What's new

The *OFFICIAL* Russia Is About To Invade Ukraine Thread

I wish I was this optimistic. I still think it is unlikely, but I think there is a small chance he goes full crazy.

To borrow a phrase from Donald Rumsfeld the "known unknown" is how Putin will react when NATO and most of the rest of the first world essentially turns Russia into North Korea?

That is cut off from the rest of the world financial markets with a worthless/untradeable currency with only a barter for barter market existing with China and maybe a few other second/third world countries that can't be bought (who I'm surrrreeeee will not take advantage of the situation)

Are there any off-ramps left for Putin, a guy who may have lost it a little, where he can save face?

Where is the line of demarcation when Putin starts acting like a cornered animal?

Dangerous times.

Was linked to this. It's 30 minutes. Worthwhile, in my opinion.

Almost all of the way through this I was thinking it's obviously biased and defective because of the almost complete lack of references to the diplomatic negotiations that have gone on since before WWII, in fact since 1917. I consider the entire Cold War a propaganda fraud on the world because of the real behind the scenes relationships.

Then at near the end, the reason was given: It would not be available for us to read if that truth were told.

I did learn some things I did not know here, however.

Do you know what photoshopped means?
Probably not. Into every skull some world fall, and some come out at well, with meanings nobody can really nail down.

I meant that it was something Zelensky did in front of a neutral screne in some damn studio, with a tourist pic later added for a background. I suppose you mean all elements have to be pulled off of some existing library and maybe, or maybe not, modified with some computer effects. Who the hell cares.

It’s amazing how he takes Russia’s side every ****ing time. He’s hardly a neutral observer here.

So let’s say it’s photoshopped. Okay, So does That zelenksy has fled? That he’s dead? Gee, who would want that to be the truth?
Pretty extreme take on pretty damn few facts. Why is it important to you to ignore 90% of what I've ever said of Russia or Putin, and twist the rest. I think since you have no actual facts to support this campaing is violation of supposed forum rules.

But go ahead, with your buddies, do your damnedest.

The facrt is, imo, that Putin wants Zelensky alive and well and at a negotiating table. As a comedian, he has a lot of street cred. Easier to work through him than around him.

And any kind of webz or pic shenanigans can be done just as well wherever the hell he is as wherever the hell you might think he is.

I think he does not want Putin to have his geotag. Or even Biden and our "services" for that matter. He's worth more to the fascists dead than alive. His live is in fact beneficial to Putin. The whole idea of being "reasoned" depends on the treatment Zelensky gets during negations.

It is interesting to note that Turkey has officially recognized Russia's incursion into Ukraine as a war. Per the 1936 Montreau Convention, that means the passage into the Black Sea is now closed to Russian war ships. If a Russian war ship tries to run the blockade then Turkey can sink it, and if the Russians return fire then the United States will be at war because Turkey is a NATO country.

Yeah, you're wrong and your take is kind of dumb.

There is NO alternative to SWIFT now and China can work on one all it wants but I think 99% of the world is happy with SWIFT so there is no reason anyone would move to an alternative. So if China ever develops it and if it is adopted it will be far too late to stop the economic impact on Russia in the near future.
you have no reasoned discussion relevant to the analysis I referred to. Sure it's one man's opinion, but I listened to his interview for the full length.

Pretty clear how partisan you are. That tells me something, considering your preferred sources.

Pretty sure Putin had good analysis of his opponents. He might have felt he had to do this, or just forever be attacked, with no place to run. I think that is part, at least, of the "why" for all this. But then I have nothing near that kind of information base. I am certain Kicky does, but I am equally, or more, certain of his partisanship. Probably couldn't see dayl9ight between him ande Fiona Hill. Eeewwww that sounds gross, but let's clear it up. In point of view. That's all. He is as committed to that as Red is.

No matter how bad the "King" is, I am inclined to worry about who will replace Putin. It could be worse. Especially if you for any reason are all for it.

It is interesting to note that Turkey has officially recognized Russia's incursion into Ukraine as a war. Per the 1936 Montreau Convention, that means the passage into the Black Sea is now closed to Russian war ships. If a Russian war ship tries to run the blockade then Turkey can sink it, and if the Russians return fire then the United States will be at war because Turkey is a NATO country.
sources would be nice.

sources would be nice.
Source to show the 1936 Montreau Convention grants Turkey the power to close the passage to the Black Sea to belligerent nations:
"Ukraine's ambassador to Turkey Vasyl Bodnar went on local television last week and appealed for the government in Ankara to close its key straits to Russian warships under provisions of the 1936 Montreux Convention. Turkey said it could only do so if it officially recognized the conflict as a war, and on Sunday, that's what it did."

"The convention gives Turkey certain control over the passage of warships from the Dardanelles and Bosphorus Straits that connect the Aegean, Marmara, and Black Sea."

Source to prove Turkey is a NATO country:

Source to support an attack on a NATO country is considered an attack on all NATO countries including the United States:

Source to show the 1936 Montreau Convention grants Turkey the power to close the passage to the Black Sea to belligerent nations:

Source to prove Turkey is a NATO country:

Source to support an attack on a NATO country is considered an attack on all NATO countries including the United States:

Thank you.

I knew some that that but lacked thorough references.

I think more is made of some of these items in our media at the moment than is actually realistic.

I think closing the straits is itself an act of war in view of Russia, and it is effectively a declaration of war by NATO. Don't know how many NATO countries want it to be doing that right now.

