What's new

The Rotation

NUMBERICA

2022 Award Winner
When Conley returns, I think this is the way to go. This is the template for quarters 1 and 3, and reversed for quarters 2 and 4. Situational variables such as hot-handedness, matchups, foul-trouble, etc would alter this in a real-game setting, especially in the 4th quarter.

Minutes 0:00-~4:59:
-Conley
-Mitchell
-Ingles
-Bojan
-Gobert

Minutes ~5:00-5:59:
-Mitchell
-Ingles
-Bojan
-O'Neale
-Gobert

Minutes ~6:00-7:59:
-Mitchell
-Clarkson
-Bojan
-O'Neale
-Gobert

Minutes ~8:00-8:59:
-Mitchell
-Clarkson
-Bojan
-O'Neale
-?

Minutes ~9:00-12:00
-Conley
-Clarkson
-O'Neale
-Hopefully not Niang, but probably is. Hopefully some G-Leaguers get a shot and/or a real NBA player is acquired.
-Hopefully not Davis, Bradley would be better. Hopefully some G-Leaguers get a shot and/or a real NBA player is acquired.

Minutes distribution:
Mitchell <36
Gobert ~32
Bojan ~32
Conley ~30
O'Neale ~28
Ingles ~24*
Clarkson ~24*
(Mudiay ?)

We can cover about 210 minutes of the 240 played in a game with good NBA players. We have about 30 minutes up for grabs because Davis, Bradley, and Niang are simply not rotation players, so we need to get that figured out. In the meantime, I guess you could play Mudiay as a SF just to fill minutes, although Niang probably works better in that bench unit.

If a playoff series goes the way it so often has in recent years where traditional 5s are nearly unplayable, the Jazz don't have a single answer for how to fill that right now.

TLDR; Conley plays the first five minutes then sits, then comes back in to relieve Mitchell. And we don't have any NBA bigs besides Rudy.

Last edited:
I started typing mine out but it became too tedious. Sub both Conley and Mitchell early for Clarkson and Royce.

When Conley returns, I think this is the way to go. This is the template for quarters 1 and 3, and reversed for quarters 2 and 4. Situational variables such as hot-handedness, matchups, foul-trouble, etc would alter this in a real-game setting, especially in the 4th quarter.

Minutes 0:00-~4:59:
-Conley
-Mitchell
-Ingles
-Bojan
-Gobert

Minutes ~5:00-5:59:
-Mitchell
-Ingles
-Bojan
-O'Neale
-Gobert

Minutes ~6:00-7:59:
-Mitchell
-Clarkson
-Bojan
-O'Neale
-Gobert

Minutes ~8:00-8:59:
-Mitchell
-Clarkson
-Bojan
-O'Neale
-Gobert

Minutes ~9:00-12:00
-Conley
-Clarkson
-O'Neale
-Hopefully not Niang, but probably is. Hopefully some G-Leaguers get a shot and/or a real NBA player is acquired.
-Hopefully not Davis, Bradley would be better. Hopefully some G-Leaguers get a shot and/or a real NBA player is acquired.

Minutes distribution:
Mitchell <36
Gobert ~32
Bojan ~32
Conley ~30
O'Neale ~28
Ingles ~24*
Clarkson ~24*
(Mudiay ?)

We can cover about 210 minutes of the 240 played in a game with good NBA players. We have about 30 minutes up for grabs because Davis, Bradley, and Niang are simply not rotation players, so we need to get that figured out. In the meantime, I guess you could play Mudiay as a SF just to fill minutes, although Niang probably works better in that bench unit.

If a playoff series goes the way it so often has in recent years where traditional 5s are nearly unplayable, the Jazz don't have a single answer for how to fill that right now.

TLDR; Conley plays the first five minutes then sits, then comes back in to relieve Mitchell. And we don't have any NBA bigs besides Rudy.

This is probably close to what I do... I think Ingles logs more minutes than the 24ish. I think Niang or Mudiay may drop out of the rotation or one of them gets like less than 8 minutes a night.

Backup center will be the issue to solve. I would keep my eye on Marvin Williams... He plays PF and C these days in a stretch mold and would be awesome if he got bought out. Charlotte might be in the playoff jog in the EC and they also may find a team that can match salary and give them a couple seconds so may not happen.

There may be a backup center we can get either in buyout or trade. If Detroit thinks Christian Wood will bail after this season that'd be a guy I'd love to make a move for. To have a backup center issue really sucks seeing as we have allocated a first round pick and our only cap exception this year to having a solid option... I think Morgan should get some run there soon. He might not be ready, but how much worse could he honestly be.

Looks pretty good although I’d like to see Mitchell play less. His first two seasons he averaged 33 mins per game. Right now he’s averaging 35. And you’re advocating right now for 36+. Which imo isn’t the optimal.

