What's new

The Missing Piece

Utah needs to be careful with contracts at this juncture, but something to keep an eye on is Cleveland. If LeBro bolts, Cleveage might look to tear it down and start again. Love may become available at that point. Thoughts?

Utah needs to be careful with contracts at this juncture, but something to keep an eye on is Cleveland. If LeBro bolts, Cleveage might look to tear it down and start again. Love may become available at that point. Thoughts?

Pass... Love is washed.

We can’t.

But this guy is out there.

He’s a young restricted free agent, with ties to Utah. And looking for a good NBA fit where he can make his mark.Fits a positional need, and his best years are ahead of him.

Might as well be talking about Jimmer.

Jabari would be a HUGE mistake.

Take into account: As of today, in 2019 and beyond we've only got five guys locked up: Rudy, Donovan, Jingles, Crowder, and Royce.

The 'safest' route is probably attempting to keep Exum in the same neighborhood but definitely under 10 and letting Favors walk for a one year MLE type of vet that can step in at the 4 and play by committee with Crowder. Then, you can be confident you can run the same group of guys for the next 5-6 years. Resign Rubio and Rudy and fill in the blanks. Realistically, we're only a Kawhi or PG type talent away from really competing with the best. It just depends on if Dennis and Co. can convince that third star he's the missing the piece.

Here are my thoughts on this, but I would like the preface the post with this...

I dont think that we need two way players/defensive stalwarts all that bad when looking at who we want. The whole point to Rudy is that he anchors the defense, makes up for other players deficiencies, and makes everyone look better at defense. But of course its a plus if they are also really good at defense.

We dont need more defense. The Rockets and the Warriors will score no matter what and we need to score with them while holding them down as best as we can with our defense.

Mario Hezonja

I think he is by far and away the most interesting and desirable free agent we should be looking at. Every year its the same thing over and over. Yet, lessons seemingly are never learned. There is always some surprise. A player you didnt expect to make the jump. It seemed to just come out of no where. Except it really didnt. If you use your brain and put 2&2 together. Its actually pretty easy to see coming.

Hezonja is a blue chip quality high draft pick player who got buried on the bench by a dumb franchise. He just barely turned 23. He has good size. Very nice athleticism. Has a super clean shot with deep range. He can put the ball on the floor and create. He can pass. He is a pretty good defender. He has a strong personality. He is tough. We dont know how smart he is, but he can and will probably get smarter after playing for Quin.

This is the perfect opportunity to find money laying on the ground, and pick up a guy that you dont have to max out and overpay. Im not say he becomes a top 15 player, but Im like 99% sure it ends up being a signing you can make profit on. You arent signing the guy as is. You are counting on him getting better, and he will 99% most likely get better. If not he is still petty good. Remember he is 23 years old.

He fits with what we want to do, and with the way the league is going. Lets not forget he fits our international theme as well. Its a more than an obvious choice.

Going after known quantities and over paying for them rarely does you any good. You end up paying for it in one way or the other. You need to be savy and takes risks if you want to get ahead. You cant wait until the whole league knows what the deal is.

Others...

Terry Rozier - Yes, Yes, Yes, I have always liked him. I pimped him early on and even made a trade thread for him in his rookie year. But a few of the board geniuses shot it down and it never gained any traction. Boston probably isnt trading him now though, and you better be ready to pay up to one of the most savy GM's in the league. Even with Rubio Im still interested though. Damn good player. (And Donovan really likes him.)https://jazzfanz.com/threads/great-trade-idea.44367/

Lebron James - You better at least make the phone call

Paul George - Yes, Yes, Yes. Obvious reasons.

Exum - Try and keep him

Favors - Maybe, depends on his price, and if Hezojna is interested.

Aaron Gordon - Would love him, but he is getting matched.(He better get matched, or Orlando is officially the dumbest franchise out there)

Jabari - Always loved his game, but of course the injuries are worrying. I would consider depending on what he wants. I think whats best for both parties is to give him the yearly amount but shorten the contract. Make him prove he can stay healthy.

Wiggins - No. He is overpaid now. Ive never had faith he would live up to the hype. Id take him if they were dumping for a low cost just to take a gamble, but I wouldnt pay what they want.

Tobias Harris - Meh. Maybe.. It probably doesnt move the needle. We probably dont get any better with him. I probably wont complain and would be intrigued if DL seems to think something is there, but Im not excited. He is young still, but is nobody concerned with him bouncing from team to team? If he ended up here it would be his 5th team by the age of 26. There is something wrong with his impact he makes on your team I bet. Nobody is feeling him.

Will Barton - Maybe, decent player. Depends on his price. Willing to be 6th man.

Michael Beasley - Your favorite player's favorite player? You betcha. Id take that chance on him if my first options fell through. The guy can score the ball. We need more scoring.

Last edited:
Also, I know Numberica wanted a big 3 piece discussion, but we changed the discussion to free agency/trades.

Discussion changed. Plus write 4 more posts

papergc,441x415,w,ffffff.2.jpg

Last edited:
Here are my thoughts on this, but I would like the preface the post with this...

I dont think that we need two way players/defensive stalwarts all that bad when looking at who we want. The whole point to Rudy is that he anchors the defense, makes up for other players deficiencies, and makes everyone look better at defense. But of course its a plus if they are also really good at defense.

We dont need more defense. The Rockets and the Warriors will score no matter what and we need to score with them while holding them down as best as we can with our defense.

