What's new

The Wheel of Time (Amazon)

Well, Episode 5 was a bit of a bummer, what with funerals and all. But the Perrin thing starting to come to fruition is kinda cool.
Hearing Episode 6 is going to be a barn burner. So 5 was probably a big setup episode.
I liked episode 5. But it was definitely slower-paced, and more emotionally driven.

Well, Episode 5 was a bit of a bummer, what with funerals and all. But the Perrin thing starting to come to fruition is kinda cool.
Hearing Episode 6 is going to be a barn burner. So 5 was probably a big setup episode.

Ya i just finished episode 5 and i think it was the worst one yet

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I had one thing that was bugging me about the episode. Since it might be a spoiler I'm going to put it in a spoiler box.

Why do the magic ladies let the dudes in white just chill right outside their city? Those dudes straight up hunt down the women and murder them, so if they are out patrolling right next to magic ladies headquarters shouldn't they go out there and **** them up?

If you can't tell I don't have the various names of things down and I doubt I ever will. Never really been my thing to pay much attention to that sort of stuff in fiction.

I've never read the books but I've heard of them. Based on this thread I decided to watch these first 5 episodes. I give it a solid meh. It's okay and watchable, nothing real special so far but it might progress. Compared to GOT it's way behind after 5 episodes. It's pretty cheesy and whoever wrote this has some series kinks they are trying to get out. But the world they have created is somewhat interesting and I can see some appeal. I would give it a 6 out of 10 so far. I wouldn't put it in any top 10 sci Fi series by any stretch. But that could change I suppose.

Last edited:
I had one thing that was bugging me about the episode. Since it might be a spoiler I'm going to put it in a spoiler box.

Why do the magic ladies let the dudes in white just chill right outside their city? Those dudes straight up hunt down the women and murder them, so if they are out patrolling right next to magic ladies headquarters shouldn't they go out there and **** them up?

If you can't tell I don't have the various names of things down and I doubt I ever will. Never really been my thing to pay much attention to that sort of stuff in fiction.
The three oaths prevent them from doing this

And how'd you do that fuzzy text thing? That was badass. Is that like an Aes Sedai trick?

I don't want to ruin the spoiler but if your greatest enemy could be destroyed and you don't do it because you said, nah I'm not destroying my greatest enemy, then you are dumb.

I think he is saying that the 3 oaths are dumb

Well I don't know the specific oaths, but see my previous post. Even Batman recognizes when he has to end someone for real. I guess it's the argument of integrity vs practicality. It's also, imo, an artificial way to keep a villain in the mix for sake of fabricated conflict that could obviously and often relatively easily be taken out.

GOT got this right. The red wedding. You have a chance to remove a mortal enemy, you just ****ing do it. Otherwise you may as well plan on burying a lot of innocent people along the way while you hide behind "mah oaths".

It's a trope I'm not a fan of in fantasy.

Well I don't know the specific oaths, but see my previous post. Even Batman recognizes when he has to end someone for real. I guess it's the argument of integrity vs practicality. It's also, imo, an artificial way to keep a villain in the mix for sake of fabricated conflict that could obviously and often relatively easily be taken out.

GOT got this right. The red wedding. You have a chance to remove a mortal enemy, you just ****ing do it. Otherwise you may as well plan on burying a lot of innocent people along the way while you hide behind "mah oaths".

The three oaths are (as copied from a Wiki):
  1. To speak no word that is not true
  2. To make no weapon with which one man may kill another
  3. Never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme defense of her life, the life of her Warder, or another Aes Sedai
Keep in mind these oaths were agreed upon and made for the good of the world as a whole, as their power was seen as a threat to the world and the Aes Sedai adopted them to help the world feel safer, etc. But… yes, they suck. The intricacies of the 3 oaths and what they mean is a major plot architectural element throughout the series.

And as it relates to Batman… Aes Sedai are not seen as vigilantes, sadly. They can’t get away with doing stuff like that.

I’m not spoiling anything, but there will be plenty of pivotal and bloody moments like the “Red Wedding” later on down the road, trust me.

3. Never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme defense of her life, the life of her Warder, or another Aes Sedai
Keep in mind these oaths were agreed upon and made for the good of the world as a whole, as their power was seen as a threat to the world and the Aes Sedai adopted them to help the world feel safer, etc. But… yes, they suck. The intricacies of the 3 oaths and what they mean is a major plot architectural element throughout the series.

And as it relates to Batman… Aes Sedai are not seen as vigilantes, sadly. They can’t get away with doing stuff like that.

I’m not spoiling anything, but there will be plenty of pivotal and bloody moments like the “Red Wedding” later on down the road, trust me.
Well they could pull a Kyle Rittenhouse and all walk right out the front gate and into the crowd of dudes in white and then use the One Power in the last extreme defense of their life since those dudes will try to kill them.

I think he is saying that the 3 oaths are dumb

I understand that. I wanted him to elaborate because I suspected he was missing information. His response confirmed that.

In the books, the 3 oaths aren't something that the Aes Sedai are voluntarily following. It is literally impossible for them to break them. Moiraine explicitly states this in episode 2 when talking to Egwene.

I understand that. I wanted him to elaborate because I suspected he was missing information. His response confirmed that.

In the books, the 3 oaths aren't something that the Aes Sedai are voluntarily following. It is literally impossible for them to break them. Moiraine explicitly states this in episode 2 when talking to Egwene.
I didn't follow all the dialogue because I was getting bored, so thank you for filling this out for me. I didn't catch that.

Good post. Thanks

I thought episode 5 was the worst one yet but i still liked it wuite a bit. I really enjoy the show and cant wait for the next episode.
Fwiw i thought I wouldn’t like it and have been pleasantly surprised