What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

C’mon Homey you’re better than this, at least I thought you were! First of all not the story I got, second of all its immaterial to the argument. There’s been three massacres in the past two weeks!
I just read a story from the Wash Post that said he bought the two long guns from a firearms dealer after his 18th birthday and passed all checks. Maybe the background checks need to be more rigorous obviously. I assume the story was reliable.

I just read a story from the Wash Post that said he bought the two long guns from a firearms dealer after his 18th birthday and passed all checks. Maybe the background checks need to be more rigorous obviously. I assume the story was reliable.
CNN reported that he was able to purchase an assault weapon promptly on his 18th birthday with a background check still pending. HR8 which Kerr referred to obviously entails a stringent background check involving educational, medical and criminal vetting with a waiting period involved.
Kerr didn’t mention the availability of assault weapons but to me that component was also tacitly implied.

CNN reported that he was able to purchase an assault weapon promptly on his 18th birthday with a background check still pending. HR8 which Kerr referred to obviously entails a stringent background check involving educational, medical and criminal vetting with a waiting period involved.
Kerr didn’t mention the availability of assault weapons but to me that component was also tacitly implied.
I’m not a gun guy… it seems wild that folks can get a damn assault rifle at all… let alone with less stringent checks than what I had to go through to get my first blockbuster card. I’m all for as many background checks and hurdles as possible… tax the **** out of it too… send all the money to the families of those that lost someone to this garbage.

I’m not a gun guy… it seems wild that folks can get a damn assault rifle at all… let alone with less stringent checks than what I had to go through to get my first blockbuster card. I’m all for as many background checks and hurdles as possible… tax the **** out of it too… send all the money to the families of those that lost someone to this garbage.
Well said Sir! It really is a hideous absurdity IMO!

Last edited:
For guns that shoot more than so many rounds (I'll let experts decide what that is), there should be more extensive background checks and a waiting period of at least a week. Hunters and avid gunsmen usually plan their trips ahead of time so the wait shouldn't be an issue. Even with this, it doesn't completely stop everything.

Every school should have 1 entrance that has two layers of doors. An armed officer should be at the entrance of the first door at all times. That officer should have to press a "not so obvious to an outsider" button to open the second door.

For guns that shoot more than so many rounds (I'll let experts decide what that is), there should be more extensive background checks and a waiting period of at least a week. Hunters and avid gunsmen usually plan their trips ahead of time so the wait shouldn't be an issue. Even with this, it doesn't completely stop everything.

Every school should have 1 entrance that has two layers of doors. An armed officer should be at the entrance of the first door at all times. That officer should have to press a "not so obvious to an outsider" button to open the second door.
lmfao

So what if that officer goes down? Then you got an active shooter in a building with one exit? Are you ****ing dumbass?

The solutions are extremely obvious:

1. We need to materially improve the living conditions and life quality of people who live in poverty. America's income equality is sky-rocketing and it's going to lead to more and more extremely depressed people who turn to violence.

2. We need to improve access to healthcare, both physical and mental.

3. You shouldnt be allowed to carry guns in public. It's ****ing psychotic. Guns should only be kept in the home unless you are hunting/shooting for leisure, in which case the guns must be kept in a carrying case that is locked until they are in the intended area of use.

4. Ban people like Tucker Carlson from speaking on TV (and anyone else who uses white supremacist rhetoric).

5. Increase background checks. Make it public information when someone buys a gun.

Last edited:
lmfao

So what if that officer goes down? Then you got an active shooter in a building with one exit? Are you ****ing dumbass?

1. We need to materially improve the living conditions and life quality of people who live in poverty. America's income equality is sky-rocketing and it's going to lead to more and more extremely depressed people who turn to violence.

3. You shouldnt be allowed to carry guns in public. It's ****ing psychotic. Guns should only be kept in the home unless you are hunting/shooting for leisure, in which case the guns must be kept in a carrying case that is locked until they are in the intended area of use.

4. Ban people like Tucker Carlson from speaking on TV (and anyone else who uses white supremacist rhetoric).

5. Increase background checks. Make it public information when someone buys a gun.
He said entrance not exit. My warehouses all have 1 or maybe 2 entrances for 200+ employees, but we have 50+ emergency exits that are inaccessible from the outside. Really the addition needs to be an emergency exit in each individual classroom so the students can get out as fast as possible.

Also open carry laws would do nothing to stop these shootings. Most of these shooters didn't want anyone to see their gear until they were engaged in the shooting so no one would try to stop them. They weren't traipsing around waving their guns in the air due to open carry laws.

I see no purpose to having an AR other than going to the shooting range for funsies or killing massive amounts of people. Do hunters take that **** out?

Civilians shouldn't be allowed to have them... if they want them make the barriers to entry extreme... psych evals, 1-2 year waiting period, need to be 25+, like a $5k permit with annual renewals... Give all the money to schools to retrofit for active shooter lockdown security purposes or something like that.