Mario Hezonja

I think he is by far and away the most interesting and desirable free agent we should be looking at. Every year its the same thing over and over. Yet, lessons seemingly are never learned. There is always some surprise. A player you didnt expect to make the jump. It seemed to just come out of no where. Except it really didnt. If you use your brain and put 2&2 together. Its actually pretty easy to see coming.

Hezonja is a blue chip quality high draft pick player who got buried on the bench by a dumb franchise. He just barely turned 23. He has good size. Very nice athleticism. Has a super clean shot with deep range. He can put the ball on the floor and create. He can pass. He is a pretty good defender. He has a strong personality. He is tough. We dont know how smart he is, but he can and will probably get smarter after playing for Quin.

This is the perfect opportunity to find money laying on the ground, and pick up a guy that you dont have to max out and overpay. Im not say he becomes a top 15 player, but Im like 99% sure it ends up being a signing you can make profit on. You arent signing the guy as is. You are counting on him getting better, and he will 99% most likely get better. If not he is still petty good. Remember he is 23 years old.

He fits with what we want to do, and with the way the league is going. Lets not forget he fits our international theme as well. Its a more than an obvious choice.

Going after known quantities and over paying for them rarely does you any good. You end up paying for it in one way or the other. You need to be savy and takes risks if you want to get ahead. You cant wait until the whole league knows what the deal is.

Others...

Terry Rozier - Yes, Yes, Yes, I have always liked him. I pimped him early on and even made a trade thread for him when he was on the bench getting barely any minutes playing 3rd string either his rookie year or last year.. But a few of the board geniuses shot it down and it never gained any traction. Boston probably isnt trading him now though, and you better be ready to pay up to one of the most savy GM's in the league. Even with Rubio Im still interested though. Damn good player. (And Donovan really likes him.)

Lebron James - You better at least make the phone call

Paul George - Yes, Yes, Yes. Obvious reasons.

Exum - Try and keep him

Favors - Maybe, depends on his price, and if Hezojna is interested.

Aaron Gordon - Would love him, but he is getting matched.(He better get matched, or Orlando is officially the dumbest franchise out there)

Jabari - Always loved his game, but of course the injuries are worrying. I would consider depending on what he wants. I think whats best for both parties is to give him the yearly amount but shorten the contract. Make him prove he can stay healthy.

Wiggins - No. He is overpaid now. Ive never had faith he would live up to the hype. Id take him if they were dumping for a low cost just to take a gamble, but I wouldnt pay what they want.

Tobias Harris - Meh. Maybe.. It probably doesnt move the needle. We probably dont get any better with him. I probably wont complain and would be intrigued if DL seems to think something is there, but Im not excited. He is young still, but is nobody concerned with him bouncing from team to team? If he ended up here it would be his 5th team by the age of 26. There is something wrong with his impact he makes on your team I bet. Nobody is feeling him.

Will Barton - Maybe, decent player. Depends on his price. Willing to be 6th man.

Michael Beasley - Your favorite player's favorite player? You betcha. Id take that chance on him if my first options fell through. The guy can score the ball. We need more scoring.

I'm with you on being smart about being ahead of the game when it comes to spotting talent. I like your assessment of Hezonja, and could happily entertain going after him.

Don't really agree with some of your other targets e.g. Parker, Gordon etc...

@Gas

Excellent post. Hezonja would be perfect. We could actually probably get him AND keep Exum and maybe even Favors (if the price makes sense). Hezonja checks all boxes in terms of ability and skill set. He checks all boxes in terms of age and potential.

I would rather spend $10 on both him and Exum than $20 on Gordon or Parker.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

IMO George or Leonard or Butler make us contenders next year, without a doubt. If you can get one you take it and run. That said, none of them would come here and they each have their own set of problems as well that might not mesh as well with our group.

Frankly, AD would be phenomenal in this group. Alongside Gobert, in his more comfortable position as PF, running with DM and Rubio. Wow. We have absolutely no way to get him, but, wow. Just wow.

Rubio
DM
Ingles
AD
Gobert

Oh to dream.

Isn't it incredible/surreal that one's 2018-19 Utah Jazz dream team can include Ingles. Remember his first half season (2014-15) and the many sympathetic and pitying comments that were made about him as a player. Unbelieveable....

Beasley interests me. I think he’s turned the corner so far as being a pro is concerned. He can play the 3 and the 4. His 78% FT% is better than Favors. His 9.0 rebounds per 36 despite playing on the perimeter much of the time is almost equal to Faves’ 9.2. His 2.7 assists per 36 is better than Faves 1.7. He’s obviously a far superior scorer and he’s a career 35.2% 3 point shooter (something Derrick could only dream of) and shot 39+% each of the last two years. With our coaching and continued maturity, I think the kid could be a 40+% consistently. As a stretch 4, that’s insane. Add in the fact that he can score other ways and that he’s a dynamic scorer that we don’t have outside of Mitchell, and a much different one too, and that’s a big asset, at a price that could be reasonable.

The big question of course is how is he on defense? I don’t know the answer to that but would imagine it’s God awful considering the Knicks team defense. That said, they didn’t have Gobert, Ingles, Rubio, Mitchell and company playing d beside him. And I think their coaching staff sucked quite frankly.

So yeah, on a production value basis, I am very interested in Beasley. There’s a reason he was the #2 pick. Crowder can start and Beasley can come in and be the scoring punch off the bench we sorely need.

Having said all this, I think the Knicks retain him at pretty much whatever price.

I was thinking about it and I'm pretty sure Hezonja is the FA target this year. If nothing else, we get someone who can legitimately back-up Favors while getting familiar with the system. At best, he breaks out. He would also fit with the culture of the team. Otherwise, he seems like a Quin type of player that he could use.