What's new

The Wellness topic.......

So I got tabbed with "overtraining syndrome" by my doc a few days ago after checking out everything else. Luckily. I thought I had cancer or diabetes or something. I haven't been able to run a mile in a few months now without almost collapsing....as my body just keeps progressively getting more broken down. My sleep has been deteriorating lately so I finally gave in to going to a doc. A year ago at this time I could've run all day. I don't think I ever bothered taking a rest day unless I came back from a grueling multi-day hike or something. Had a pretty solid diet. And I had good sleep, albeit probably 5 or 6 hours average....which isn't enough if you're active....but at least it was sleep.

Anyway, I've been told to basically to do nothing that's overly exerting at all for the next few months if I want to recover. Not even snowboarding(which I'll probably do any a few times anyway). So I'm just going to dive heavy into body physiology,psychology, diet, learn how to sleep better than ever, get a bunch of massages, learn to stretch like a girl, etc. in the meantime. ....I don't know. I'll probably just go completely nuts in reality.

You guys have anything you swear by? Any health related books you've read that you thought were over the top? Supplements? Self colonics? Essential Oils?

Body needs to recover, dude. It's that simple. Without the rest, your body will break down and it won't be a matter of if it'll be a matter of when as you found out. I've added stretching and yoga to my regiment, along with eating well and getting good sleep. Yoga has helped immensely with my lower back.

I would provide you with a plethora of citations that prove what you're saying isn't true, but really, science isn't even needed here, just a bit of common sense. For example, I'm a complete zombie on 4 hours of sleep. I have a mentally demanding job, and my performance suffers considerably if I don't get at least 6 hours. There was a time in my life where ever changing work schedule forced me to live on 4-5 hours of sleep for a few months, and It got to the point where every time I drove my car, I almost got into an accident. And I became a very different and a very unpleasant person.

Now I'm sure some people can function for prolonged periods of 5 hours of sleep, but that is far from normal. I'm also willing to bet than even those people who can handle limited amount of sleep are in fact hurting themselves considerably over the long run.

By 4-6 hours I meant some people need as little as 4 and some people need as little as 6 (but 6 is the maximum amount most people need to function fully). There is this really great Arnold Schwarzenegger quote were he says with 6 hours of sleep we get 18 hours a day to be productive. If you sleep more than 6 hours, he recommends to sleep faster.

Sorry you're not more clutch Duck Rodgers. That's got to suck.

Body needs to recover, dude. It's that simple. Without the rest, your body will break down and it won't be a matter of if it'll be a matter of when as you found out. I've added stretching and yoga to my regiment, along with eating well and getting good sleep. Yoga has helped immensely with my lower back.

Yup. It would nice to have a bone protruding the skin or be wrapped in a body cast or something though so I could be like....this is why I bailed on my rec basketball team that I agreed to play on two weeks ago, one week later, instead of getting their texts telling me to take some Creatine and everything will be great. And it would easier for me to accept mentally. Oh well, I'm still healthy enough that I should be able to do things like date after this week, so I'll just put the emphasis on that type of stuff and let it ride. Going to Yoga classes could definitely help in that regard too along with any other benefits.

By 4-6 hours I meant some people need as little as 4 and some people need as little as 6 (but 6 is the maximum amount most people need to function fully). There is this really great Arnold Schwarzenegger quote were he says with 6 hours of sleep we get 18 hours a day to be productive. If you sleep more than 6 hours, he recommends to sleep faster.

There are guys that can mediate for a few hours and don't even sleep much beyond that too and supposedly function normally. I don't think those are the most active of people though. Personally, I want to sleep 8 hours. 16 hour days are plenty long for me.

So I got tabbed with "overtraining syndrome" by my doc a few days ago after checking out everything else. Luckily. I thought I had cancer or diabetes or something. I haven't been able to run a mile in a few months now without almost collapsing....as my body just keeps progressively getting more broken down. My sleep has been deteriorating lately so I finally gave in to going to a doc. A year ago at this time I could've run all day. I don't think I ever bothered taking a rest day unless I came back from a grueling multi-day hike or something. Had a pretty solid diet. And I had good sleep, albeit probably 5 or 6 hours average....which isn't enough if you're active....but at least it was sleep.

