What's new

The Missing Piece

Do you consider any of Favors, Exum, Thabo, Jerebko, or Udoh assets? Because in order to make a run using cap space, you have to walk on all of them. Effectively trading them, for the purposes of this scenario.

We also have to find a taker for the AB contract which will cost us an asset too.

Do you consider any of Favors, Exum, Thabo, Jerebko, or Udoh assets? Because in order to make a run using cap space, you have to walk on all of them. Effectively trading them, for the purposes of this scenario.
I’m definitely not going to not make a big move because of Jerebko, Udoh, or Thabo. Exum we can get back for a good deal ideally. And obviously all of this revolves around Favors. If they pick Favors over Jabari (or whoever really) then great. Go Jazz, and I’m hyped for next season. And hopefully we figure out a better plan against GS or Houston with him and Gobert on the court. If that’s the move our FO makes then I’m sure they have good reason for doing so.

If they want to move away from the Favors and Gobert front court, and there is good reason for doing so. Then the options are:

start Jae Crowder (puke)

Get a super cheap starting PF, maybe even Thabo (net negative in my eyes, especially in the regular season)

Trade for someone like Tobias

Sign someone like Jabari or Gordon

If we let Favors walk and don’t replace him then I guess they are planning a move for the future, I’d support it.

If they let him walk and do replace him, then I assume they did their homework on whoever they get. Which is why I’d be fine with Parker in that scenario.

I’m definitely not going to not make a big move because of Jerebko, Udoh, or Thabo. Exum we can get back for a good deal ideally. And obviously all of this revolves around Favors. If they pick Favors over Jabari (or whoever really) then great. Go Jazz, and I’m hyped for next season. And hopefully we figure out a better plan against GS or Houston with him and Gobert on the court. If that’s the move our FO makes then I’m sure they have good reason for doing so.

If they want to move away from the Favors and Gobert front court, and there is good reason for doing so. Then the options are:

start Jae Crowder (puke)

Get a super cheap starting PF, maybe even Thabo (net negative in my eyes, especially in the regular season)

Trade for someone like Tobias

Sign someone like Jabari or Gordon

If we let Favors walk and don’t replace him then I guess they are planning a move for the future, I’d support it.

If they let him walk and do replace him, then I assume they did their homework on whoever they get. Which is why I’d be fine with Parker in that scenario.
You have to walk on Exum to have the space. Point blank.

To sign Parker or Gordon you have to :
Cut every non-guaranteed player
Don't re-sign Favors
Dont re-sign Exum
Trade Burks without taking salary back

All of that and just to sign a player that will probably get matched. So yeah, it's not going to happen unless the Jazz can figure out a sign and trade.

I gotta look at the numbers again, but I'm not sure that that is wholly necessary.

Don’t look... trust me... the myth that we have cap space this summer was dumb... and some smart people that cover the jazz perpetuated it.

So yeah, you dont have to trade Burks, but you have to at least trade Jae, and get no guaranteed salary in return.

And again, that's all to sign a RFA who there is a good chance would just get matched.

You have to walk on Exum to have the space. Point blank.
Really? Aren’t you allowed to go over to resign your own players?

If this is true, then it doesn’t change my opinion about the move, but it does make me think it is MUCH less likely.

I think the team wants to keep Exum, and so would I.

If this is true, then it doesn’t change my opinion about the move, but it does make me think it is MUCH less likely.

You were talking about signing Parker.

Signing your own player still requires cap space. Before then, the Jazz would still have to extend the qualifying offer... although maybe they could delay doing that? I'm fuzzy on that particular detail.

So yeah, you dont have to trade Burks, but you have to at least trade Jae, and get no guaranteed salary in return.

And again, that's all to sign a RFA who there is a good chance would just get matched.

I think you try and get in the room with them during FA and see if there is interest and negotiate basic parameters if there is... then you call Orlando and ask what it would take if the #s were XY&Z.

I think Gordon gets the max from someone... I could see BKN, Chicago, or Phoenix clearing enough space to offer the full max with poisonous terms. I think if they really want to keep him they should just make him a 4 year max offer when FA opens. If he makes visits I think it is a sign he is gettable.

Would Orlando do Jae, a 2019 pick and cap fodder? Sounds like a bad return, but might be less risky then letting him sign a 3+1 with trade kickers and player options and financing terms that make it tough to meet the cash flow demands that hurt the trade appeal of the player.

The Jazz cut every non-guaranteed player (that includes Royce) and waive the rights to Favors/Exum, then they have about 19-20 million in cap-space.
$19-20 million might get it done is part of my point. If $18 mil gets it done, you don't cut Royce.

Exum and Favs have huge cap holds... waive them and they are gone. Favs has value as a sign and trade candidate to teams that want him but don't have the space.

NBA salary cap is too damn much for me. So I just trust whoever sounds smartest around here.

If it’s true, then meh on Jabari if we can keep Faves and Exum instead.

But still, just gonna trust DL until proven otherwise.

I think Milwaukee would be interested in a sign and trade for Favs if we can keep the numbers for the contracts around 12-15M. I think Jabari gets more than that and whoever signs him will regret it.

Gordon will get the max... just book it right now.

My bet is they try to bring back Favs and Ex (replace if necessary without breaking the bank), then stand pat this summer with the exception of some possible movement around the draft (low-key stuff), then see how the team fares next year with a year to gel and a summer to all work out together, then next summer they might go after someone.

The offseason blue print for me:

- Move the unguaranteed guys or two of them for draft capital and expiring contracts.
- Sniff around high end FAs for sign and trade possibilities, but don't worry if nothing comes from it.
- Move AB if you can find a Demarre Carroll or Wes Matthews deal that is a better fit.
- Look for steals on the MLE market, but if not split the MLE on one year deals with team options for second year.
- Let Favs talk with teams... don't ignore him, but don't bring him back unless it is essentially a one year overpay.
- Get Dante on a 2-3 year deal and get him in the gym ASAP.
- Find a couple Royce contract candidates... guys that can be rotation players immediately on cheap LT deals. As the cap goes up these contracts have more and more value.
- Obviously nail the draft.

Don't feel the need to rush a deal that isn't right, don't be afraid to shake it up a little and change out some of the parts... let things play out a bit until the trade deadline and 2019 offseason. Have DM and Rudy recruit guys all year and do recon on who could come.