What's new

The Dunk Archie Said Was Just OK is Now a Dunk of the Year Candidate

Dude. You realize 90% of what makes in game dunks cool are the fact that they are on people, right? Dunking is all about disrespecting your opponent and embarrassing them. Jumping over someone and having your balls on the top of their head while throwing a dunk down is the pinnacle of in game dunking. Man, I dont even care if he did a layup after jumping over someone, it'd still be dunk of the year, but that should be a reason why a dunk isnt recognized. It was a nasty dunk, Lebron went over a 7'er and yammed on him.

Was Donovan's the most technically impressive? I guess because it's an alley-oop, but it's also the only dunk of the group with absolutely no resistance or contest. For me DeRozan's, Mitchell's, and Nance's are all on pretty similar levels.

And how the **** can you you say that their fanbases dont remember those dunks? For one thing, I'm pretty sure that DeRozan dunk was a game winner with 2 seconds left in the game when the Raptors were down 1. The only dunk that anyone might forget is Lebron James on Nurkic, but that's only because Lebron James has a list of bodies longer than most serial killers.

Pretty subjective stuff. Trey Lyle's dunk on Tatum would be #2 if balls on the defenders head was a thing. If disrespecting the opponent, DM will never stand a chance.

DMs dunk was supreme because it came out of nowhere, and in the faces of a stunned Lakers nation.

Last edited:
Was a really awesome dunk. I prefer grefreaks’ dunk but it’s a close second.

Also I see this a lot but when dm does something incredible for a small guy he’s 6’1” , but if someone says he’s undersized he magically becomes 6’3” or even seen 6’4” haha :) Wonder what his true height is

Yep. Same height as John Stockton. ;)

Dude. You realize 90% of what makes in game dunks cool are the fact that they are on people, right? Dunking is all about disrespecting your opponent and embarrassing them. Jumping over someone and having your balls on the top of their head while throwing a dunk down is the pinnacle of in game dunking.
This is probably going to come as a shocker, but did you know that different people like different things?

@Archie Moses I read the thread. You eventually made a comment about the dunk being mediocre in some sort of a Burks compairison. Your meaning got a little convoluted, but you did say it so you ought to own this one. Much worse, you were slobbering all over Lonzo Ball and his dad in the same thread. I'll bet you wish that convo could be erased from existence.

@Archie Moses
I read the thread. You eventually made a comment about the dunk being mediocre in some sort of a Burks compairison. Your meaning got a little convoluted, but you did say it so you ought to own this one. Much worse, you were slobbering all over Lonzo Ball and his dad in the same thread. I'll bet you wish that convo could be erased from existence.
Ok. I pretend it never happened.

Jumping over a NBA player and dunking the ball is nothing? Good lord.
Man sometimes the depth of your idiocy shocks me. Take the other guy out of the picture and does the dunk change at all? No. It was just happenstance the guy ran past him as he jumped. Yes, GA can jump. We all knew this. Take the other player out of the mix and this is just another dunk from GA. Put Ball in front of DM on his dunk and you have nearly the same situation. So one step one way or another by a player that had no impact on the dunk makes it otherwordly? I want what you been smoking.

Sounds kinky. Please, tell me more.
Well, I will tell you that I did not see the Greek Freak plan or react to that dunk in anything resembling the way that Cy is describing it (thank God). It was fantastic, but I liked Spida's better both because it came out of nowhere and because it marked a major turning point in his career. That one was super special!

Dude. You realize 90% of what makes in game dunks cool are the fact that they are on people, right? Dunking is all about disrespecting your opponent and embarrassing them. Jumping over someone and having your balls on the top of their head while throwing a dunk down is the pinnacle of in game dunking. Man, I dont even care if he did a layup after jumping over someone, it'd still be dunk of the year, but that should be a reason why a dunk isnt recognized. It was a nasty dunk, Lebron went over a 7'er and yammed on him.

Was Donovan's the most technically impressive? I guess because it's an alley-oop, but it's also the only dunk of the group with absolutely no resistance or contest. For me DeRozan's, Mitchell's, and Nance's are all on pretty similar levels.

And how the **** can you you say that their fanbases dont remember those dunks? For one thing, I'm pretty sure that DeRozan dunk was a game winner with 2 seconds left in the game when the Raptors were down 1. The only dunk that anyone might forget is Lebron James on Nurkic, but that's only because Lebron James has a list of bodies longer than most serial killers.
You seem to be fixated on balls. So since DM didn't have his balls on anyone his dunk was nothing right? I disagree with that. Having someone get posterized is just icing on the cake. If that is really 90% of your enjoyment of dunks you must think 99% of dunks are boring as hell. For me the ultimate dunks are when a player gives you something you just did not expect, with either power or athleticism or feats of aerial acrobatics. Sure get someone else in the picture can raise the cool factor a few points, but the fact that DM didn't do it right in the face of Ball doesn't really mean ****.

See I added an extra Ball for you at the end. Consider my balls on your face, you been posterized son.

Gonna have to agree with everything Cy said.

I still voted for Donovan, but Giannis easily wins it. Otherwise I think Donavan would.

I dont care about how big Giannis is that was impressive, and about as filthy as any dunk can get in a game.

Jumping over a NBA player and dunking the ball is nothing? Good lord.
Here is a dunk really jumping over the other player. GAs dunk was just a fluke. LBJ played this one right over the guy. He meant it. That is a statement, not an accident.

Think about it. It is harder than hell to keep your cool and concentration through that dunk. You could get seriously hurt with a player up underneath you like that. Especially grabbing a one handed alley oop full speed. There was no planning like a dunk contest.

You seem to be fixated on balls. So since DM didn't have his balls on anyone his dunk was nothing right? I disagree with that. Having someone get posterized is just icing on the cake. If that is really 90% of your enjoyment of dunks you must think 99% of dunks are boring as hell. For me the ultimate dunks are when a player gives you something you just did not expect, with either power or athleticism or feats of aerial acrobatics. Sure get someone else in the picture can raise the cool factor a few points, but the fact that DM didn't do it right in the face of Ball doesn't really mean ****.

See I added an extra Ball for you at the end. Consider my balls on your face, you been posterized son.
I think his point is, it's much harder and cooler to dunk on someone.

His dunk wasn't the dunk of the year. Get over it

I was not ever, not over it. It's nothing. Like DM winning the dunk contest or ROY other than some recognition for him and the team.

What's to get over is for you to get over your bias against DM. It began in October with you and evidently is still there. I'm fairly new here and reading into your past a bit makes it seems that your are mostly a reasonable, likeable and respected fan of the Jazz. Your DM reactions puzzling though. Get over it!