What's new

The Defense Thread

Through three games, the Jazz have the 10th best offense and the worst defense in the league by a mile. Last year the Jazz were 10th in offense and 23rd in defense. Given that 90% of the discussion will still be about our offense and how that is the problem, this thread is dedicated to discussing how the Jazz will eventually get to the point where they do not suck at defense.

So what's the problem here? Talent? Scheme? Schedule?
100% help defense

it's just three games, so honestly we need to take it with a grain of salt, but, Kessler's poor defense in relation to what we saw last year is baffling. as far as the collins argument, perhaps there is something to it, but there have been too many times where collins hasn't even been close to the play or even in the game where Kessler has been in great position for help defense or just defending his own man and he isn't impacting an eventual bucket. very weird. hopefully he turns it around.

I was excited to watch Kessler and he's been completely invisible. I don't even know what 'good Kessler' from last year even looks like because I've seen basically nothing from the dude this year. What are his skills and talents when he is playing well?

I was excited to watch Kessler and he's been completely invisible. I don't even know what 'good Kessler' from last year even looks like because I've seen basically nothing from the dude this year. What are his skills and talents when he is playing well?
I don't know what the idea behind the defensive scheme is at all. Its not surprising its not working and that Walker isn't having impact on some of that. I am concerned that guys like Javale and Eubanks are seeming to get shots off without feeling Walker much. If we were playing something resembling normal defense I might be more concerned with Walker's lack of blocks/rim protection.

On offense this is kind of the cost of John Collins. He has been super solid but both John and Walker will have success as roll men. We also don't have guards that can set these guys up much it seems. Key has had the best passes out of the PnR... which is really telling.

Nuggs gonna put up 175 points tonight and Hardy will never have us in a zone again.

I don't know what the idea behind the defensive scheme is at all. Its not surprising its not working and that Walker isn't having impact on some of that. I am concerned that guys like Javale and Eubanks are seeming to get shots off without feeling Walker much. If we were playing something resembling normal defense I might be more concerned with Walker's lack of blocks/rim protection.

On offense this is kind of the cost of John Collins. He has been super solid but both John and Walker will have success as roll men. We also don't have guards that can set these guys up much it seems. Key has had the best passes out of the PnR... which is really telling.

Nuggs gonna put up 175 points tonight and Hardy will never have us in a zone again.
Would you or others trade Kessler for Lively right now? Is that reactionary or is this legitimately worrisome? He doesn't even look like an NBA player.

We see players go from something to nothing so often in the league, and his archetype is just ripe for it. But it's also three games, I just wish I saw anything at all from him so far.

Would you or others trade Kessler for Lively right now? Is that reactionary or is this legitimately worrisome? He doesn't even look like an NBA player.

We see players go from something to nothing so often in the league, and his archetype is just ripe for it. But it's also three games, I just wish I saw anything at all from him so far.

Here's the thing about Kessler. He had a terrific season as a rookie and is still very young....but going into the draft he wasn't seen as some high upside player and he was also older for a rookie. He's already exceeded expectations by becoming a starter, but I think it's fair to question how far he has to develop. It's too early to say whether or not he's better than another guy who has barely played, but questions about his upside have always been a thing with him. I think some saw him as a franchise cornerstone in the same way Rudy, but he might be more like a starting C who we pay just above the mid level and he starts/plays 25 minutes before seeing a role decrease in the playoffs.

Super reactionary. Kessler wasn't just good for a rookie last year, he was one of the top 2-3 rim protector in the entire NBA. It's only been 3 games.

I think Kessler is in a bad mindset more than anything. Could be higher expecations, failed team USA stint eating his confidence or the fact that more is being pushed to his plate.

He did play rather simple drop big game last year and didn't even get involved much offensively outside of rebounds and putbacks. Maybe he is now asked to do more and that is simply distracting him from the things he excelled in last year.

Reactionary… but I get it. With Lively I do think you need to factor in he has Luka. Walker has Clarkson? THT?

A handful of the guys that played with team USA are off to slow starts. Give it 25-30 games before we decide to make trade proposals involving Walker.

Last year, nba.com had Lauri as #5 in terms of lowest fg% allowed while defending within 6ft of the basket. It doesn't appear that the stats are up to date for this season yet (I didn't see any Jazz players listed at all for this season on the defense dashboard) but anecdotally it seems like he's gotten scored on a lot so far this year.

Anyone interested in Davion Mitchell? Seems realistic to expect SAC could be in the market for a win-now piece.

Davion is a pit bull.

Anyone interested in Davion Mitchell? Seems realistic to expect SAC could be in the market for a win-now piece.

Davion is a pit bull.

He plays defense but that’s about it we don’t need another undersized guard who can’t score

He’s like young mini Kris Dunn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactionary… but I get it. With Lively I do think you need to factor in he has Luka. Walker has Clarkson? THT?

A handful of the guys that played with team USA are off to slow starts. Give it 25-30 games before we decide to make trade proposals involving Walker.

I don’t think it’s time to trade Kessler, but we gotta realize Kessler isn’t Gobert (even Gobert isn’t Gobert anymore). We can’t just stroll out 4 bad defenders and perform at a top 5 level around a dominant big. That doesn’t mean trade Kessler, it means we need to trade/acquire more defense around Kessler.

But honestly, I think right now it’s more that we don’t have a plan. I can’t even tell what we’re trying to do on defense, it goes beyond talent. As awesome as Hardy has been, he still needs to prove that he can put together an effective defensive game plan.

He’s young.

I’ll buy all your Davion stock right now.

If I had any, I would sell no problem. He does the most visible thing on defense well, but he’s a detriment in other ways defensively.

He’s only one year younger than Collins btw. Older than one might think.

If I had any, I would sell no problem. He does the most visible thing on defense well, but he’s a detriment in other ways defensively.

He’s only one year younger than Collins btw. Older than one might think.
young = prime productive years lay ahead

Glad to hear the acquisition cost of this stock is low. I'll take it.

I don’t think it’s time to trade Kessler, but we gotta realize Kessler isn’t Gobert (even Gobert isn’t Gobert anymore). We can’t just stroll out 4 bad defenders and perform at a top 5 level around a dominant big. That doesn’t mean trade Kessler, it means we need to trade/acquire more defense around Kessler.

But honestly, I think right now it’s more that we don’t have a plan. I can’t even tell what we’re trying to do on defense, it goes beyond talent. As awesome as Hardy has been, he still needs to prove that he can put together an effective defensive game plan.
Yeah I don’t think he’s out there with 4 bad defenders though… it’s a mix of good, average, and dumpster fire. I don’t expect him or Lively to be Rudy but I think Kessler is/can be a worthy building block. He isn’t as good as Rudy on defense but he has some other strengths. If he is a better version of Jakob Poeltl that’s okay too.

Hardly anyone is truly untradeable but I wouldn’t move Walker for Lively… which was the question.