I think Putin hurt his case by doing the physical invasion. If he would have stopped with just recognizing the Luhansk and Donetsk republics and holding a few troops in support maybe it would not have gone so bad in a lot of foreign relations.

I think Putin's information must have been that Ukraine was going to join NATO no matter what he did. I think he viewed even that as a declaration of war.

I noticed that India is one of the countries that is against the resolution condemning Russia, and that the language of the resolution has been changed from "condemn" to "deplore" in order to get more countries on board.

Western media in the UK and EU have shut down Russian sources to achieve a "single narrative". This is also a declaration of war in effect, and means negotiations will not succeed.

I am corrected here by some facts. While the UK and EU are talking about shutting down RT in languages "at home", apparently russian language news can still be accessed from the West. I have also been able to access english language "Moscow times". I don't know how controlled russian media is, but reportedly a lot of it is done with regard to not anger government folks.

Last edited:
FYI:
Western media in the UK and EU have shut down Russian sources to achiece a "single narrative". This is also a declaration of war and means negotiations will not succeed.

It's not that hard to find out what Russian media is saying.

I'm literally watching Today's programming right now:

It’s pretty stunning how much social media has shown us on the frontlines and in real time. Not just from civilians, but military servicemen posting things, memes, etc. Even people recording their own death unfortunately.

I don’t like calling it the Tik Tok war, but it’s amazing how satellite mapping and other technology has unclouded the fog of war.

This is a sobering interview with Fiona Hill about Putin, his mentality/plans, and the situation in Ukraine. Spoiler, don’t read it if you want a good night’s rest. Putin’s going to turn Kyiv into Grozny or Aleppo in the next few days.

Last edited:
This is a sobering interview with Fiona Hill about Putin, his mentality/plans, and the situation in Ukraine. Spoiler, don’t read it if you want a good night’s rest. Putin’s going to turn Kyiv into Grozny or Aleppo in the next few days.

I found this to be a good piece to read in conjunction with the interview of Fiona Hill….

As was this:

“All this aside, it is still possible—even likely—that, if the fighting goes on much longer, the Russians will overtake the Ukrainians, capture Kyiv, and possibly oust the current government. They’ve sent in only about two-thirds of the troops and weapons that had been poised on the Ukrainian border. Convoys of tanks are rolling in—however slowly—from the north, west, and south. They are joined, or are about to be joined, by Belarusian troops and Chechen special forces. As the resistance mounts and as the Russians’ offensive is thwarted, Putin and his generals can be expected to turn up the heat, shelling—and, recently, bombing—cities, destroying whatever they can destroy, for destruction’s sake. This is what the Russian military has done elsewhere, notably in Chechnya, when its officers feel frustrated. At some point, superior firepower will win out, at least in the short run.

But this doesn’t mean they will win in the long run. The resistance will continue, especially now that practically every nation in NATO is supplying Ukraine with weapons. Putin’s invasion has rallied Ukrainian nationalism, stiffened the West’s spine, and sent his own economy into a tailspin. Chaotic destructiveness can only go so far. It is not a winning technique for the long run against organized defenses. And the more Putin resorts to chaotic destructiveness, the more organized the defenses become”.

Last edited:
Meanwhile on Russian tv…

This is what Trump, Tucker, and Fox News do to America. Just completely Orwellian. Keeping large segments of the population completely ignorant of reality.

Just like Fox News finds an enemy (BLM, Fauci, liberals, caravans, trans children, etc) and spins it’s narrative around that enemy while ignoring everything else, Russian “News” does the same. This claim of neo Nazis joining forces with the west to defend Ukraine is really ****ed up. And once images of Kyiv in rubble begin to show up, they can call it “fake news” while also justifying it over the Nazis and the west for it taking over Ukraine. I’ve even seen them accuse thee east of arming Ukraine with nuclear weapons. Hence, justification for anything Russia now does. You can see the Hannitys, Tuckers, and Rand Pauls of Russia saying,

“They did this. The decadent Nazi west did all of this. See, the Russian people are victims again. The west infringed into Russia’s sphere of influence for living space. But we’re also conquerors and didn’t lose a single person! All hail putin! You really aren’t poor and the ruble makes excellent firewood. Don’t protest any of this or else you’ll be beaten and arrested.”

Sad. I don’t know how you mobilize people into action when the state has such a tight grip on information. Really Orwellian 1984 stuff when you consider the millions in America, China, and Russia living in a bubble completely detached from reality.

A photo is being shown of a Ukrainian soldier said to be the wife of the Ukrainian Vice President. But the photo is old, and not the vice president’s wife. That photo is not included in the compilation below. In these photos, women shown with a black band across their image have been killed in combat…

Last edited:

Ummm.
Even the organizing pages are being peppered with conversations about the war, updates on Russian advancements, and brainstorming on how to make this about them. “Wasn't this group originally about the global freedom convoy? How did it get highjacked so easily?” one supporter asked. Others desperately tried to direct people Ukraine-posting toward other chats. A few “truckers” are upset that people think what the Ukrainian people are going through is as bad as being asked to wear a mask or vaccine mandates.
“People now say: Well, those ‘Freedom Truckers’ sure picked a bad week to try and get attention for being victims of tyranny,” wrote one Trucker fan annoyed by the war in Ukraine. “They are starting to twist the events by saying oh our suffering is somehow much less. NO IT IS NOT!”