Shouldn’t a more talented team and a more efficient Mitchell actually lower his amount of mins? I’d like to save our guys for a long playoff run.

I’d like to see him in that 32-35 min range. Just to compare, Greek Freak averaged 32 mins last year and only exceeded the 33 min threshold once, the 2017 season (35 mins).

Last edited:
This is probably close to what I do... I think Ingles logs more minutes than the 24ish. I think Niang or Mudiay may drop out of the rotation or one of them gets like less than 8 minutes a night.

Backup center will be the issue to solve. I would keep my eye on Marvin Williams... He plays PF and C these days in a stretch mold and would be awesome if he got bought out. Charlotte might be in the playoff jog in the EC and they also may find a team that can match salary and give them a couple seconds so may not happen.

There may be a backup center we can get either in buyout or trade. If Detroit thinks Christian Wood will bail after this season that'd be a guy I'd love to make a move for. To have a backup center issue really sucks seeing as we have allocated a first round pick and our only cap exception this year to having a solid option... I think Morgan should get some run there soon. He might not be ready, but how much worse could he honestly be.
Agreed.

I honestly think Tristen Thompson hits the buyout market before Marvin does given that no one is salary matching on Tristen Thompson when they could for Iggy and Cleveland is playing for nothing.

Agreed.

I honestly think Tristen Thompson hits the buyout market before Marvin does given that no one is salary matching on Tristen Thompson when they could for Iggy and Cleveland is playing for nothing.

TT going to the Clips or Lakers makes a lot more sense for him than we do unfortunately.

Agreed.

TT going to the Clips or Lakers makes a lot more sense for him than we do unfortunately.

Agree and agree... TT is too Kardasian for Utah and the LA teams would be all over this. I think he may stay put and extend in Cleveland... and then do the Love and ask out. It's his best chance to get a big contract.

Agree and agree... TT is too Kardasian for Utah and the LA teams would be all over this. I think he may stay put and extend in Cleveland... and then do the Love and ask out. It's his best chance to get a big contract.
The argument that he doesn't is that he hardly plays in either situation.

The argument that he doesn't is that he hardly plays in either situation.
True... maybe we are the best "showcase" opportunity. I think the Lakers may end up needing to replace one of Dwight/JaVale by year end. Not sure either guy is one you want to rely on in the playoffs and TT has done that.

True... maybe we are the best "showcase" opportunity. I think the Lakers may end up needing to replace one of Dwight/JaVale by year end. Not sure either guy is one you want to rely on in the playoffs and TT has done that.
Would we be interested in Lakers Dwight Howard refuse? I'd have a hard time believing they would look to jettison him. Wasn't he supposed to be having a good year?

I'm advocating for less than 36 minutes. That's the ceiling (<).

you're correct. I misread what you wrote. Lol

I was curious how many stars play the type of mins Jingles, Mitchell, and Gobert have been playing. The list is incredibly small. Even the top players aren’t playing 35+ mins. Bigs especially. We desperately need to find a backup for Gobert.

Would we be interested in Lakers Dwight Howard refuse? I'd have a hard time believing they would look to jettison him. Wasn't he supposed to be having a good year?

He's good but has had injury issues and is prone to going Dwight... so you never know...

I'm not interested in Dwight, but if he was released (I don't think he would be) and it was him or Ed/Bradley... then sign me up for some Dwight Howard I guess.

He's good but has had injury issues and is prone to going Dwight... so you never know...

I'm not interested in Dwight, but if he was released (I don't think he would be) and it was him or Ed/Bradley... then sign me up for some Dwight Howard I guess.

Why would the Lakers dump Dwight? Isn’t he one of their best bench players?

Why would the Lakers dump Dwight? Isn’t he one of their best bench players?

They might not dump him... but he could be hurt when TT is available... McGee might get dumped and he's traditionally missed a handful of games per year too...

I think there is a small chance they have an opening is all I'm saying. Dwight has been good and if healthy they would keep him... just saying he's not a guy you rely on 100%.

They might not dump him... but he could be hurt when TT is available... McGee might get dumped and he's traditionally missed a handful of games per year too...

I think there is a small chance they have an opening is all I'm saying. Dwight has been good and if healthy they would keep him... just saying he's not a guy you rely on 100%.

I think Dwight the player would be awesome as a backup. He’d set strong screens, rebound, and be a big threat for lobs. Dwight the player would be a perfect fit. Favors might be the only better fit in the entire league.

I can’t think of a worse place for Dwight the person to be at. He and Jimmy Butler might be the most cancerous people in the entire league. Hmmm.

Not sure why they would stop using the rotation (in regards to Mitchell only) they have now with Mitchell getting 3 different stints, the first being an early sub out.

Marvin Williams can not play backup C for the Jazz.