play.

there's been zero talk that she didn't actually have the drugs, just that Russia was crazy zealous in applying the letter of the law for political expediency. And if this arms dealer has so little value as suggestion why on earth did Russia want him back ???

does a normal US citizen have their arse saved if they're in Russian prison for drug possesion ?
Normal US citizen probably doesn't get put in the russian prison for 9 years for 1 gram of marijuana in the first place. They wouldn't need to be saved. I think the reason she got 9 years in prison for a gram of marijuana is due to the fact that she is high profile.
Just my opinion though and a guess.

And if this arms dealer has so little value as suggestion why on earth did Russia want him back ???
Probably knew that people in the US would freak the **** out about it. They like it when we do that. And they probably dont really give a **** about griner being in their prison or not. She poses no threat to russia.

Correct. And given the Kremlin’s recent miscalculations, we should probably stop making them out to be the “stable geniuses” that the right wing here idolizes so much. I get that many on the right are amplifying the criticism here because Biden is president. Had Trump done this, the same critics today would be singing his praises. So once we peel back the partisanship, what do we even know about this deal at this time? How can anyone here make a judgement about this? I’m glad we got her out. But I don’t think anyone here knows enough about this to really give an accurate assessment of this.

Clearly, her arrest and sentence was based largely on who she was, where she came from, and the war the Russia started against Ukraine.

Last edited:
there's been zero talk that she didn't actually have the drugs, just that Russia was crazy zealous in applying the letter of the law for political expediency. And if this arms dealer has so little value as suggestion why on earth did Russia want him back ???
To cause division here. Duh.

It’s pretty easy to know how Americans on the right would react to her arrest (a black LGBT American) and to any trade made by the Biden admin. It’s no secret the right is rooting for Putin here and Putin sees Trump and MAGA as useful idiots. Just business as usual for the Kremlin that contributes nothing positive in the world. Just hate, suffering, division, and death.

Last edited:
Probably knew that people in the US would freak the **** out about it. They like it when we do that. And they probably dont really give a **** about griner being in their prison or not. She poses no threat to russia.

for sure they did it to yank the US chain and to use it for leverage to get someone like that guy out

for sure they did it to yank the US chain and to use it for leverage to get someone like that guy out
A country showing that it actually gives a **** about human life vs a country that doesn’t, makes me proud. Let’s say Griner really was a worthless prisoner and this Russian was Pablo Escobar. I think it’s pretty awesome that our country cares so much about their own that they gave up one of the world’s
Greatest criminals. I’d hope America fought for me if I were taken hostage into an authoritarian hellhole.

Yesterday, Biden was criticized on this board for not pressing Saudi Arabia for Kashogghi’s death. Today, Biden is criticized for getting an American hostage back. Partisanship is ruining some of your brains.

A country showing that it actually gives a **** about human life vs a country that doesn’t, makes me proud. Let’s say Griner really was a worthless prisoner and this Russian was Pablo Escobar. I think it’s pretty awesome that our country cares so much about their own that they gave up one of the world’s
Greatest criminals. I’d hope America fought for me if I were taken hostage into an authoritarian hellhole.

Yesterday, Biden was criticized on this board for not pressing Saudi Arabia for Kashogghi’s death. Today, Biden is criticized for getting an American hostage back. Partisanship is ruining some of your brains.
Word

Well, obviously, Biden should have gone in guns blazing as soon as Khashoggi was killed.

Oh, wait, Trump was president. Well, at least he was tough on MBS for the killing, right? Like he very toughly - (checks notes) - shook hands with him.

well it's hard to say someone who clearly broke another country's laws was taken "hostage" And the principle of exchanging a convicted arms dealer / terrorist for such a dumb citizen doesn't seem so much caring as just unprincipled and a crazy precedent to set.

now that Indonesia is about to make adultery officially an offence punishable by long prison sentences it'll be interesting to see when the first ignorant entitled dumb US citizen gets caught shagging a non-spouse what happens

Correct. And given the Kremlin’s recent miscalculations, we should probably stop making them out to be the “stable geniuses” that the right wing here idolizes so much. I get that many on the right are amplifying the criticism here because Biden is president. Had Trump done this, the same critics today would be singing his praises. So once we peel back the partisanship, what do we even know about this deal at this time? How can anyone here make a judgement about this? I’m glad we got her out. But I don’t think anyone here knows enough about this to really give an accurate assessment of this.

Clearly, her arrest and sentence was based largely on who she was, where she came from, and the war the Russia started against Ukraine.
Russia is to the international community what the New York Knicks are to the NBA. Supposedly an elite market with massive free agent appeal but they can't trade their way out of a paper bag.

Russia was supposedly the second most powerful military power in the world. They are getting their *** kicked attempting to take candy from a baby. Noting the international community has given Ukraine is more responsible for Russia's failures than Russian incompetence and corruption.