What's new

The Wellness topic.......

If you figure out the whole sleep thing, let me know the secret (I can't sleep worth a ****)

I always heard over training is a myth. How do Olympic level athletes, professional sportsman, and farmers able to work for so many hours in a day.

I've also heard that the body needs only 4-6 hours of sleep to function fully.

I always heard over training is a myth.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a myth, but I would be concerned that it could just be a convenient diagnosis for a doc that can't figure out anything else. As for sleep, 4-6 hours might be ok for some adults, but I doubt it's true for most. I've had problems with insomnia my entire life, and on 5 hours sleep, I still feel fuzzy all day, unless it's one day every once in a while, instead of every day. 5 hours every day leaves me feeling sick. If I'm sleeping normally, and I have one night of 5 hours, then I'm fine.

How old are you? I imagine age can take a part in overexertion. If you're a 50 year old trying to run 7 miles a day, then I'd be saying no duh.

Upper 20's. You have to understand I would do things like wake up and go run 10-12 miles, hundreds of pushups, pullups, situps, then I would jump on a longboard and go to the lake around lunch time....which is probably another 15 miles round trip from where I live. And there I would go exploring the lakeside, which was more wear. Then I'd go play basketball at night. Then I'd wake up and run again. I probably did something similar that twice a week....and the running/pushup/situps every day. It was just murder on my legs. Pure stupidity. I wasn't trying to be uber fit/dedicated or anything.....I just enjoyed doing those things.

You must be yoked.

So I got tabbed with "overtraining syndrome" by my doc a few days ago after checking out everything else. Luckily. I thought I had cancer or diabetes or something. I haven't been able to run a mile in a few months now without almost collapsing....as my body just keeps progressively getting more broken down. My sleep has been deteriorating lately so I finally gave in to going to a doc. A year ago at this time I could've run all day. I don't think I ever bothered taking a rest day unless I came back from a grueling multi-day hike or something. Had a pretty solid diet. And I had good sleep, albeit probably 5 or 6 hours average....which isn't enough if you're active....but at least it was sleep.

Anyway, I've been told to basically to do nothing that's exerting at all for the next few months if I want to recover. Not even snowboarding(which I'll probably do any a few times anyway). So I'm just going to dive heavy into body physiology,psychology, diet, learn how to sleep better than ever, get a bunch of massages, learn to stretch like a girl, etc. in the meantime. ....I don't know. I'll probably just go completely nuts in reality.

You guys have anything you swear by? Any health related books you've read that you thought were over the top? Supplements? Self colonics? Essential Oils?
If you are addicted to working out, like me for the last a few years, but want to abide by the doctor's rules, stretching/yoga is the way to go in my opinion. It's not only definitely hard enough to make you feel working out, but it's also one of the best ways of active resting. It really tires you for number of reasons while doing it but it does not exhaust you and doesn't chip anything away from your resting effectiveness.

And the best thing with stretching is that you can combine it with meditation(as what yoga is eventually) and create your own style with countless moves you can select from. For example I do not like Yoga's principles, philosophy and stupid terms so I have my own system that I build over years with my own favorite moves and meditation techniques.

I always heard over training is a myth. How do Olympic level athletes, professional sportsman, and farmers able to work for so many hours in a day.

I think, people confuses and mixes up things when the topic is over-training. Of course there is a limit for everyone for working(over-working surely exist as well and it might be Rodgers' case, I can't know), because you cannot work non-stop obviously. But most of the time, the over-training term/notion is mostly about over-loading.

You CAN work or do a sport that your body adopted to do over time, and you can do it almost restless for very long periods. For instance, I have a letter friend who is a semi-pro tennis player, he has two or three practices a day 5 days of the week except the games and it sums up to about 5-8 hours of phsycal training for each day. I also know how many basketball players practice, especially some of the kids I'm following in youth basketball. They have very very busy training schedules as well. Although I find it amazing, no one thinks that it is over-training at all.

When someone tries to increase his capacity however in any areas, such as muscle strength, muscle volume, muscle endurance, condition level, explosiveness etc they have to force their limits and work through heavy loads and sometimes even over-loading which basically means to destroy their own body, but only to force it to recover for the better and adopt for the more. In this case the rest is absolutely essential and indispensable. If you do not rest you will do nothing but continue to destroy your body without giving it a chance to recover and adopt.

So I got tabbed with "overtraining syndrome" by my doc a few days ago after checking out everything else. Luckily. I thought I had cancer or diabetes or something. I haven't been able to run a mile in a few months now without almost collapsing....as my body just keeps progressively getting more broken down. My sleep has been deteriorating lately so I finally gave in to going to a doc. A year ago at this time I could've run all day. I don't think I ever bothered taking a rest day unless I came back from a grueling multi-day hike or something. Had a pretty solid diet. And I had good sleep, albeit probably 5 or 6 hours average....which isn't enough if you're active....but at least it was sleep.

