What's new

There is a growing belief in league personnel circles that Utah could move swingman Rodney Hood befo

We're never getting a player like LeBron through free agency. We'd have to develop a LeBron. And beyond that, we'd have to develop a KD, and probably a CP3 just to be in the discussion of luring the best player in the league.

Small markets win through development or player-formulated super teams.

The Jazz have to come to terms with resetting their window by a little bit to lean towards Mitchell's years and not Gobert's. I'm not sold that Rudy is the one to build around right now, but if that's the case, then the Jazz need much, much better wings than Burks/Hood/Ingles.

I am sold on two ball-dominant players that can lean on each other when we need more guys that can create their own shots. Hood can do it, but Kemba can do it better. Neto looks better than Rubio at times. Whatever the case, the Jazz will survive and they're not competing for a title this year.

ESPN suggested this trade of Hood for Kemba. What do yall think?

Utah Jazz
Hornets get: Guards Rodney Hood and Ricky Rubio, forward Derrick Favors, 2018 first-round pick

Jazz get: Guard Kemba Walker, forwards Jeremy Lamb and Marvin Williams

i

View this deal in the ESPN Trade Machine

Utah could offer an intriguing combination of cap flexibility and talent to Charlotte. The Jazz's short-term contracts come attached to quality players; Favors would surely have some value to a third team as a rental in the final season of his deal, while Rodney Hood could be worth re-signing as a restricted free agent.

Would Utah be willing to offer this much given the Jazz are currently five games out of the last playoff spot in the Western Conference? Perhaps not, but this deal would give Utah a compelling alternative to testing free agency this summer, and Williams would be a good fit as a stretch 4 next to Rudy Gobert. A starting lineup of Walker, rookie Donovan Mitchell, Joe Ingles, Williams and Gobert would make the Jazz favorites to return to the playoffs in 2018-19.
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...alker-trades-charlotte-hornets-nba-contenders

Its not my favorite trade idea but I would probably say yes as long as Jazz put a top 10 protection on the pick or maybe even just top 3 just in case we win the lottery.

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...alker-trades-charlotte-hornets-nba-contenders

Its not my favorite trade idea but I would probably say yes as long as Jazz put a top 10 protection on the pick or maybe even just top 3 just in case we win the lottery.

i'd do that
rubio.

kemba> rubio
marv sucks *** but atleast he can sretch the floor a bit, and favors looks like a corpse.
rodney hood is still my guy but im starting to think he doesn't want to be here much longer either

And in 1 year, we might be right back where we are now, facing another lost season to get back in the lottery if Kemba leaves. I don't care where in the lottery the 2018 pick falls; Jazz CAN'T trade it for a player who only has a year left on his contract and will become an UFA. The only chance the Jazz would have at keeping *insert player named here* is to outbid all other teams - translation: max contract. And we all saw how well that worked with Hayward and Hill. One left anyway, the other was very good, but not worth the max and bolted because the Jazz wouldn't overpay.

We can likely get some assets for Favors and Hood and still keep a pick that's going to net a very good player. Everyone picked in the lottery should be starter potential. This draft is loaded with bigs and tall SF's. Chances are we draft BPA AND that player fills a position of need.

Not to mention, a drafted player helps our cap situation to go after free agents in 2018 or 2019.

Last edited:
Is it unreasonable to think we could get Kemba and then do a full court press for LeBron this summer? I know LBJ seems like a joke, but the following roster is top 2 in the NBA for next 5 years:

Kemba, Mitchell, Ingles, LeBron, Gobert
6th man Exum

Defensively, we would be ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Lebron with Harden would be more enticing.

And in 1 year, we just gave up our best chance to get a 3rd piece to complement Rudy and DM. I don't care where in the lottery the 2018 pick falls; Jazz CAN'T trade it for a player who only has a year left on his contract and will become an UFA. The only chance the Jazz would have at keeping *insert player named here* is to outbid all other teams - translation: max contract. And we all saw how well that worked with Hayward and Hill. One left anyway, the other was very good, but not worth the max and bolted because the Jazz wouldn't overpay.

Not allowed to sign an extension as part of trade deal are they? If he was, I'd make that a sticking point part of the deal.

I'll pass on Kemba. Don't love the idea of Kemba + Donovan in the backcourt together. I'd rather give Dante a real run to see if he and Donovan can pair well together in the backcourt.

Hood is a damn valuable player. If we move him, I would expect a good return. A second first-rounder in this draft could be really valuable. If ours is Top 10, packaging it with a second 1st to move into the top 7 could be gold.

Donovan/Kemba backcourt makes me think of Francis/Mobley. It would certainly make us better, but, as someone else said, I think there’s a definite ceiling on it.

Not allowed to sign an extension as part of trade deal are they? If he was, I'd make that a sticking point part of the deal.
Nope. And that was why I hated the Hill trade last year. For DL not to agree on an extension before trading a lottery pick was a major fail.

I have never watched Burks and thought he wasnt trying on defense. Quin has his favorites and needs someone in the doghouse at all times. With Exum injured that duty falls on Burks apparently.

Burks busted his *** on defense all year this year. Improved big time.
I would be curious to know Burks defensive advances stats this season vs past seasons.

He loses focus and messes up rotations, loses sight of his man/the ball, gets beaten off the drible and overall just makes dumb plays on defense

That was his story defensively in previous seasons. Not so much this year though

2. Unless we get lucky with the ping pong balls, no way we have a top 10 pick unless Mitchell goes down.

Utah is sitting at #10 right now, and has the 2nd worst road record in the league. We could probably get a top 10 pick just by standing pat, let alone if we trade away Favors and Hood for building pieces.

I like these announcements... it makes it seem like teams could call about him before and the jazz be like “bruh he hasn’t been made available”. But now they are like “k u can call us now he’s been made available”
It is a leak (not an announcement) intended to get a bidding war started. Pretty standard and effective strategy.

I'll pass on Kemba. Don't love the idea of Kemba + Donovan in the backcourt together. I'd rather give Dante a real run to see if he and Donovan can pair well together in the backcourt.

Hood is a damn valuable player. If we move him, I would expect a good return. A second first-rounder in this draft could be really valuable. If ours is Top 10, packaging it with a second 1st to move into the top 7 could be gold.

Could not disagree more.
Kemba plus Donovan is scary awesome.