What's new

The Wheel of Time (Amazon)

The three oaths are (as copied from a Wiki):
  1. To speak no word that is not true
  2. To make no weapon with which one man may kill another
  3. Never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme defense of her life, the life of her Warder, or another Aes Sedai
Keep in mind these oaths were agreed upon and made for the good of the world as a whole, as their power was seen as a threat to the world and the Aes Sedai adopted them to help the world feel safer, etc. But… yes, they suck. The intricacies of the 3 oaths and what they mean is a major plot architectural element throughout the series.

And as it relates to Batman… Aes Sedai are not seen as vigilantes, sadly. They can’t get away with doing stuff like that.

I’m not spoiling anything, but there will be plenty of pivotal and bloody moments like the “Red Wedding” later on down the road, trust me.
Ok so they can't make a pencil or pen, did anyone see Dexter? What is the definition of weapon? A tree branch? Bare hands? Who defines what defense of life is? Is it a stand your ground thing, or castle doctrine, or just in a fight, or can you pick a fight then defend yourself, as was mentioned about Rittenhouse? So if anyone asks if their skirt makes their *** look big they MUST say yes, yes it does, or say nothing? How about if someone asks how they are doing and they answer "fine" when really they aren't fine, do they tell everyone all of their troubles? Or if someone asks if they can spare a quarter and they don't want to stop, they say "yes but I am not stopping to give it to you"?

I kid I kid, I know what they intend. Just kind of funny when it is boiled down without much context.

No worries.

It sounds like the show might not be for you, which is fine.
I am giving it a shot. I like fantasy in general but I am pretty anal when it comes to plot devices, deus ex machina and maguffins and the like. It needs to make sense in the larger scheme of things. And I get it is a large sprawling story, and they have to do a lot of exposition, but it does slow down the pace, while at the same time probably not slowing it down enough to really get the necessary details, so until it hits its stride it will be a bit disjointed for those of us who don't already know the story. But I don't mind what I have seen so far, it is worth checking out, imo.

Maybe this is a nitpick, but I'm disappointed in the White Tower.

It feels so... not lived in. Wouldn't have taken more than a couple quick shots to show that this is the home of hundreds and hundreds of women (Aes Sedai, Accepted, Novices) and men (Warders and warders in training). Give the viewers a chance to see what all goes on in the Tower.

Maybe this is a nitpick, but I'm disappointed in the White Tower.

It feels so... not lived in. Wouldn't have taken more than a couple quick shots to show that this is the home of hundreds and hundreds of women (Aes Sedai, Accepted, Novices) and men (Warders and warders in training). Give the viewers a chance to see what all goes on in the Tower.
My wife loves the way it looks though. Like she really wants to go have some tea at the white tower and rent one of the rooms.

Is it just me or is "Moy-rain" a really awkward name. Seems like no one says it the same way twice.

Is it just me or is "Moy-rain" a really awkward name. Seems like no one says it the same way twice.
For all the names if I want to write them here I would have to look them up. I've done it now a few times, but it's not like that's a favorite past time of mine.

As a reader I usually glance over the complicated names and make my own sound as a stand-in for whatever the writer wrote. In context I can tell what the name is and I don't need to (or want to at all) struggle with the pronunciation of a name as I'm reading fiction. I don't think I'm in the top 10% as far as reading speed goes, but I'd guess that I am in the top 20%, and I'm not trying to slow down to mentally pronounce goofy names. I might actually change a name from Golonorfum to something like Glorf in my head as I read something. So there's no way I'd read Egwene and think of that sound. Absolutely zero. That name is Wayne to me as I'm reading that book. I think I'd sub Moraine to Moyra if she's lucky or Mo if she's not. Really helps me not get bogged down as I read things.

Suian was pronounced a couple of different ways last night. Her dad's version sounded more like "swan." In the White Tower, it was "sue ann."

Didn't see the Moirane/Suian plot line coming.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

I’m re-reading the books and had forgotten how much I can’t stand Nynaeve.

Me too. She was my least favorite character and a big reason i stopped reading the books after being about 7 books in.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app