Anyway, I've been told to basically to do nothing that's overly exerting at all for the next few months if I want to recover. Not even snowboarding(which I'll probably do any a few times anyway). So I'm just going to dive heavy into body physiology,psychology, diet, learn how to sleep better than ever, get a bunch of massages, learn to stretch like a girl, etc. in the meantime. ....I don't know. I'll probably just go completely nuts in reality.

You guys have anything you swear by? Any health related books you've read that you thought were over the top? Supplements? Self colonics? Essential Oils?

I've had back problems for the last two years. It all started when I messed up both of my knees because my I started overcompensating and aligning differently. It was pretty much hell. It didn't really matter if I was standing, sitting, walking, sleeping, I was in some sort of pain. I went to the doc about a month ago (I've gone before and to a chiropractor and they both did nothing to help me) and he told me to stop lifting so I did. For the first time in 2 years, my back doesn't hurt 24/7. It probably helps that I'm not fat and overweight anymore. I'm at a good 205, down from 240 (I weighed that in May mind you.) I'm eating pretty well and definitely in smaller portions. It feels wrong not lifting or going to the gym, but I feel great - so my two cents is take some time off and see what it does.
I can't really do cardio because of my knees, but I've gotten really into volleyball the past couple of years. I wished I started playing this when I was younger, but even so, I can play with some really high level players and they think I've played my whole life. Unfortunately, I broke my foot playing in Huntington Beach a few weeks ago so that blows. I hate being a glasshouse but it is what it is. I plan on starting to lift again come December. I'm going to lift low weight and high reps for a while and see if it does anything to my back.

I've had back problems for the last two years. It all started when I messed up both of my knees because my I started overcompensating and aligning differently. It was pretty much hell. It didn't really matter if I was standing, sitting, walking, sleeping, I was in some sort of pain. I went to the doc about a month ago (I've gone before and to a chiropractor and they both did nothing to help me) and he told me to stop lifting so I did. For the first time in 2 years, my back doesn't hurt 24/7. It probably helps that I'm not fat and overweight anymore. I'm at a good 205, down from 240 (I weighed that in May mind you.) I'm eating pretty well and definitely in smaller portions. It feels wrong not lifting or going to the gym, but I feel great - so my two cents is take some time off and see what it does.
I can't really do cardio because of my knees, but I've gotten really into volleyball the past couple of years. I wished I started playing this when I was younger, but even so, I can play with some really high level players and they think I've played my whole life. Unfortunately, I broke my foot playing in Huntington Beach a few weeks ago so that blows. I hate being a glasshouse but it is what it is. I plan on starting to lift again come December. I'm going to lift low weight and high reps for a while and see if it does anything to my back.

Pilates. srs. Totally changed my alignment. Get a good trainer.

photo_06_hires.jpg

Smoke a bowl 1-2 hours before you want to go to sleep. Guarantee you will get that 8 hours rest you need if you blaze up at night.

Smoke a bowl 1-2 hours before you want to go to sleep. Guarantee you will get that 8 hours rest you need if you blaze up at night.

note: get an Indica strain if you want to sleep. Don't get Sativa.

Yup. It would nice to have a bone protruding the skin or be wrapped in a body cast or something though so I could be like....this is why I bailed on my rec basketball team that I agreed to play on two weeks ago, one week later, instead of getting their texts telling me to take some Creatine and everything will be great. And it would easier for me to accept mentally. Oh well, I'm still healthy enough that I should be able to do things like date after this week, so I'll just put the emphasis on that type of stuff and let it ride. Going to Yoga classes could definitely help in that regard too along with any other benefits.

You sound like your pretty ****ing athletic. I think Yoga can only do wonders both in physicality and mentally. I mean, the deep stretches alone will make it worth it. And the great thing about it is that you can do it in the privacy of your own home and don't need to go anywhere for it.

note: get an Indica strain if you want to sleep. Don't get Sativa.

True, that will help.

Marijuana is really the ultimate sleep medication. Can't believe people pay $$$ for prescription sleep pills only to become wildly dependent on them.

True, that will help.

Marijuana is really the ultimate sleep medication. Can't believe people pay $$$ for prescription sleep pills only to become wildly dependent on them.

True. I support it's use. But if you need an aid to get to sleep something deeper is going on and I think one has to do their due diligence in finding what issues they might have.

You sound like your pretty ****ing athletic. I think Yoga can only do wonders both in physicality and mentally. I mean, the deep stretches alone will make it worth it. And the great thing about it is that you can do it in the privacy of your own home and don't need to go anywhere for it.

IAWTP.