What's new

The Jazz, David Lee, and Golden State

I wouldn't say that Ingles is better than Barnes, but green, I think you're overrating Barnes. He does all right playing alongside the Splash Brothers, but would he even play as well here?

I'm not overrating Barnes. I'm saying is better than a 12 pick. He is a solid player for a great team. If we traded for him, he would immediately be better than everyone other than Favors, Gobert and Hayward.

We want to make the playoffs next year. We are a 8-10 team right now. With Lee and Barnes we are a playoff team.

For a 12 pick and Burke? Easy decision. IF Gs offers, you take it. There is no downside. Say they both bomb? Next summer you let them walk and have cap room. Say Barnes blows up aka Carroll? Then you have a great role player on your team.

Easy decision. Make the trade.

Let me explain my thoughts as to why I said that. Clearly Barnes can become a better player than Ingles. I HIGHLY doubt that he ever becomes a better player than Hayward, Burks, or Hood. So if we took him he would be buried in the wing rotation. Ingles is a solid glue guy who is great for our team both on and off the court and is very affordable.
Besides why would Barnes want to go from being a starter to being buried in our group of wings? Long term this is a weak trade. If we are going to take chances on potential, I'd much rather invest in a PG than waste it on a wing. We have already invested in Hayward, Burks, and Hood. Why would we do it for Barnes and a years rental of David Lee?

Barnes is better than Hood. They are the same age. Barnes has a higher ceiling than Hood.

Barnes would start for us and push Hayward to the two.

Now this GS team is best all time? Thanks hack

Lol. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I said one of the best. GS has the #1 offense and the #2 defense in the NBA. Only the 72 win Bulls have done that. They have the best shooting backcourt ever. Their defense is unreal.

Yes, they are one of the best of all time.

There was a rumor that David Lee would be coming to Utah. Many of us wondered why would Utah take on his contract. I wondered out loud if Barnes would be a part of that deal.

Well, I read this tonight from Zach Lowe:

"But their cap sheet is structured so that every time someone is due a raise, another big deal comes off the books. The Dubs can max out Green this summer, re-sign Stephen Curry to a $30 million mega-max deal in two years, and — if they play their cards right — still have enough money to nab a big free agent at some point during that process. It may cost them Harrison Barnes, but that’s a trade-off the Warriors will make if they have to."

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/winners-and-losers-in-the-nba-playoffs/

Boom. There you go. If GS wants to clear cap room, this is a way to do sign Green, and clear room right now:

Utah trades Burke and their pick to GS for David Lee and Harrison Barnes. Why does GS do this? Two reasons:

1 - They are going to lose Barnes this year or next year. They can't keep him. He will be too expensive, and Lowe illustrates this above.

2 - This move can get them down to 60 million, 7 million under the cap. They can then add some vets to help them win another title. Plus they add a draft pick. Plus Livingston has been terrible for them. Burke may be an upgrade for GS.

Why does Utah do this? They do take on Lee for a year, but they clear 15 million the summer of 2016. They get a year or two trial run on Barnes, who is a valuable player. Better than anyone they can get on the market. This also doesn't affect Exum's development. Utah would still need another vet PG, but would have added a big and a potential very, very good player.

After this trade, GS would have a lottery pick and a cap number of 60 million.

I'd do this if I were Utah. Look at this team:

Exum/vet PG/Cotton
Hayward/Burks
Barnes/Hood
Favors/Booker/Lee
Gobert/Favors

That team makes the playoffs. I really, really like that team.

I was plagerized. I proposed this exact trade 2 months ago

Barnes is better than Hood. They are the same age. Barnes has a higher ceiling than Hood.

Agree to disagree I guess but i'd say Hood>Barnes all day. Hood didn't have as much hype in college because he was playing next to Jabari Parker. Hood has been playing the underdog role, and kicking a** in doing so. Hood's ceiling is higher that Barnes, much higher.

I'm not overrating Barnes. I'm saying is better than a 12 pick. He is a solid player for a great team. If we traded for him, he would immediately be better than everyone other than Favors, Gobert and Hayward.

We want to make the playoffs next year. We are a 8-10 team right now. With Lee and Barnes we are a playoff team.

For a 12 pick and Burke? Easy decision. IF Gs offers, you take it. There is no downside. Say they both bomb? Next summer you let them walk and have cap room. Say Barnes blows up aka Carroll? Then you have a great role player on your team.

Saying Barnes would be better than everyone other than Favors, Gobert and Hayward is overrating him imo. Yes, he is a solid player for a great team, but that doesn't make Barnes anything better than a solid player. I think Hood has a better updside and I like Burks with his ability to score and get his own shot. Also, if Barnes blows up then the Jazz would have to pay a ton of $ to keep him. Now, IF the Jazz were to acquire him and sign him to an extension prior to the season, I'd be OK with the move. I do think Barnes could help the team. But there's no way to guarantee that an extension happens.

Barnes is not a great piece on the GS team, he is not better than Batum, he's a solid, average player. Kinda like Marvin Williams. If you're expecting him to create shots, pass the ball, or dribble, you're in for a surprise. Strictly a spot up shooter who plays average defense. That is what he is.

I know someone else who'd make this trade besides green. KOC.

When I heard earlier that the Jazz were talking David Lee with GS, I thought, "*&@*% how much influence does KOC still have?"

Barnes is a lot like Batum and I'd take Hood over either. Hood just has IT and both of these guys need others to set them up, to make them look good. GS is the team with the needs here, to unload players that are or will be wanting to absorb a lot of that teams salary. Barnes is like Kanter, not good enough to pay what he wants, but good enough that you don't want to give him up for nothing. They'll end up doing what we did with Kanter, give him up for something close to nothing.

So your objective here is to make us a playoff team next year? And that's it - you don't care if both would walk after that for nothing, you don't care that we waste 2 assets, one of which pretty good for a 1 year rental that would help a direct contender going forward! The ultimate goal of the team is playoffs 2016?

I'm not opposed to taking Barnes and Lee if we exhaust all our options of making our rotation stronger prior to that but the price you suggest is all wrong. If we take Lee and Barnes, we do NOT give them anything additional of value! Not a pick, not Burke, nothing. The price for taking Lee's humongous contract is Barnes. We might send a few non guaranteed contracts in order to get under the cap space, but that's it.

I would either rather do a salary dump trade, where Utah gets Lee and a pick for peanuts (ie., Cooley, etc.) or Lee plus Barnes for a the OKC first rounder. I definitely like the idea of having both Barnes and Lee in Jazz uniforms, though.

Lee only has 1 more year left. Lee is still a decent player. I think his scoring could help the bench also.

We get
Lee, Barnes and their 30th pick.

We give them the 12th pick and Trey Burke and contract fillers and maybe some 2nd round picks.

Disagree. Hood flashed signs he could be an 18 ppg scorer in this league with that deadly mid range game. That is what defenses give you nowadays, and to excel at it like Hood can is huge.
Barnes has been a role player his entire life, from his lackluster days at North Carolina to feeding off Curry and Thompson double teams in Golden State.

Lee is a borderline all-star? Lmao. Do some of you even watch basketball? He plays no defense! Barnes can't create a shot for himself, plays average defense and is an alright defender. He's still living off of his HS hype. He's nothing special, and he's going to want a big contract. This is a horrible trade.

Didn't he make the All-Star team last year?

Would Warriors even want to make another deal with Jazz after Jazz raided them the last time?

Would Warriors even want to make another deal with Jazz after Jazz raided them the last time?

Raided? Seems like the Warriors came out okay and the Jazz got a bunch of dice to roll (and got crazy lucky with Hood).