What's new

The Official Welcome Back Rasp/Trout and Hopper/Taint Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take my word for it: he does, within the context specifically of board discipline and rules. Disagreements with moderators on gay marriage and similar topics can continue to be posted in the appropriate threads.

You're probably right, Eric, but I'll wait for Colton's official word on it. It doesn't really seem like the "backseat moderating" rule he is citing is designed to cover that. If it were, this rule, which immedately follows the backseat moderating rule, would seemingly never have been written:

Rules said:
Arguing with Moderators: Vehement arguing or abusive comments directed at moderators after having received an infraction may lead to an immediate additional infraction.

I've always kinda understood "backseat moderating" to be trying to act like you're a moderator yourself, by telling other posters what to do, or how to do it.

So, it's not a rule until after it is applied multiple times? Once? Because there is a relatively lax enforcement policy? I disagree. If it is a policy that, under the current process, can lead to warnings/infractions/banishment, it is most certainly a rule, even if one that most people will comply with naturally.

It's not a rule until it's a rule. Right now it's not a rule, so it's not a rule. Is that really so complicated? :p

You're probably right, Eric, but I'll wait for Colton's official word on it. It doesn't really seem like the "backseat moderating" rule he is citing is designed to cover that. If it were, this rule, which immedately follows the backseat moderating rule, would seemingly never have been written:

Rules said:
Arguing with Moderators: Vehement arguing or abusive comments directed at moderators after having received an infraction may lead to an immediate additional infraction.

I've always kinda understood "backseat moderating" to be trying to act like you're a moderator yourself, by telling other poster what to do, or how to do it.

Yes, you're right. I had in mind more of the "Arguing with moderators" rule than the "backseat moderating".

It's not a rule until it's a rule. Right now it's not a rule, so it's not a rule. Is that really so complicated? :p

So, should myself, Hopper, or anyone choose to use quotation marks instead of quote tags, even after we have been asked not to, there will be no warnings or infractions based on that alone?

So, should myself, Hopper, or anyone choose to use quotation marks instead of quote tags, even after we have been asked not to, there will be no warnings or infractions based on that alone?

If it falls under unreadable posting, why wouldn't it?

Depends whether you are doing it to troll, I suppose. That would necessarily be a judgment call of the moderators. I could easily see a situation where you, or Hopper, or someone else, would format their post in a completely bizarre way in order to thumb their noses at the moderators. That would likely result in a warning or infraction. On the other hand, if it was not a deliberate nose-thumbing, I doubt the moderators would call it trolling.

to shed some additional light on this saga, I'm sharing a few PM's that Hopper and I exchanged back in July, regarding rules, infractions and issues of that nature:

a PM sent by me to Hopper on 7/21/10
Hopper was wondering if it's possible to know which posts get infractions
moevillini said:
https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php/500-The-Random-Question-Thread?p=33209&viewfull=1#post33209

In answer to the above question, I certainly can't tell you that. Even on the old board where a user's warning count was shown, there was not an indication of the post that warranted the warning. I will tell you that there are far more posts reported than get infractions. The mods essentially have three choices for any report: Ignore, Warning, and Infraction.

For many reports, the vote is to ignore. This doesn't mean that every mod voted to ignore - I believe I mentioned that it varies, some posts will get three unanimous votes fairly quickly, others may get the entire range of votes and it may take a couple of days before the votes for any single option totals the three needed to close the report.

Also, reports are made by a wide range of posters - and some who "report' a post actually do very little posting themselves....
[NOTE: I've omitted the discussion about a couple of specific posts that had been reported]

Even though these RULES are from another site, it might be HELPFUL to you to review them and follow them because for the most part, I think they apply here as well. In particular, take note of #5) Stay on topic, do not be repetitive, limit your replies, use quotes correctly.
https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/faq.php?faq=il_rules_01#faq_il_rules_respectful

Also, the RealGM forum rules make some pretty specific points that would apply here as well:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=812773

And note that I made special mention of this:
In particular, take note of #5) Stay on topic, do not be repetitive, limit your replies, use quotes correctly.
https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/faq.php?faq=il_rules_01#faq_il_rules_respectful

Hopper and I had several private messages back and forth regarding these various issues. For the most part, the content of these messages was shared with the other mods so everyone had the same information and could work from the same base.

Depends whether you are doing it to troll, I suppose. That would necessarily be a judgment call of the moderators. I could easily see a situation where you, or Hopper, or someone else, would format their post in a completely bizarre way in order to thumb their noses at the moderators. That would likely result in a warning or infraction. On the other hand, if it was not a deliberate nose-thumbing, I doubt the moderators would call it trolling.

Thanks for that clarification, Colton. Could I ask one more question about "trolling?" The rule, as written, clearly limits what is considered to be trolling to DELIBERATE attempts to disrupt, etc.:

Rules said:
Trolling: Deliberate attempts to disrupt the usability of the boards will be considered trolling.

As I have understood some moderators in the past, this part of the rule is to be ignored, so that, in effect, anything a moderator doesn't like is "trolling," deliberate, or not. If I understood Mo correctly, at one point she said she had undertaken to have the rule rewritten, so as to eliminate any consideration of a poster's intent. Apparently the rule has not been rewritten, as of yet, anyway. Yet, from her comments, I get the feeling that she feels it has been, somehow. Can you clarify this situation?

Last edited:
HOPPER - The rules cannot explain every situation and contingency. They provide a guideline. That is part of the reason a warning may often be given for a first time offense - to clarify the rule in general, and/or to clarify how it applies to a particular situation.

In addition, as I stated in my post immediately above this last one of yours, I provided you with rules from other forums that would most likely apply as well on this forum. I advised you to review those rules and to follow them.

Thanks for that clarification, Colton. Could I ask one more question about "trolling?" The rule, as written, clearly limits what is considered to be trolling to DELIBERATE attempts to disrupt, etc.:

Rules said:
Trolling: Deliberate attempts to disrupt the usability of the boards will be considered trolling.

As I have understood some moderators in the past, this part of the rule is to be ignored, so that, in effect, anything a moderator doesn't like is "trolling," deliberate, or not. If I understood Mo correctly, at one point she said she had undertaken to have the rule rewritten, so as you eliminate any consideration of a poster's intent. Apparently the rule has not been rewritten, as of yet, anyway. Yet, from her comments, I get the feeling that she feels it has been, somehow. Can you clarify this situation?

At one point Moe did argue that the word "deliberate" should be taken out, so that it was less ambiguous. ("Deliberate" involves the moderators attempting to judge intent.) If I recall correctly not enough of the moderators felt strongly enough about her proposal for a change to be made. So yes, the moderators should judge whether something was deliberate or not, when thinking about issuing an infraction for trolling.

In addition, as I stated in my post immediately above this last one of yours, I provided you with rules from other forums that would most likely apply as well on this forum. I advised you to review those rules and to follow them.

Mo, although I appreciated your attempt to help, I didn't feel like it would do me any good to go around to various messages boards to see what THEIR rules were, at least if I was not planning on joining that group. My concern is with what the rules are HERE, not THERE.

Hopper said:
Mo, although I appreciated your attempt to help, I didn't feel like it would do me any good to go around to various messages boards to see what THEIR rules were, at least if I was not planning on joining that group. My concern is with what the rules are HERE, not THERE.
AS I STATED:
...it might be HELPFUL to you to review them and follow them because for the most part, I think they apply here as well. In particular, take note of #5) Stay on topic, do not be repetitive, limit your replies, use quotes correctly.

and I did say "I think they apply here as well" so that should have been a clue that you should try to follow them, or at least review them.

In addition, why is it that you seem to be the ONLY poster having such problems? The rules seem to be clear enough for the others.

I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you should write a blog, since you seem to have so much to say. You'd be in charge, and could make the rules. You could write whatever and as much as you wanted, use whatever format and slang you chose.

This whole thread is one giant troll.

Damn you for ruining yet another thread, Taint.

So yes, the moderators should judge whether something was deliberate or not, when thinking about issuing an infraction for trolling.

Thank you especially for that clarification, Colton. I don't mean to be presumptous, but do you mind if I request that mods be formally notified of the proper interpretation of this rule? Like I said, there seems to be some confusion about this. Also, I would like to "suggest" that if intention to disrupt is an issue, the mods could as least ask the poster about what he was thinking. Not that they have to believe him, but again, what might seem "obvious" to a moderator might not be so obvious if they actually informed themselves about what the poster was thinking, rather than assuming they know, without inquiry.

Thank you especially for that clarification, Colton. I don't mean to be presumptous, but do you mind if I request that mods be formally notified of the proper interpretation of this rule? Like I said, there seems to be some confusion about this. Also, I would like to "suggest" that if intention to disrupt is an issue, the mods could as least ask the poster about what he was thinking. Not that they have to believe him, but again, what might seem "obvious" to a moderator might not be so obvious if they actually informed themselves about what the poster was thinking, rather than assuming they know, without inquiry.

20070106-JakeIsSad-400.jpg

This whole thread is one giant troll.

Damn you for ruining yet another thread, Taint.

The one thing I really hate is when a poster finds a thread with their name in the title, and actually has the nerve to post it it.

Thank you for altering your signature, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.