Anyway, I've been told to basically to do nothing that's overly exerting at all for the next few months if I want to recover. Not even snowboarding(which I'll probably do any a few times anyway). So I'm just going to dive heavy into body physiology,psychology, diet, learn how to sleep better than ever, get a bunch of massages, learn to stretch like a girl, etc. in the meantime. ....I don't know. I'll probably just go completely nuts in reality.

You guys have anything you swear by? Any health related books you've read that you thought were over the top? Supplements? Self colonics? Essential Oils?

1 word: moderation.

lots these health conscious people do 1 thing wrong: lack of moderation.

from the diets to training. lots just go overboard with it

I've always gone by the 7-8 hours normally stated plus a minute for each minute that you were actively exercising. Not that I've ever done that of course.....but it sounds like the perfect amount if you can make it happen.

One easy thing that's really brilliant when you are able and recovering like a normal human being........the 30 jumping jacks/5 pushups every hour rule if you had been sedentary for that previous hour. It helps a ton with energy/blood flow/recovery.

One easy thing that's really brilliant when you are able and recovering like a normal human being........the 30 jumping jacks/5 pushups every hour rule if you had been sedentary for that previous hour. It helps a ton with energy/blood flow/recovery.

Just did it, I feel already better. Thanks.

I was sitting for the last couple hours browsing the internet while waiting for the game.

I would provide you with a plethora of citations that prove what you're saying isn't true, but really, science isn't even needed here, just a bit of common sense. For example, I'm a complete zombie on 4 hours of sleep. I have a mentally demanding job, and my performance suffers considerably if I don't get at least 6 hours. There was a time in my life where ever changing work schedule forced me to live on 4-5 hours of sleep for a few months, and It got to the point where every time I drove my car, I almost got into an accident. And I became a very different and a very unpleasant person.

Now I'm sure some people can function for prolonged periods of 5 hours of sleep, but that is far from normal. I'm also willing to bet than even those people who can handle limited amount of sleep are in fact hurting themselves considerably over the long run.

Interesting supplement: bee pollen

That looks interesting. What's your litmus test for something working/not working for you? Because if I got a blood test....that shows I'm lacking Iron and I go buy an Iron supplement.....it's a great buy. Things would noticeably be different once I started taking it. How do I gauge Bee Pollen? Just like my multivitamins.....I have no idea if they are doing anything. Chia seeds? Same thing.

My litmus test? How I feel. You seem like you know your body and if you feel great as a result, keep using it.

Also, I'd say to ignore your doctor. Taking months off is absolutely ludicrous imo. 2-4 weeks, sure. But months just seems silly.

I already attempted to take 30 days off previously before ever consulting a doc when I self diagnosed the issue, made it to 20, got antsy, worked out, and there wasn't much improvement. My legs were done. I was feeling really good in a general sense however after that 20 days. No heavyness in the legs or anything so I think there was some healing starting up. Mental clarity was as high as ever. Sleeping well. That's why I'm 100% accepting of the protocol right now. Because it really felt like I just didn't give it enough time. And those 20 days I didn't do anything special other than not work out. And I probably ate as bad as I ever have in my life because I'm not good at eating well when I'm not able to be as active as I would like. But if I sharpen that up and do some other things along with it....I should be good.

I probably don't have a full appreciation for how you feel. What was the exact diagnosis again?

Over-training is very real. It is an issue that many high end athletes deal with. Usually over-training is just backing off the amount you are lifting for a few days or taking time off to recover. If it gets bad enough for a long period of time it can take awhile to recover from. The reason Olympic athletes and other professional athletes can train so much is because they have worked up to it and are great physical condition. There are also genetic factors to the amount you can exercise or exert yourself. The other way that high end athletes deal with over-training is how they program their workouts. If you are a regular weight lifter you must be on some sort of periodization program to keep improving and to prevent over-training. You must get good food in you, plenty of sleep.

Taking months off from any exercise is not the answer to over-training. I would highly recommend reading articles about it from reputable sources. Changing up your routine after you have backed off and rested for a few days is much more likely to help you. Becoming inactive for months will not help you feel better, you will feel worse. Diet is a huge part of over-training as well. Make sure you are getting the right amount of carbs, fats and protein and all your vitamins and minerals from natural good sources. Eating healthy, getting plenty of sleep, changing up your workout routine is the key.

Taking months off from any exercise is not the answer to over-training. I would highly recommend reading articles about it from reputable sources. Changing up your routine after you have backed off and rested for a few days is much more likely to help you.

That sounds like good advice for average overtraining, but it doesn't apply if you've overdone it for long periods of time. If you overtrain for days, you'll be back in days. Weeks, weeks. Months, months. Years, years. Basically whenever you can remember your performance declining and didn't rest....that's approximately how long it's going to take you to get back. And there is no switching up routines. You can't do anything impactful. Light swimming pool sessions are about as hardcore as you can get. You're 90 years old for however long it takes you to get back.