What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

It becomes easier to explain when you point out that if it weren’t for the Electoral College, no vote in any of the 49 states outside of California would matter. If the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact goes into effect, California will appoint the US President in every election.

Check it for yourself. For decades now, the candidate that wins California always wins the popular vote. That goes for Democrats like Hillary or Republicans like Ronald Reagan. Because of the population, money, and media exposure that California can generate, the Eastern Seaboard, the Deep South, the Midwest, Texas, and every other part of the nation become irrelevant without the Electoral College. If you want to disenfranchise 87% of Americans, pass NPVIC to empower “one person: one vote”.
I just subscribe to the notion that we're a big country and whomever gets the most votes gets the win. Whether that's R, D, whatever, let the people vote and choose their candidate like big kids. A vote in California should count the same as a vote in North Dakota and so on.

It's pretty easy to argue that candidates really only focus on 5-10 states every election anyway because of the EC. How many people don't vote because they already know who's going to win their state? I think we all have friends/family who sit at home knowing a D is going to win in New York and a R is going to win in West Virginia.

Put it to you this way: you could gerrymander it and move every single D to California to increase it's EC number to the point of where winning the state would be =>270 EV (or any state for that matter - let's move them all to Alaska as land is cheap). That would be unfair and idiotic as you'd have one state > 49 states even if the population of those other states was balanced.

Last edited:
Lol. You act as if everyone in California votes the exact some way
You also act as if the voting in California would be the same if we went by the popular vote.
I act as if I know math. Talk hypotheticals all you want but history tells another tale.

I act as if I know math. Talk hypotheticals all you want but history tells another tale.
I know facts. People don't vote because of the electoral college and already knowing the outcome of their states electoral votes. Candidates only campaign in swing states.

Change the process to popular voting and your math changes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Check it for yourself. For decades now, the candidate that wins California always wins the popular vote.
I did. I was unaware that "decades" had passed since 2004. How many decades did you count in that time span?

Because of the population, money, and media exposure that California can generate,
Mostly, because of the population.

If you remove California from the 2020 results, Biden still takes the popular vote. That seems odd if California is the determining factor.

They already gerrymandered pretty heavily in 2011, and the last time we discussed this, you didn't offer any links that showed Republicans *gains* from gerrymandering.
This is not accurate at all. I remember posting two links. The first link was from Dave Wasserman, who believes that Republicans can retake the Gouse by gerrymandering alone. He then broke down how Florida can already be gerrymandered to provide +4 seats. The second link offered a less convincing approach, as it stated that much remained unresolved, as census data was still being collected they were unsure how Democrats might engage with gerrymandering.

arguing these fine points is a distractor. Which is why I find it odd that you’d engage in this. I guess the fundamental question is, “are you okay with gerrymandering?” I didn’t like it in 2011 and I don’t like it in 2021. I wish it were illegal. I believe politicians should not get to pick their voters.

Last edited:
babe has never been able to post of that length and stay on message.
Online trolls often have different personas. It’s all about getting attention. The common trait of the two, to engage in deep (right wing) conspiracy while feigning neutrality politically raises a red flag for me. I could see him moving to this different account since @babe has seemed to garner less and less attention over the last year.

If candidates had to compete for the popular vote, I think one could argue that they’d be forced to compete everywhere and be more moderate. Right now we’re seeing in real time how Republicans are completely ignoring the majority of the country and focusing merely on turning out their ever shrinking base and hoping that it’s good enough to win the electoral college.

Think about it. Donald Trump doesn’t happen in 2016 if the EC doesn’t exist. In 2020? The GOP would’ve had to have had a platform (they didn’t) and a moderate and popular candidate (they didn’t).

I did. I was unaware that "decades" had passed since 2004. How many decades did you count in that time span?
In the past 60 years it has only happened twice: 2004 and 1976.

If you remove California from the 2020 results, Biden still takes the popular vote. That seems odd if California is the determining factor.
I don't understand your logic there as the popular vote and EC were in agreement. If you want to look at the power of California in the popular vote, look at the years where the elected candidate wasn't the popular vote winner such as in 2016 and in 2000 where the vote totals of California were what caused the EC/Pop Vote split.

I think Al is @babe’s alt account.
Just make sure you spell my name right and keep talking about me.

I think Al lives in Chicago and has a professional, real job in life sciences or health care. Knows more than I do. But he is sorta liberal, just not to the extent that truth does not matter. Facts, not imagination.

Not me.

In the past 60 years it has only happened twice: 2004 and 1976.
That's an odd way to admit error.

I don't understand your logic there as the popular vote and EC were in agreement. If you want to look at the power of California in the popular vote, look at the years where the elected candidate wasn't the popular vote winner such as in 2016 and in 2000 where the vote totals of California were what caused the EC/Pop Vote split.
The difference in California may have been larger than the national difference, but that in no way means California was responsible for the popular vote difference, and unless you think California has over half the electorate, could not. this is just fear rhetoric, not substantive argumentation.

Ironically, I can see this gaining momentum once Texas, GA, and Arizona become reliably blue. So we’re talking about 2028ish probably. Once Democrats can rely on taking both coasts and the crown jewel of the south, I think Republicans will warm up to the idea of changing the electoral college system.

Sadly, im just unsure our system can make it that long. The anti democratic authoritarians want to trash our system right now, so they can take over in 2022 and retake the white house in 2024.

Look at how non competitive Republicans will become in the next cycle or two (I forgot to add Hawaii and adjust for Maine and Nebraska):
F50112E9-09CE-4003-8218-E370BF41DC16.png

Last edited:
Good job Biden comrades. Making everyone's life miserable, even your own because the last guy hurt your little *** feelings.

"Inflation has been virtually absent for a number of years and then pointed up very sharply. It hit us directly," CEO Mark Schneider told reporters on a conference call.

Republicans cant scare us about the deficit since they showed over 4 years to not actually care about deficits so now they’re trying to scare us about inflation. Except… facts matter

The data released today do not show that prices have risen rapidly since recovery legislation passed—instead they just show that prices plummeted during the near-total shutdown of large swaths of the economy a year ago in response to the COVID-19 shock.

And:

Increase in prices is a good thing. The reason why so many goods and services were so cheap last year was because of that certain pandemic thingie. Now, prices are returning to normal as economies return to normal. Sure, there will be shortages of certain manufactured goods, but that’s to be expected when recovering from a global pandemic.

Facts Matter

Democratic candidate Jana Lynne Sanchez, who ran in the special election and was locked out of the runoff by just a few hundred votes, put it more bluntly. "It was basically a f--- you to Trump," she said.

Democratic candidate Jana Lynne Sanchez, who ran in the special election and was locked out of the runoff by just a few hundred votes, put it more bluntly. "It was basically a f--- you to Trump," she said.
It appears that trump’s endorsements aren’t as powerful as they used to be. What a loser. He’s so weak and impotent, just like his followers.

Nvmd... The idiocy behind the guy you voted for is just too much. For the fear mongerers here, what's the point of mask if you're going to take it off and the very first thing you do is cough hard enough to snot all over ones face and chin? Then the complete idiot proceeds to touch every possible Corona infected ora . It literally defeats the entire purpose of mask. Then the F* moron eats it... I'm starting to understand why grown *** children adore him. They're just like him. Booger eaters and all. Children...

This is the moron bullying others and dividing because they don't vaccinate. This is the Democratic part.

Last edited: