What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

It looks like we're stuck with him for at least one more season.
I always thought he was more interested in San Antonio… the Lakers job isn’t a good one with the current cast. Lebron great but when it fails he ain’t taking the blame.

Every school should have 1 entrance that has two layers of doors. An armed officer should be at the entrance of the first door at all times. That officer should have to press a "not so obvious to an outsider" button to open the second door.
If you live in any other country (at least any the US would even remotely like to compare itself to), this is crazy talk. No one else protects their schools like this. There is a pretty simple fix, but it doesn't seem to be on the table for the religious extremists that comprise about half of the US congress.

Nothing is perfect, but protect the schools best you can. Taking away all guns is impossible.

This isn't hard. It's has zero to do with protecting schools.

If you live in any other country (at least any the US would even remotely like to compare itself to), this is crazy talk. No one else protects their schools like this. There is a pretty simple fix, but it doesn't seem to be on the table for the religious extremists that comprise about half of the US congress.
What is that simple fix?

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Okay Thanos. Snap and get rid of the guns. That will cure hatred and evil people.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Cant cure hatred and evil.
hatred and evil exist in other countries too. Impossible to cure. Getting rid of guns seems impossible as well. Other countries have some guns too. Not nearly as many as us. Less guns seems doable. Note I didn't say NO guns. LESS guns. Problem is that gun companies (browning, remington, ruger, etc etc etc) have so much money, power and influence in our country. Not to mention the NRA and the GOP. Should probably try to make those things less powerful.

Cant cure hatred and evil.
hatred and evil exist in other countries too. Impossible to cure. Getting rid of guns seems impossible as well. Other countries have some guns too. Not nearly as many as us. Less guns seems doable. Note I didn't say NO guns. LESS guns. Problem is that gun companies (browning, remington, ruger, etc etc etc) have so much money, power and influence in our country. Not to mention the NRA and the GOP. Should probably try to make those things less powerful.

The problem is that someone who is willing to commit mass murder and die on the scene is far past the point of considering the legality of his actions. It's an outlier scenario, though one that needs to be dealt with.

If it were up to me, I would require gun owners to be at least 22 years old, take formal training, pass a gun safety test and hold a license. Then for a high-powered weapon like an assault rifle, I would raise the civilian age to something like 26 and restrict use to a clear "emergencies" only. I don't think an AR-15 can be treated like a common concealed-carry weapon. It needs to be locked down.

The problem is that someone who is willing to commit mass murder and die on the scene is far past the point of considering the legality of his actions. It's an outlier scenario, though one that needs to be dealt with.

If it were up to me, I would require gun owners to be at least 22 years old, take formal training, pass a gun safety test and hold a license. Then for a high-powered weapon like an assault rifle, I would raise the civilian age to something like 26 and restrict use to a clear "emergencies" only. I don't think an AR-15 can be treated like a common concealed-carry weapon. It needs to be locked down.

Exactly.
I think most people in our country are down with your ideas. Problem is that those with the power to make these changes stand to lose too much money from gun companies and the nra.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

AR-15s aren't in some special class of "high-powered" weapon.

If people want to set regulations based on certain features (cosmetic and functional) and it's possible to do that then fine, but AR-15s aren't specifically "high-powered."

Maybe you can use a combination of the kinetic energy of the round it fires and other factors like semi-automatic, detachable magazine, minimum overall length.

I would absolutely avoid meaningless features such as flash suppressors, collapsible stock (using minimum overall length instead), bullpup grip, accessory rails, magazine capacity, etc..

You can't restrict use to clear emergencies only. I don't want anyone to own a firearm they aren't familiar with using safely. You have to allow for target shooting, practice, cleaning, etc.. That's one reason I don't like the ideas I've seen for limiting quantity of ammo purchases.

So I had a missionary companion who was in Columbine... was shot in the neck and left for dead. He was a great guy... ended up going home early when a kid shot a paintball gun at him when he was riding his bike. Triggered his anxiety to the point we couldn't leave the house.

He had dealt with it the best he could. Had large scars he was asked about and never afraid to tell people what happened but the PTSD got the best of him. I just wonder how many hundreds of kids and families are now crippled with fear in these schools.
Where did you serve your mission?

Honestly you do not need to own an assault rifle, it is a tool for killing humans and nothing else. People hunted very effectively with rifles and shot guns.

People still hunt here, you have to do a gun safety course and pass a police check to get a licence. Its not too hard to get a long arm licence, hand gun licences are much harder to get and should be. Again guns are a tool, a friend of mine is a professional shooter who does pest control for farmers and is a nationally ranked target shooter he does not need automatic weapons to do his job.

I personally see no reason why firearms in metropolitan areas can't be stored at police stations or government owned armouries and signed in and out by their owners (farmers need them, especially if you own animals, guns have to be on hand to destroy animals if necessary). I suppose since Port Arthur we've managed things fairly well, most gun related deaths are from suicide and it is predominately in rural areas because guns are at hand.