What's new

The Dunk Archie Said Was Just OK is Now a Dunk of the Year Candidate

This isn't even Mitchell's best dunk this year. Mitchell's dunk against the Heat, Sactown and the Cavs were better imo. His dunk against the Cavs was unbelievable. His head was rim high.

This isn't even Mitchell's best dunk this year. Mitchell's dunk against the Heat, Sactown and the Cavs were better imo. His dunk against the Cavs was unbelievable. His head was rim high.

The dunk on the Lakers was superior because it was off of a rebound. Much less time to set up than a lot from the arc. It was all reaction, and watching the 6'1" DM sky over flat footed Lonzo to get it, who at the time was still a media darling, was priceless. It said as much about DM as it did Ball.

I mean, Vince Carter jumped over a 7 footer during a game.

True but he pushed off of his head. Still amazing.

Giannis didn't push off at all. The big difference is in Giannis' dunk Hardaway wasn't even there to him.

That Giannis dunk was full nutter. The high-jump strides begin at the three-point line and he launches over 6'5" Hardaway Jr. like he's not even there. Best dunk ever during a game?

G had a full head of steam and of course he's going to jump higher than DM, but...DM brought his dunk with his hand cocked from much further behind his head. G's dunk lacked that. Plus DMs dunk was a out back. DM had no time to set it up, it was pure reaction. The vote should go either way.

Agreed. No name recognition for either player probably the reason why
Unfortunately this. They aren't looking for the best of each of these plays really, they are marketing players. So they pick good plays from the most marketable players.

For the record I thought DM's dunk was far superior to GA's dunk. GA is huge and he takes his alley-opp in stride with no opposition, easy peasy. He probably does a dunk like that 2-3 times per game. DMs dunk was in the middle of the other teams biggest dudes, on a put-back rebound (very tough to time for dudes that practically stand above the rim already, let alone a small guard), ONE-HANDED. No comparison. Obejctively DMs is the best dunk in the group. Fans are voting so GA will win it.

As far as the jumping over the dude thing, it was nothing for him. He is so big that anyone could have just walked under him while he dunked it. It made it look good on a poster, but it did not raise the degree of difficulty for him one bit. Impressive dunk sure but I am sure you could find a dozen more from this season way better than that from GA. They just picked this one because the headline of "jumped over player X" is a good media grab. Otherwise the dunk was pretty standard for a fast break from an athletic big.

Last edited:
That said, looking at the other dunks, sure they are fun to watch, but they are pretty pedestrian really. The dunks from Derozan, James and Nance were just athletic dudes with a head of steam. You see dunks like that in most every game at some point, and each of them has probably done nearly that same dunk a dozen times or more this season. None of them are the dunks anyone in their fan base is saying "hey you remember the dunk where Bron ran at the basket and threw it down with one hand over so-and-so?" They would go, "sure, which game? last game right?". But you say that to a Jazz fan and they instantly know which dunk you are talking about from Donovan.

Unfortunately this. They aren't looking for the best of each of these plays really, they are marketing players. So they pick good plays from the most marketable players.

For the record I thought DM's dunk was far superior to GA's dunk. GA is huge and he takes his alley-opp in stride with no opposition, easy peasy. He probably does a dunk like that 2-3 times per game. DMs dunk was in the middle of the other teams biggest dudes, on a put-back rebound (very tough to time for dudes that practically stand above the rim already, let alone a small guard), ONE-HANDED. No comparison. Obejctively DMs is the best dunk in the group. Fans are voting so GA will win it.
I agree that DM's was more impressive. He seemed to come out of nowhere. Not only that, I believe that this was his break-out moment.

As far as the jumping over the dude thing, it was nothing for him. He is so big that anyone could have just walked under him while he dunked it. It made it look good on a poster, but it did not raise the degree of difficulty for him one bit. Impressive dunk sure but I am sure you could find a dozen more from this season way better than that from GA. They just picked this one because the headline of "jumped over player X" is a good media grab. Otherwise the dunk was pretty standard for a fast break from an athletic big.
Jumping over a NBA player and dunking the ball is nothing? Good lord.

The dunk on the Lakers was superior because it was off of a rebound. Much less time to set up than a lot from the arc. It was all reaction, and watching the 6'1" DM sky over flat footed Lonzo to get it, who at the time was still a media darling, was priceless. It said as much about DM as it did Ball.

Was a really awesome dunk. I prefer grefreaks’ dunk but it’s a close second.

Also I see this a lot but when dm does something incredible for a small guy he’s 6’1” , but if someone says he’s undersized he magically becomes 6’3” or even seen 6’4” haha :) Wonder what his true height is

That said, looking at the other dunks, sure they are fun to watch, but they are pretty pedestrian really. The dunks from Derozan, James and Nance were just athletic dudes with a head of steam. You see dunks like that in most every game at some point, and each of them has probably done nearly that same dunk a dozen times or more this season. None of them are the dunks anyone in their fan base is saying "hey you remember the dunk where Bron ran at the basket and threw it down with one hand over so-and-so?" They would go, "sure, which game? last game right?". But you say that to a Jazz fan and they instantly know which dunk you are talking about from Donovan.
Dude. You realize 90% of what makes in game dunks cool are the fact that they are on people, right? Dunking is all about disrespecting your opponent and embarrassing them. Jumping over someone and having your balls on the top of their head while throwing a dunk down is the pinnacle of in game dunking. Man, I dont even care if he did a layup after jumping over someone, it'd still be dunk of the year, but that should be a reason why a dunk isnt recognized. It was a nasty dunk, Lebron went over a 7'er and yammed on him.

Was Donovan's the most technically impressive? I guess because it's an alley-oop, but it's also the only dunk of the group with absolutely no resistance or contest. For me DeRozan's, Mitchell's, and Nance's are all on pretty similar levels.

And how the **** can you you say that their fanbases dont remember those dunks? For one thing, I'm pretty sure that DeRozan dunk was a game winner with 2 seconds left in the game when the Raptors were down 1. The only dunk that anyone might forget is Lebron James on Nurkic, but that's only because Lebron James has a list of bodies longer than most serial killers.

Also, it's sad that AD blocked Royce's dunk. That would have been 2nd place dunk of the year if he completed it.