What's new

Those 2 fouls on Rudy tonight...

Harden flopped so hard on that second foul his fillings came loose.

Interesting read from the HOUSTON CHRONICLE no less.

3. Gobert already had paid his fine. He had gone on a rant about the way things were called for the Heat and not for the Jazz. He brought up a bias against a small market team. He was hit for $15,000 and no one could be surprised.
If he left the arena on Thursday believing the officials were teaching him a lesson few could blame him.
Before a tick could get off the clock, Gobert was called for grabbing Clint Capela's arm on the jump ball, the fastest foul possible in an NBA game. He did seem to reach and make contact, but did not seem to affect Capela at all. Since the Rockets won the tip anyway, calling that seemed the epitome of a 'gotcha' call officials should avoid.
When Gobert picked up his second foul less than three minutes later, his night was about to be over.
Gobert deserved the technical foul he got for sending containers on the scorers' table flying. Officials, however, knew why he was so livid. They knew they had called him for an entirely inconsequential foul almost never called before anyone had time to get sweaty.
If he had said or done something to get the technical foul and then had a tantrum on the scorers' table items, then an ejection would be warranted. But players, stars or otherwise, should not be tossed unless necessary. This was not necessary. Gobert picked up two fouls. He earned his technical. He was heading to the bench. Play on.
Jazz fans, who would boo the call if a Jazz player defended with a swinging two-by-four, could understandably believe that officials were making Gobert pay for his comments. He already paid. Courtney Kirkland did not have to call the foul on the opening tip. He did not have to give Gobert the hook for his technical.
"It was just too demonstrative," lead official Tom Washington said, "and we had to take action on that."
They already did. They gave him a technical foul he deserved. Anything beyond that was excessive, as if making a point officials are not there to make

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

The fouls hurt Houston more than it hurt us. The last thing an opposing away team needs is terrible refereeing to get the home crowd riled up and to add extra adrenaline to the team. That is not what a ref is for

You know why Kirkland needed to goad Rudy into the ejection with those phony fouls? Because he would've needed a chair to butt heads with him.

Interesting read from the HOUSTON CHRONICLE no less.

3. Gobert already had paid his fine. He had gone on a rant about the way things were called for the Heat and not for the Jazz. He brought up a bias against a small market team. He was hit for $15,000 and no one could be surprised.
If he left the arena on Thursday believing the officials were teaching him a lesson few could blame him.
Before a tick could get off the clock, Gobert was called for grabbing Clint Capela's arm on the jump ball, the fastest foul possible in an NBA game. He did seem to reach and make contact, but did not seem to affect Capela at all. Since the Rockets won the tip anyway, calling that seemed the epitome of a 'gotcha' call officials should avoid.
When Gobert picked up his second foul less than three minutes later, his night was about to be over.
Gobert deserved the technical foul he got for sending containers on the scorers' table flying. Officials, however, knew why he was so livid. They knew they had called him for an entirely inconsequential foul almost never called before anyone had time to get sweaty.
If he had said or done something to get the technical foul and then had a tantrum on the scorers' table items, then an ejection would be warranted. But players, stars or otherwise, should not be tossed unless necessary. This was not necessary. Gobert picked up two fouls. He earned his technical. He was heading to the bench. Play on.
Jazz fans, who would boo the call if a Jazz player defended with a swinging two-by-four, could understandably believe that officials were making Gobert pay for his comments. He already paid. Courtney Kirkland did not have to call the foul on the opening tip. He did not have to give Gobert the hook for his technical.
"It was just too demonstrative," lead official Tom Washington said, "and we had to take action on that."
They already did. They gave him a technical foul he deserved. Anything beyond that was excessive, as if making a point officials are not there to make

I was debating this with somebody on the game thread last night. Kicking him out of the game was completely unnecessary. Overall, it makes the refs and NBA look pretty stupid. Gobert will take some shots too, but everyone will point to that first foul to give him a pass for his outburst.

The fact of the matter is this - you shouldn't eject one player for tossing water cups and cussing walking away from the ref and then not even give a tech to a player who gets in the face of a ref using language. Draymond literally throws temper tantrums that don't get techs much less an ejection.

927c628f8222fc7d39eeef83867da8574f77a867_hq.jpg

618235620.jpg

stephen-curry-draymond-green-steve-kerr-getty-ftr-052516_1s1ctpeyhv1dx1ixfhqx1ht0ie.jpg

Harden flopped so hard on that second foul his fillings came loose.

You know why Kirkland needed to goad Rudy into the ejection with those phony fouls? Because he would've needed a chair to butt heads with him.

Did Harden flop, yes, but the second foul was a foul, clearly. In the end the refs won this game for Utah by giving Rudy’s team a reason to rally around him. And did anyone notice that Harden and Paul didn’t get a ton of those calls they usually get. Harden and Paul shot a combined total of 6 ft’s. And there were several times I thought they would call fouls and didn’t. I think this happened because the refs know they jobbed Gobert big time and it’s clear they went out of their way to cover it up by being lenient on the jazz the rest of the game.

I was debating this with somebody on the game thread last night. Kicking him out of the game was completely unnecessary. Overall, it makes the refs and NBA look pretty stupid. Gobert will take some shots too, but everyone will point to that first foul to give him a pass for his outburst.

The fact of the matter is this - you shouldn't eject one player for tossing water cups and cussing walking away from the ref and then not even give a tech to a player who gets in the face of a ref using language. Draymond literally throws temper tantrums that don't get techs much less an ejection.

927c628f8222fc7d39eeef83867da8574f77a867_hq.jpg

618235620.jpg

stephen-curry-draymond-green-steve-kerr-getty-ftr-052516_1s1ctpeyhv1dx1ixfhqx1ht0ie.jpg
Which was Gobert's original point, consistency. The refs have a tough role they are going to make some mistakes, and that is okay. Just be consistent in how the game is called or it undermines the integrity of the game.

First off, Houston proved that they could unlock the Gobert puzzle better than any team we have played to date. They seem to make more runs with Gobert on the floor than when he is off. We have played them lots of times in the last year and Chris Paul and Harden both go straight after Gobert and they both consistently feed Capela lobs every game when Gobert is caught on the pick and roll. Did we just figure out the best way to beat Houston is to use Favors heavily? We were losing when Gobert walked off the court. The rest of the first quarter with Favors on the court we still did not get the calls ('sweep action' call, we ended the quarter with 7 or 8 fouls, Ingles and Rubio took a beating on two non calls), but we took an 9 point lead by the end of the first. I for one will vote for a HEAVY dose of Favors the next two times we play Houston.

Second, the TNT guys all agreed that the tip off WAS NOT a foul. They talked about it multiple times and I think Kenny said 'technically that may be a foul' at one point and there was some level of grunting that may have suggested a foul but after the commercial break they got a different view and they all agree it wasn't even a foul.

Lastly, throwing stuff off the table should get you ejected. Gobert mixed it in with some very heated words. But if Draymond Green did that, if Harden did that, if Chris Paul did that, if Westbrook did that... there may not even be a tech. Some people get away with it, where as others don't. Compare Favor's last 5 techs to Draymond Green's last 5 techs. Draymond's has the devil covering his ears to avoid hearing the pure vile spewing from his mouth and often doesn't get a tech. Favors had a few where he mumbled something in frustration and gives a half look towards the refs from across the court and got teed up. If I were in charge of the refs, I would let them throw a player out for outbreaks like this Gobert's but I would surely enforce consistency on other refs.

absolutely nothing wrong to speak their minds and i wish more players were vocal like rudy. but his temper tantrum was
unprofessional and i felt a little embarassed as a fan
This. As someone with a tendency to pop off, I’ve lived to regret it everytime, and though it felt good in the moment, I was embarrassed by my actions everytime. No one made Gobert act out like that but Gobert. I would’ve liked to see Rudy stick it to the rockets instead.

The jumpball foul was absolutely the refs sending a message to Gobert, and unwarranted, the foul call and tech were. The foul on Harden was a foul, and throwing his tantrum definitely deserved a tech

The foul on the tip shouldn't have been called. The 2nd was indeed a foul; Harden did his job by selling it to make sure it was called. We've all seen Jazz players do that.

As for the ejection, I think it should have just been a regular T, but you can't have players swatting stuff off tables. It's worse than swearing at a ref or slamming the ball down.

Rudy was a baby and he paid for it. Favors came to the rescue in a big way. On to the next...

I agree Harden and Paul didnt get the superstar calls they normally get, especially Harden. I was honestly surprised when Harden got stuffed a few times inside. Makeup non calls?

Funny that Rudy pulled out the driver right in front of the ladies. Rodman-esque move. He goes on a tear after this.

I'm usually against commenting and complaining about the officiating but not in this case, this one is different ... I need the Jazz to go hard after the refs. This **** needs to stop NOW! This is some mafia style hit. Noone can convince me that this is a regular call on the jump ball. This was clearcut demonstrative retaliation for what Gobert said earlier this week. I don't care if they get fined. I want an official statement with Quin's name, with DL's name, with Gail's name on it. The want the organization with all it's power and weight behind Rudy on this one. They need to make it clear that this BS will not be tolerated.