What's new

The Ringer: Are The Utah Jazz Ready to Contend?

Oh, and check out Mudiay's jersey. Just sayin, I'm gettin a good feelin about this guy. Along with Mitchell, Conley and Bogey, Mudiay is a 4th guy who can score 30+ points on any given night.

I’ve been getting more intrigued by him the past 24 hours or so. It is kinda weird he quickly took a minimum deal.

To put this another way, DM is the only player other than Carmelo Anthony in something like 50 years to take 35 shots (only 31 points) without getting an assist. Not good company.

When DM chucks, Utah loses:

"
Utah Jazz
Bad Games
: Donovan Mitchell (8)
Record in Bad Games: 1-7 (.125)
Record in All Other Games: 49-25 (.662)

When Mitchell’s shot isn’t falling, he isn’t shy about forcing it. Mitchell holds the dubious honor of the most points in a bad game, when he got 32 points, took 35 shots (13-35 FG, 1-11 3PT) to get those 32 points, and the Jazz lost to the 76ers 113-107.

Mitchell is a lot like Westbrook when he’s at his worst, gunning his team clean out of games, and it’s why the Jazz were a sitting duck for the Rockets in the playoffs."

http://paceandspacehoops.com/how-much-do-high-volume-low-efficiency-shooters-hurt-nba-teams/

I know we all like DM but why in the world are people so blinded that they cannot see his inefficiency?

Go ahead and identify the Paul George or Kevin Durant on the Jazz who Donovan should have deferred to when those 5 minute long scoring droughts happened last year. If you are going to bring up Westbrook, compare apples to apples. I'm fairly certain that is Quinn Snyder didn't want him taking those shots, he wouldn't be. Quinn pulls players out of the game all the damn time for being stupid.

I’ve been getting more intrigued by him the past 24 hours or so. It is kinda weird he quickly took a minimum deal.

I mean, if he's your 7th or 8th man, the team is pretty deep. He just needs to evolve his game a little bit to play off the ball, similar to what Tyreke Evans did.

If we get to the point where Mudiay is getting enough minutes to be a difference maker, things have went very, very wrong to get us there.

To put this another way, DM is the only player other than Carmelo Anthony in something like 50 years to take 35 shots (only 31 points) without getting an assist. Not good company.

Kyrie did this too. Keep in mind, the Jazz coaches are telling Mitchell to take these shots. Otherwise, the Jazz might not have gotten a shot off at all.

If we get to the point where Mudiay is getting enough minutes to be a difference maker, things have went very, very wrong to get us there.
Or things are going right. He could crack the rotation without us sucking. He’s an Exum injury away from seeing regular floor time.

That, and/or Mudiay makes a leap and is worthy of a slot in the rotation (above someone else that would also be deserving).
(I’m not sure why so many people have such high hopes that Dante becomes good enough at playing basketball to actually deserve to be in the rotation and so few have similar hopes for a dude that can stay on the court and hasn’t had the benefit of our vaunted development program. On that note, I don’t think it’s purely a coincidence that Mudiay is physically similar to Dante in some key ways: They’re hedging their bet on Dante.)

(I’m not sure why so many people have such high hopes that Dante becomes good enough at playing basketball to actually deserve to be in the rotation and so few have similar hopes for a dude that can stay on the court and hasn’t had the benefit of our vaunted development program. On that note, I don’t think it’s purely a coincidence that Mudiay is physically similar to Dante in some key ways: They’re hedging their bet on Dante.)
I think it is more likely they like the physical tools of Mudiay and think he can be a good player for similar reasons they like Exums physical tools and think he will be a very good player. I dont think it has anything to do with thinking he will replace Exum. They just think he has potential. We value length, athleticism, and positional versatility. The ability to switch on defense is big for our team. These arent the only two on the roster that fit that.

Love the pickups. No question that we're an improved team. Still the "West is the Best" as Jim Morrison said. And I worry about our lack of size in the starting backcourt. Also, Snyder has yet to prove to me that he can really be clutch under pressure. I mean, he's had a free pass until now, and now we're pushing all in. And yet, like I say, I love the acquisitions - every last one.

When DM chucks, Utah loses:

"
Utah Jazz
Bad Games
: Donovan Mitchell (8)
Record in Bad Games: 1-7 (.125)
Record in All Other Games: 49-25 (.662)

When Mitchell’s shot isn’t falling, he isn’t shy about forcing it. Mitchell holds the dubious honor of the most points in a bad game, when he got 32 points, took 35 shots (13-35 FG, 1-11 3PT) to get those 32 points, and the Jazz lost to the 76ers 113-107.

Mitchell is a lot like Westbrook when he’s at his worst, gunning his team clean out of games, and it’s why the Jazz were a sitting duck for the Rockets in the playoffs."

http://paceandspacehoops.com/how-much-do-high-volume-low-efficiency-shooters-hurt-nba-teams/

I know we all like DM but why in the world are people so blinded that they cannot see his inefficiency?

He was Utah's primary offensive player and defenses could easily target him. As a rookie and sophomore. He was asked to shoot as often as he could. His numbers don't exist in a vacuum.

He was Utah's primary offensive player and defenses could easily target him. As a rookie and sophomore. He was asked to shoot as often as he could. His numbers don't exist in a vacuum.

I agree with this. DM was flat given carte blanche to get after it because he was the only player who could reasonably be expected to create his own shot. Defenses could zone in on that. Now they cannot. As a result, I genuinely don't expect DM to put up 35 shots in a game anymore unless the circumstances were extraordinary.

I mean, if he's your 7th or 8th man, the team is pretty deep. He just needs to evolve his game a little bit to play off the ball, similar to what Tyreke Evans did.

If he your 7th o 8th man your team isnt deep at all. It means you have a roster with 7 or 8 borderline at best NBA players.

If he your 7th o 8th man your team isnt deep at all. It means you have a roster with 7 or 8 borderline at best NBA players.
Luckily he isn't our 7th or 8th man.
Conley
Mitchell
Bojan
Green
Gobert
Jingles
Royce
Davis
Niang

Then maybe mudiay. So at best he is our 10th man. Along with Bradley, the 2nd rounders, Howard, kidd, and Goss he will be a garbage time player.

I know you weren't arguing that he is a 7th or 8th man. I was just helping to prove why.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I’m not convinced Mudiay is just a garbage time player. Now, I’m not suggesting he’s a 25 mpg guy, or even 20 mpg, but dude just scored 15 ppg and could have landed on a team offering more time and a hell of a lot more money. I have a very hard time believing he came on a one-year minimum deal (being paid less than he ever has) just to string up a lot of DNPs. He didn’t sign a minimum deal for 7 mpg and Quin’s cool 3 hour practices. The 3 hour practices may be good but they’re not that good.

Last edited: