What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

I prefer permanent daylight savings time. But I've never experienced that in the middle of winter so I don't know how weird it will be for it to be dark until about 8:50am.

Maybe the solution is for schools and other institutions to have seasonal changes in their hours/schedules. Middle of winter, don't start school until 10AM.
The time change is really the only opportunity I have to experience time travel. My beard is longer, my kids seem so much older, and then months later the reverse happens. I highly recommend staying up and experiencing time travel for yourself. People sleeping through it don't know what they are missing.

The funny thing is was already done in the 70's and it was universally hated and it was reverted just a few months later. Maybe advances in night lights will be the difference maker.

And for the record, it is Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight Savings Time.

That's an idea and there are many others.
More street lights. More school speed limit lights and crosswalks. Put lights on kids backpacks. More education for drivers and children about safety in these scenarios. Parents walk with their kids to school when possible. (Seems to me that kids are mostly driven to school anymore)
I'm sure there are a bunch of other measures that could be taken even extreme things like making crosswalks similar to railroad crossings with the barriers that come down.
As you stated earlier, Americans are willing to accept some deaths in trade for not being inconvenienced. Now you'll never have to change your clocks again!

I wonder if we'll see a similar backlash as we did in the 70s. People always want to fight over something.

I don't care what they choose, just let me stop needing to change ten clocks in my house.
Ya I like how it is right now but if the majority want it to stay on how it was before then I'm cool with that too. Let's just pick one time as a country and stick with it

The time change is really the only opportunity I have to experience time travel. My beard is longer, my kids seem so much older, and then months later the reverse happens. I highly recommend staying up and experiencing time travel for yourself. People sleeping through it don't know what they are missing.

The funny thing is was already done in the 70's and it was universally hated and it was reverted just a few months later. Maybe advances in night lights will be the difference maker.

I could care less if it's daylight saving time, alot of people say it that way, there all wrong two I guess if what your saying is wright. I'll halve to check it out four myself, I could of said it best supposibly.

Didnt know where to put this but i think its awesome.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
This is my favorite thing in the whole world right now. California passed the same measure in 2018, but for standard time I believe, and then it stalled out due to partisan BS and never got ratified. Hope this gets through everyone with no issues. DST is a ridiculous concept in the first place that never had any of the benefits claimed and is actually more harmful than helpful. It is time for this idea to die. The only good thing that came out of it, tangentially, is time zones, which makes more sense than people operating on the same arbitrary time but something like 6 am or whatever meaning something different to everyone around the globe.

Hmmm....pretty sure it is Daylights Saving Times.

A 2020 study published in the peer-reviewed journal Current Biology determined the risk of fatal traffic accidents actually increased by 6% in the U.S. during the spring transition to daylight saving time. And evidence from years of scientific research has also suggested many health consequences of sleep loss have been associated with the switch to daylight saving time.

For many politics has become religion. IMO anyone who makes blanket statements about their side and the other side are treating the issues more like dogma than political platforms. Trumps religious followers have crossed the lines to become zealots, so that is why it is so much more dangerous. But the religious adherents on both sides are what is driving the rift between the parties and stalling out our government. The belief that my side can do no wrong (i.e. is the "true" political religious) and your side is always wrong (i.e. the "false" political religion) is a cancer that is growing and eating away at our political and social structure and hamstringing our government in ways that will have decades of implications. And that cancer is fed by the endless stream of confirmation bias everyone gets on social media. It is really frightening.
I mostly agree with this. But I think it’s important to remember that not every side has devolved into making politics a religion. Nor are both sides of the political spectrum equal. You just don’t see Democratic members of Congress saying **** like this

Nor will you find liberal/Democratic media folks saying **** like this:

Our society is being polarized by these types of divisive figures and the Facebook algorithms that amplify their rhetoric.

Fanaticism isn't what makes it a religion. Blind belief in the dogma and continual blanket assertions of which is "true" and "false" and complete dismissal of anything related to the "other side" with no critical thought is what makes it a religion. Fanaticism is what makes it dangerous. There are plenty of religious-democrats. But there are far more fanatic religious-republicans.

I loathe these Supreme Court hearings when nominated judges basically have to defend themselves tirelessly against individuals who have zero to very little understanding of constitutional law. It's akin to you having to explain while you're qualified for your job as a business systems analyst to a group of soccer moms.

That and the fact that we already know that the D's will vote for and most R's will vote against the nomination yet somehow tell us publicly that politics has nothing to do with it, just their 'qualifications and decision-making'.

Just stupid, mindless political theater from our Washington puppets.

Fanaticism isn't what makes it a religion. Blind belief in the dogma and continual blanket assertions of which is "true" and "false" and complete dismissal of anything related to the "other side" with no critical thought is what makes it a religion. Fanaticism is what makes it dangerous. There are plenty of religious-democrats. But there are far more fanatic religious-republicans.
Anytime I hear someone go on a religious rant I just wanna recite the lyrics from “Judith” by A Perfect Circle.

Speaking of religion, Supreme Court, and politics…

I think we could see a return of 1950s america in our lifetimes in the sense that a lot more state legislatures are going to pass really restrictive legislation knowing they have the courts to back them up. This is going to lead to a lot of pain for minorities who are the wrong religion, sexual orientation, or skin color.

Speaking of religion, Supreme Court, and politics…

I think we could see a return of 1950s america in our lifetimes in the sense that a lot more state legislatures are going to pass really restrictive legislation knowing they have the courts to back them up. This is going to lead to a lot of pain for minorities who are the wrong religion, sexual orientation, or skin color.

I wouldn’t be surprised after the SC guts Roe v Wade this summer to see red states pass legislation designed to re-litigate Obergefell v Hodges (gay marriage), Loving v Virginia (interracial marriage), Griswold v Connecticut (contraception), and eventually Brown v Board (school de-segregation). And I am not even joking.

Leaving these key issues to be determined by state legislatures would definitely be taking us back to the 1950s… which is what MAGA apparently wants.

I wouldn’t be surprised after the SC guts Roe v Wade this summer to see red states pass legislation designed to re-litigate Obergefell v Hodges (gay marriage), Loving v Virginia (interracial marriage), Griswold v Connecticut (contraception), and eventually Brown v Board (school de-segregation). And I am not even joking.

Leaving these key issues to be determined by state legislatures would definitely be taking us back to the 1950s… which is what MAGA apparently wants.

If we are going back to the 50’s then i hope they at least start taxing the wealthy like we did in the 50’s.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app