There are also a billion other things they should do but if you are a hunter that needs an AR to be effective just get better at hunting. These guns are killing too many people. Recreational firearm use isn't some constitutional right. I know a handful of people that have ARs... one is super responsible and just likes collecting that stuff... the rest are some of the most paranoid people ever.

lmfao

I think like 90% of the problems in the country come down to politicians being on the take from special interest groups or just pandering to their base to stay in power. I just think they take so much money from the NRA they can never pass anything reasonable.

I think every gun that is sold should come with a standard capacity magazine for that type of gun. Say, 8 round for a semiautomatic handgun, as an example. If you want a higher-capacity magazine you should have a separate background check and go through an FBI or ATF permit process wherein the magazine is registered. This way they can identify people trying to acquire large numbers of high-capacity mags. Could catch that red flag. Same could be done for buying large amounts of ammo.

For my 9mm I have about 6 magazines. 2 standard capacity (I think mine are 13), and a few military spec that hold 15, and 2 extended mags that hold 19. But when I go shooting I almost always just use the lower capacity mags because it doesn't extend the size of the gun by extending out the handle. In the last, oh say decade, I've shot from the high-capacity mags maybe 6 or 8 times total. And this was even when I was participating in competition shooting. There is almost never a reason for an extended mag on a handgun. And very few for extended mags on rifles. The only rifle I have with an extended mag is essentially the sport version of the AR-15, a semiautomatic .223 I use for varmint, but that is just because often you are taking a lot of shots after another when you kick up a bunch of jackrabbits or something. Even then it holds 15 rounds I think, and my basic gun holds 6. But the actual "need" is pretty minor.

The one monkey-wrench in all this is, like the Columbine killers, they can have other people acquire their weapons. And it still does nothing for places like gun shows or private sales or illegally acquired weapons.

This is an insanely tough nut to crack. So many guns are already out there. Almost anything short of a full-scale military level confiscation of all guns won't do much to curtail the problem.

I also think about things like rental car companies waiting until people are 25 to rent a car and think... why do they do that? Its to protect their asses like all good private businesses do. Maybe have additional regulations but also make gun retailers and manufacturers responsible for lawsuits and damages done by their firearms. How thorough would the background checks get then if the CEO thinks his company has their *** hanging out there? How many would just say eff it... we aren't in the gun business anymore. Less access to weapons can help prevent this **** even if it is just like a 6 month wait... maybe someone sniffs out a mental health issue or the person gets help.

He said entrance not exit. My warehouses all have 1 or maybe 2 entrances for 200+ employees, but we have 50+ emergency exits that are inaccessible from the outside. Really the addition needs to be an emergency exit in each individual classroom so the students can get out as fast as possible.

Also open carry laws would do nothing to stop these shootings. Most of these shooters didn't want anyone to see their gear until they were engaged in the shooting so no one would try to stop them. They weren't traipsing around waving their guns in the air due to open carry laws.
Maybe Im ignorant, but what prevents these exits from being an entrance?

Maybe Im ignorant, but what prevents these exits from being an entrance?
I'm sure there is some of this stuff that helps... but my son's high school is brand new and has all the latest features. I had to get on campus for a baseball game and all the entrances were locked up. In 3 minutes of scanning I identified an area where an old guy like me could hop the fence with ease. I was carrying a couple folding chairs and was over the fence in like 20 seconds. I wasn't trying to hurry... if I was I could parkor that **** in like 5 seconds.

I think every gun that is sold should come with a standard capacity magazine for that type of gun. Say, 8 round for a semiautomatic handgun, as an example. If you want a higher-capacity magazine you should have a separate background check and go through an FBI or ATF permit process wherein the magazine is registered. This way they can identify people trying to acquire large numbers of high-capacity mags. Could catch that red flag. Same could be done for buying large amounts of ammo.

For my 9mm I have about 6 magazines. 2 standard capacity (I think mine are 13), and a few military spec that hold 15, and 2 extended mags that hold 19. But when I go shooting I almost always just use the lower capacity mags because it doesn't extend the size of the gun by extending out the handle. In the last, oh say decade, I've shot from the high-capacity mags maybe 6 or 8 times total. And this was even when I was participating in competition shooting. There is almost never a reason for an extended mag on a handgun. And very few for extended mags on rifles. The only rifle I have with an extended mag is essentially the sport version of the AR-15, a semiautomatic .223 I use for varmint, but that is just because often you are taking a lot of shots after another when you kick up a bunch of jackrabbits or something. Even then it holds 15 rounds I think, and my basic gun holds 6. But the actual "need" is pretty minor.

The one monkey-wrench in all this is, like the Columbine killers, they can have other people acquire their weapons. And it still does nothing for places like gun shows or private sales or illegally acquired weapons.

This is an insanely tough nut to crack. So many guns are already out there. Almost anything short of a full-scale military level confiscation of all guns won't do much to curtail the problem.
Right but with Columbine you have multiple kids planning and scheming. You have an opportunity for multiple sets of parents to catch something... you have a chance for any of the kids to change their minds. Columbine types might not be preventable with gun control.

Single shooter stuff like this one seems like it could be stopped or at least limited with some common sense and firm gun laws.

We will never stop them all... but we are doing so poorly that stopping like 50% would still be much worse than other countries are doing.