What's new

The Jazz Now have a top 10 Offense AND Defense!

framer

Power Rankings, Week 5: Lakers, Bucks hold top spots before matchup this week | NBA.com

Through four weeks, the Jazz are one of three teams — the Lakers and Bucks are the others — that rank in the top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. This is what some thought they could be last season, but they never really put it together defensively before getting torched by Jamal Murray in the playoffs. (Murray did score 30 points on Sunday, but he wasn’t all that efficient in doing so.) The Jazz rank in the top five in opponent field goal percentage in the paint (fifth), opponent effective field goal percentage from outside the paint (fourth, and opponent free throw rate (second).

OffRtg: 111.7 (9) DefRtg: 106.5 (6) NetRtg: +5.1 (5)

It is really nice to see things starting to come together. No reason we can't improve on both of these rankings, that offensive raking in particular.

Jazz are first in rebounding and 4th in three point percentage as well.

Power Rankings, Week 5: Lakers, Bucks hold top spots before matchup this week | NBA.com

OffRtg: 111.7 (9) DefRtg: 106.5 (6) NetRtg: +5.1 (5)

It is really nice to see things starting to come together. No reason we can't improve on both of these rankings, that offensive raking in particular.

Jazz are first in rebounding and 4th in three point percentage as well.

I think we have to realize how devastated half of the league has been by injuries and COVID protocols, whereas the Jazz have been virtually untouched by all of it. In fact the only Jazz game that’s been postponed cuz of COVID was a huge break for the Jazz - @ Wizards as a back-to-back for the last game of that roadtrip... We have NOT yet been challenged by big roster losses like so many other teams. A grain of salt...

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

At the beginning of the season, I would have said if the Jazz can crack the top 5 in offensive and defensive teams - that we'd be legit contenders for the next 3 years.

I don't know that it even matters. The Harden-KD nets have played 2 games together and already beat Milwaukee who should have won because of experience, coaching and having the MVP. I'm not sure the Nets are even fair.

The Jazz could add Gordon Hayward and Damian Lillard to their roster and still lose to Brooklyn.

I think we have to realize how devastated half of the league has been by injuries and COVID protocols, whereas the Jazz have been virtually untouched by all of it. In fact the only Jazz game that’s been postponed cuz of COVID was a huge break for the Jazz - @ Wizards as a back-to-back for the last game of that roadtrip... We have NOT yet been challenged by big roster losses like so many other teams. A grain of salt...

Ya, thank God we didn't have to play the mighty wizards

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

At the beginning of the season, I would have said if the Jazz can crack the top 5 in offensive and defensive teams - that we'd be legit contenders for the next 3 years.

I don't know that it even matters. The Harden-KD nets have played 2 games together and already beat Milwaukee who should have won because of experience, coaching and having the MVP. I'm not sure the Nets are even fair.

The Jazz could add Gordon Hayward and Damian Lillard to their roster and still lose to Brooklyn.
Milwaukee has a problem with their defense going against elite teams. If you can shoot really well from 3, they are pretty beatable. They are death to teams that are made up of spotty to average shooters. This is why they fail in the playoffs.

Milwaukee has a problem with their defense going against elite teams. If you can shoot really well from 3, they are pretty beatable. They are death to teams that are made up of spotty to average shooters. This is why they fail in the playoffs.

Me: "I'll bet Joe Harris ran roughshod on the Bucks." Checks the box score- Joe Harris did INDEED run roughshod on the Bucks. As did Jeff Green. 9-12 from 3 between the two of them.

The Wizards aren’t a great team (wow shocker) but I think you greatly underestimate the effect of a back-to-back as the final game on a long roadtrip, and the recurring ability of Jazz teams to lose to worse competition. That’s exactly what happened in MSG. I haven’t watched a single one of their games (and I know Bryant’s out for the year), but DC plays super fast, almost all of their losses have been very close, and they managed to beat the Suns and the Nets...

The last game of a road trip and the first game of a home return are not easy in the NBA, no matter what team you’re playing against.

Last edited:

Moreover you’re ignoring my main point - that nearly the entire is suffering serious roster issues with injuries and COVID problems, which the Jazz have been virtually entirely free from. That sh*t Cavs team we stomped on, had like 6 of their main rotation players out. The Hawks didn’t have Gallo or Bogdan or Kris Dunn. Rudy took Giannis out with his shoulder to his hip in the 3rd quarter. Hopefully the Jazz would’ve beat Denver if they had MPJ but idk?

What I’m saying is involuntary roster absences are wreaking havoc on NBA teams, manifested in the box scores and the records, and the Jazz have been really, really lucky with that so far... so cool the jets on the “man the Jazz really are so much better than these other teams” talk

The Wizards aren’t a great team (wow shocker) but I think you greatly underestimate the effect of a back-to-back as the final game on a long roadtrip, and the recurring ability of Jazz teams to lose to worse competition. That’s exactly what happened in MSG. I haven’t watched a single one of their games (and I know Bryant’s out for the year), but DC plays super fast, almost all of their losses have been very close, and they managed to beat the Suns and the Nets...

The last game of a road trip and the first game of a home return are not easy in the NBA, no matter what team you’re playing against.

I will still take the jazz in that game

Most championship teams have a top 5-7 one in both iirc. Can someone check? Maybe not the Lakers offense last year though. If we could become a top six in both, I may throw money on both.

Most championship teams have a top 5-7 one in both iirc. Can someone check? Maybe not the Lakers offense last year though. If we could become a top six in both, I may throw money on both.
Locke said, at some point, top 10 in both is a strong indicator of being a contender. Lakers and Bucks are the other teams this year that are there. I think the Nets get there by the end of the regular season.

I'm still not as high on the Clippers as everyone else. Maybe it is just because they have a matchup problem with the Jazz, and admittedly that is when I watch them the most.

Locke said, at some point, top 10 in both is a strong indicator of being a contender. Lakers and Bucks are the other teams this year that are there. I think the Nets get there by the end of the regular season.

I'm still not as high on the Clippers as everyone else. Maybe it is just because they have a matchup problem with the Jazz, and admittedly that is when I watch them the most.
As much as I expect the Nets to be a top 10 offense (or should we say top5, who knows If even top 1), but i'd be really surprised to see them going as a top10 defense

I feel like this team has a long way to go.

and still we have a 9-4 record and 3rd in the west.

I guess a winning streak says they are improving, and as fans we just need to ride the wave.

I feel like this team has a long way to go.

and still we have a 9-4 record and 3rd in the west.

I guess a winning streak says they are improving, and as fans we just need to ride the wave.

I just looked. We’ve had the 10th toughest SoS so far so that’s relatively comforting. The two LA teams have had the 3rd and 4th toughest though.

Lol, remember the clowns coming out a month ago to declare Utah's FO to be completely incompetent?

That #27 draft pick was just disastrous and really destroyed the team. Silly me for thinking people were overreacting.

FIRE EVERYBODY!!!