What's new

The Jazz rebuild

If Kanter doesn't get an offer from another team, Utah can exceed the cap to re-sign him to any amount (well, up to a max contract), correct?

Also, as I was reading through Coon's FAQ, it appears teams under the cap have less of an MLE to use. So if Utah were to get under the cap by the moves above, would they then lose the higher MLE and not be able to re-sign Booker at the $5M price (or whatever that MLE is) and just have the lower MLE left to use?
1. Yeah, Utah can sign their own free agents for up to the max.

2. The MLE used to only be available to teams who didn't use cap space. The cap space MLE is new with the current CBA. The Jazz can claim either the full MLE if it would put them above the cap OR use their cap space and the cap space MLE. I suspect the Jazz will be looking to move Booker before this becomes an issue.

Not going to get to that question right now. Just want to point out that Enes's QO and cap hold are not the same amounts. Enes's cap hold is the $12.4mil listed (200% of his salary this year).
Oh, I didn't know that. So even IF they extend the QO, it's the $12.4M that gets used to determine cap space available for free agency? If true, that sucks.

Given the Jazz' needs and what I think they'll do with Enes...DL sounded very sure about keeping him in a recent interview.
Sorry, can't find the link, but I think it was transcribed from a radio show.

"Is Enes Kanter “getting it” defensively?
Yeah, so, her–a couple things. One, it’s unfair to lay our defensive issues just at Enes’ feet. We have a young team, and we have a team at spots, especially when we sub, that lack some physicality, and that’s on me, frankly.

And so, collectively, and look, and this isn’t an alibi for Enes, but Enes lost two seasons…Enes Kanter is 22 and should be playing against University of Texas right now. …

The nice thing with Enes is he’s intelligent. He’s hard-working. And so, we’ll let it play out and I’ll continue to be very patient because 6-10, 6-11 who can play “four” and “five,” who can step out and shoot, who can drive his man, who can rebound, who’s as mobile and as coordinated, those guys don’t grow on trees. Those are special.

And I’d hate to go through the process with our young players, any young player, and go through all the trials and tribulations, and then let some other program reap the benefits when they turn 24, 25, 26. ‘Cause they’ll get there someday, chronologically."

1. I see a Gobert/Kanter/Favors rotation next season. Gobert probably still comes off the bench, but his minutes increase to 25+. Those minutes come at the expense of the backup PF. Jazz will also probably try to find a shooter to develop at the 4, either via the draft or in free agency. So maybe we keep Booker, maybe not. Booker could also be a good asset to trade at the deadline. I think a contender would be willing to part with a prospect or a late first for him. His contract, IINM, is a team option for next year, so he's a potential trading asset this year or next.

2. Burks, Hayward and Hood look like a decent rotation. Not saying trades can't be made, but with limited money available for free agents, this may be the spot to target via the draft or free agency. Will need to look at players in the MLE range.

3. Given our need for outside shooting, I think Johnson, Porzingis or McCullough might be great draft picks. There are others, of course. And plans really would change if the Jazz landed in the top-3. I'm a big Johnson guy myself (which my wife loves, of course). Seriously, he'd be a great pick. Jazz have to plan for Hayward potentially opting out and leaving after the 2016/17 season. Johnson could step in and start if that happens.

4. Neto comes over as the 3rd PG. I see Trey being traded at the 2016 deadline unless he suddenly becomes an outstanding shooter. Exum may/may not be ready to start. I'd like the jazz to go after a solid veteran who would split time with Dante initially, then start to give way as Exum takes over. Realistically, I think it might be 2 or even 3 more years before Exum is ready to play 30 mins/per.

Last edited:
Bump.

Just curious if any of the doomsdayers have lightened their stance on the progress of Utah's rebuild since the start of this thread. I think Gobert has already emerged as a much more valuable player, sooner than anyone would have thought. I also see progress from everyone not named Trey. Asset wise, I believe Rudy has shown how quickly things can change when you have as much youth/potential as Utah does.

At the moment the cap for next year is projected to be at 66,3 million. This could very well change dramatically, but this is the projected number for now.

With Burks` new contract, cap holds for Kanter, Evans and Clark and a 7th pick (estimated) coming in, we`re just under 73 million, and well over the cap.

If/when we renounce Clark and Evans, we are just under 69 million, and still under the cap.

If/when we waive Booker, we are just under 64 million. Dealing Novak too gets us 6 million under the cap.

It does nok look like we are going to get much money to play with next offseason. However, I do think that their is a fair chance that Enes Kanter takes the QO next summer. As a 3rd pick, he stands to earn close to 7,5 million next season by doing this. If his agent thinks that he will get a much larger deal in two years time - when the cap probably will be much higher - this would be a smart move. For Utah, this would mean another 4 million in cap space as his cap hold turns into his actual salary. With Booker and Novak on the team, we would be 1,5 million under the cap. With them moved, we would have just under 10 million in raw cap space.

I have a hard time seeing us signing anyone special as a free agent next year. Even if we could offer 10 million, who would want to sign a long term deal 1 year before the largest cap increase in NBA history? I can see us picking up another Booker-type player, but wouldn`t count on much else.

We probably got the best or future best defensive center in the league with the 27th pick in the worst draft in recorded history. The rebuild is botched, guys.

with pick that we literally bought off another team for.

My, what a crap GM we have. C at best.

Just went through this entire thread this morning.

A complete head-scratcher.

with pick that we literally bought off another team for.

My, what a crap GM we have. C at best.

A pick which Greg signed off on and paid for--a move Larry (at least not from reputation) might not have been willing to do. Everyone complains about Greg Miller, but he seems to be making the right decisions. He's let the rebuild take its course and trusted the people he's hired... and if you don't appreciate that, look at the Kings right now.

Bump.

Just curious if any of the doomsdayers have lightened their stance on the progress of Utah's rebuild since the start of this thread. I think Gobert has already emerged as a much more valuable player, sooner than anyone would have thought. I also see progress from everyone not named Trey. Asset wise, I believe Rudy has shown how quickly things can change when you have as much youth/potential as Utah does.

I'm thrilled with where the Jazz are right now. Sure I'd like more financial flexibility but I am very high on Burks, Hayward, Exum, Hood, Gbert, Kanter and Favors right now. Thrilled with the coaching staff. Defensive numbers are improving across the board (let's see how they hold up over the next 10 games) and the players (most of them) are improving right before our eyes. Some of them very fast, like Gobert.

I'm thrilled with where the Jazz are right now. Sure I'd like more financial flexibility but I am very high on Burks, Hayward, Exum, Hood, Gbert, Kanter and Favors right now. Thrilled with the coaching staff. Defensive numbers are improving across the board (let's see how they hold up over the next 10 games) and the players (most of them) are improving right before our eyes. Some of them very fast, like Gobert.

Yeah, but how many can you keep? I see the Jazz in 2-4 years built around Dante and Rudy. Who do you keep/add to complement them? Hayward would be the one guy I could see but he might be too expensive too after you sign those two youngster to big contracts.

Yeah, but how many can you keep? I see the Jazz in 2-4 years built around Dante and Rudy. Who do you keep/add to complement them? Hayward would be the one guy I could see but he might be too expensive too after you sign those two youngster to big contracts.

Hayward and Favors are keepers, unless they net something great in a trade.

Hayward and Favors are keepers, unless they net something great in a trade.
Anyone who doesn't think Hayward is a keeper at this point is crazy
Having said that, if he asked for something like 4 years 100 Million dollars in three years, then I don't know if he is still a keeper at that price

I went in to last season (13-14) hoping that our team would be more like this year. Losing lots of games by a slim margin, player development, leadership by Favs and Hayward. Turns out it just happened a year later than I had wished. Either way, seems like we are heading in the right direction. Next year we should be hoping to push 40 wins, and in 16-17 we make the playoffs.

Hayward, Exum, Gobert to me are the closest thing we have to untouchables. There's a real bedrock there. On principal, we probably don't have untouchables, but if we're being realistic, it's hard to imagine a trade scenario that would make you move one of them. Why would you? Favors is a nice piece, Kanter could be a nice piece but things are scary with him with contract looming.

Hayward, Exum, Gobert to me are the closest thing we have to untouchables. There's a real bedrock there. On principal, we probably don't have untouchables, but if we're being realistic, it's hard to imagine a trade scenario that would make you move one of them. Why would you? Favors is a nice piece, Kanter could be a nice piece but things are scary with him with contract looming.
Gobert is untouchable...unless the Jazz got Cauley-Stein in the draft.
Exum hasn't shown anything yet. Have to wait 2 more years before assessing.
Hayward is very good, but not untouchable. When we need him to step up, he often doesn't. Case in point was the 1st quarter tonight. Max players need to be able to carry teams whenever everyone else is struggling. In about half of Hayward's games, he shoots in the 30's. He needs to be more consistent. My biggest concern is how much he's going to ask for when he opts out in 3 years.