What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Those just show doors and roads... I'm telling you I'm ****ing 40 and I can clear any fence they have in like 30 seconds... might need 10-15 minutes to case the joint a little.

If Amazon can read my mind we can develop checks and algorithms that nab these guys before they commit a crime. Just put up substantial stop signs... but nah some think it should be the wild west and traffic signs infringe on my rights.

Pyschos will still do ****... they will make pipe bombs or do a mass stabbing or steal guns... but we will save lives putting up roadblocks and catching a bunch of them all along the way. Hell maybe some of those checks will find that we can help some of the psychos along the way!

The other issue here is just the general distrust of the government (which is fair). Its part of the reason gun owners aren't willing to give an inch here.

I also think this particular issue is something that should be one of the easier things to get on the same side... and we see they only dig in... its so not good.

Multiple possible mass shootings have been stopped by armed guards.
I'm sure this is true... I'll bet it does even provide a psychological affect that prevents some crimes... just like security cameras. Gun control and mental health measures have proven very effective in other countries too... lets go ahead and do it all.

This is not true lmao.

Maybe you live in a very small population area with tiny school districts or something, but your experience is in no way accurate to the entire south.

But yeah, most schools have one main entrance where everyone is directed to go (lawfully), but like many republicans like to point out, laws dont actually matter lmao. Anything is an entrance if you want it to be.
Williamson County Tennessee. One of the most popular places to live in the country. County schools are all built as one big building.

If you want to get argumentative, you could talk about sports fields access, but those doors should be monitored when students are heading back inside. SRO (Student Resource Officers) should be monitoring this door. And another at the main entrance.

Nothing is perfect, but protect the schools best you can. Taking away all guns is impossible.

Williamson County Tennessee. One of the most popular places to live in the country. County schools are all built as one big building.

If you want to get argumentative, you could talk about sports fields access, but those doors should be monitored when students are heading back inside. SRO (Student Resource Officers) should be monitoring this door. And another at the main entrance.

Nothing is perfect, but protect the schools best you can. Taking away all guns is impossible.
The old movie theatres had two points of entry and we were still able to sneak in as dumb kids.

I think some of the on premise security stuff could help and I'm all for whatever helps.. but single entry is like treating cancer with some vitamin C... it may have some psychological benefits and may do us some good but we still have cancer. I'll take the vitamin C... but I still need the chemo.

Schools should be more safe than some community buildings... but if it isn't schools these idiots will shoot up churches, movie theatres, concerts. We can't confiscate all the guns but you can make it harder to get them. If someone has to get a gun illegally or make it (i guess this is a thing?) it will be a barrier to the crime... and I think that has to be the largest focus.

I also think mental health stuff should be at the forefront here. My experience with my daughter and her mental health issues has been eye opening. Schools, teachers, have been really hit or miss in being helpful and the level of effort we have put in has been a lot. I can't imagine if my wife was a working single mom or if we weren't vigilant parents that she would be getting the help she needs.

So I had a missionary companion who was in Columbine... was shot in the neck and left for dead. He was a great guy... ended up going home early when a kid shot a paintball gun at him when he was riding his bike. Triggered his anxiety to the point we couldn't leave the house.

He had dealt with it the best he could. Had large scars he was asked about and never afraid to tell people what happened but the PTSD got the best of him. I just wonder how many hundreds of kids and families are now crippled with fear in these schools.

The old movie theatres had two points of entry and we were still able to sneak in as dumb kids.

I think some of the on premise security stuff could help and I'm all for whatever helps.. but single entry is like treating cancer with some vitamin C... it may have some psychological benefits and may do us some good but we still have cancer. I'll take the vitamin C... but I still need the chemo.

Schools should be more safe than some community buildings... but if it isn't schools these idiots will shoot up churches, movie theatres, concerts. We can't confiscate all the guns but you can make it harder to get them. If someone has to get a gun illegally or make it (i guess this is a thing?) it will be a barrier to the crime... and I think that has to be the largest focus.

I also think mental health stuff should be at the forefront here. My experience with my daughter and her mental health issues has been eye opening. Schools, teachers, have been really hit or miss in being helpful and the level of effort we have put in has been a lot. I can't imagine if my wife was a working single mom or if we weren't vigilant parents that she would be getting the help she needs.
Good post.

You have to do all things:

1. - make it hard to a get a gun

2. - identify and treat mental health, and inform those who need to know about mental health issues. I care about privacy, but I care about possible victims even more.

3. - protect everything you can - especially schools. There have been 27 school shootings this year. Paid staff, off duty officers/vets, volunteers, etc. should be used to protect these places regardless of how hard they are to protect

This is a war on multiple fronts.

And I think all responsible gun owners that want guns for responsible reasons would agree. The NRA and some of the wackos think we should buy them like milk and eggs. They should be pushing the other side of the argument if they want to keep their guns.

I have a shotgun for sport (literally just shoot clay pigeons a couple times a year) and to teach my kids how to handle a gun. My FIL decided to buy all the dads handguns for christmas two years ago. We just have to fill in the paperwork and go down to the store etc. I haven't done it in spite of his constant reminders. There is enough paperwork that I don't want to do it.
I have two guns that were both gifts (one from my dad and one from my FIL) and I haven't shot either in years. I keep a can of bear mace and a short baseball bat by the front door.

Multiple possible mass shootings have been stopped by armed guards.
Not the last two. The buffalo grocery store shooting also had an armed guard who was killed.

I'm sure this is true... I'll bet it does even provide a psychological affect that prevents some crimes... just like security cameras. Gun control and mental health measures have proven very effective in other countries too... lets go ahead and do it all.
Whoa whoa whoa, you were on the right path when you agreed that more guns prevents some crimes but gtfo with that gun control stuff.

For guns that shoot more than so many rounds (I'll let experts decide what that is), there should be more extensive background checks and a waiting period of at least a week. Hunters and avid gunsmen usually plan their trips ahead of time so the wait shouldn't be an issue. Even with this, it doesn't completely stop everything.

Every school should have 1 entrance that has two layers of doors. An armed officer should be at the entrance of the first door at all times. That officer should have to press a "not so obvious to an outsider" button to open the second door.
The High School that I worked at (retired yesterday) operated in a similar fashion. Only one entrance for visitors with two sets of doors, the second one locked and manned by campus security. (There is also campus police consisting of two sometimes three armed officers that, when in their office, are monitoring surveillance cameras.) Both sets of doors are heavy metal solid doors, the second ones entered have a grated periphery such that campus security can evaluate and allow or deny access.

The school has multiple exits obviously for fire code, all are heavy metal and all normally set for self lock as the door swings back shut (self closing).

Uvalde school district obviously has incredible legal exposure due to security breeches. The city also has legal exposure due to the lack of conveying timely lock down directives with an active shooter on the loose. What was a literal and heartbreaking bloodbath will be a financial bloodbath for the city and state municipalities I predict. Every parent with a child in that school stands to benefit in the financial department, which for me is some small consolation as many in that community are struggling financially.

Last edited: