What's new

This team needs a makeover

DL didnt want to sign a bunch of 1 year contract mercenaries. That's why he did what he did. He maintained cap flexibility and has good matching contracts for a big trade. It's not his fault players are playing like complete ***. This is the same team that dominated OKC in the first round, the same team that went on a huge run in 2018 for about 4 months and into the playoffs.

If DL went out and signed a bunch of these vets we consider upgrades to our roster for MLE level long term deals, people would be bitching about how we settled for mediocrity and now would never be better than a "insert record/seed/or playoff round exit" team because we wouldnt have cap-room to sign anyone the following year.

What intel do you have that the Jazz could have gotten Mirotic?

The Pelicans gave them a better first round pick and a better contract to take back.

The Jazz could have given their 1st rounder and Burks, but Burks was fully guaranteed this year. Asik, who the Bulls gave up to match, was only partially guaranteed this year.
Asik’s contract was going to take a first to unload. Favors was expiring. Our hang up was that we wouldn’t include a first rounder, and this was pretty well established by pretty much everyone at that time, especially Chicago saying all they wanted was a first rounder. The argument at the time wasn’t if Chicago would take that (they would), it was if it was wise to give up a first round pick for Niko, someone who everyone just said was on a hot streak, and we were all drunk on mid first rounders because we thought the next Donovan was hiding under one.

Asik’s contract was going to take a first to unload. Favors was expiring. Our hang up was that we wouldn’t include a first rounder, and this was pretty well established by pretty much everyone at that time, especially Chicago saying all they wanted was a first rounder. The argument at the time wasn’t if Chicago would take that (they would), it was if it was wise to give up a first round pick for Niko, someone who everyone just said was on a hot streak, and we were all drunk on mid first rounders because we thought the next Donovan was hiding under one.
My point remains (though yes, I forgot about Favors expiring instead of Burks), why would they want our pick over the Pelicans? That's the main piece and they had the better piece.

My point remains (though yes, I forgot about Favors expiring instead of Burks), why would they want our pick over the Pelicans? That's the main piece and they had the better piece.
They didn’t want to take back salary. In any case, NOP was never in the discussion until Boogie’s achilles, and we underestimated how fast the landscape can change. Take the bird in hand.

ETA: also our pick was better at the time.

They didn’t want to take back salary. In any case, NOP was never in the discussion until Boogie’s achilles, and we underestimated how fast the landscape can change. Take the bird in hand.
Asik was a very minuscule salary because of it being partially guaranteed.

Chicago had no reason to rush into any deal. They were going to wait until they got the best possible offer.

I'm not saying I know you are wrong, but I don't think it's a certainty that all the Jazz had to do was offer a 1st/expiring and Chicago says yes.

And people probably don't care because it's the past, but I don't think the Jazz make the playoffs if they trade Favors for Mirotic last year.

What intel do you have that the Jazz could have gotten Mirotic?

The Pelicans gave them a better first round pick and a better contract to take back.

The Jazz could have given their 1st rounder and Burks, but Burks was fully guaranteed this year. Asik, who the Bulls gave up to match, was only partially guaranteed this year.

Mirotic had a no trade clause though, and initially wanted the Jazz. He only waived it after all other possibilities had dried up.

https://www.blogabull.com/2018/1/8/...-is-interested-in-getting-traded-to-utah-jazz

Well that's ****ing stupid.

Jazz possibly beat Houston last year.

Highly doubtful. Houston was extremely good and Jazz were down their starting PG. Do you think the Jazz beat OKC without Favors? Do you think Mirotic helps more than Favors did in that series? I get that Favors is pretty frustrating at times because he doesn't possess the same fire as guys like Gobert, Ingles, Rubio, etc., but he's still good player and can **** on Mirotic when he wants.

Highly doubtful. Houston was extremely good and Jazz were down their starting PG. Do you think the Jazz beat OKC without Favors? Do you think Mirotic helps more than Favors did in that series? I get that Favors is pretty frustrating at times because he doesn't possess the same fire as guys like Gobert, Ingles, Rubio, etc., but he's still good player and can **** on Mirotic when he wants.
There's just a lot of revisionist history going on surrounding Mirotic. He was as inconsistent as Rodney Hood for his entire career, and it looked like that was going to continue after the Pelicans traded for him and he was pretty bad for nearly two months.

He owes a lot to Anthony Davis and playing in a fast-paced system where there isnt as much emphasis on defense. He's playing consistently for the first time in his career now in, wait for it.... a contract year.

Reactions: 8
There's just a lot of revisionist history going on surrounding Mirotic. He was as inconsistent as Rodney Hood for his entire career, and it looked like that was going to continue after the Pelicans traded for him and he was pretty bad for nearly two months.

He owes a lot to Anthony Davis and playing in a fast-paced system where there isnt as much emphasis on defense. He's playing consistently for the first time in his career now in, wait for it.... a contract year.
Agree to disagree. He surely has had ups and downs, but my take on him (then and now) has been consistent and has been regarding his specific skills that we need, namely: 1. volume three point shooting and 2. rebounding. He doesn’t have to shooting well for either of those to have an impact on the floor. Anything else he brings is gravy. His play this year has shown how much gravy there is.

Jazz put on a historic streak to the playoffs last year. The chemistry and Favors were two major factors.

Swapping in Mirotic for Favors and we don't make the playoffs imo.

The Jazz could use more scorers/playmakers. If Mirotic was on the Jazz instead of Favors and the offense was struggling to produce shots then people would pine for Favors.