What's new

Those 2 fouls on Rudy tonight...

Yeah, thanks for helping make my case. There are plenty of examples like the one you cited. The league could really be transparent if they wanted to be. They must keep scores on how well the refs do from game to game and watch trends against certain teams or for other teams. This is a multi million dollar industry we are talking about, it the league isn't doing it, the teams are. They don't want that info in the public arena...the closest they come is releasing the last two minute report cards. No public complaining is allowed, retaliation by the refs goes unnoticed, tolerated, or encouraged. The Zen way is to accept reality and bend when the fierce wind is blowing in your face and let it pass.
DL aired the dirty laundry before the playoffs in 2017 on Woj's podcast. The public only gets the last 2 minutes reports, but the teams get reports for the full games and not just the close games but all games. They keep track of games in which one team has been disadvantaged 5 or more times more than the opponents(the wrong call going against the team) in a single game and the numbers were something preposterous like... like 100-15* against the Jazz in the span of those last 2 seasons.

DL played it off as the Jazz trying to figure out why that was happening. He said he didn't think the NBA are doing it on purposes or that it's biased and they thought that it might be style related (the things that the Jazz do get called inaccurately more often rather than the things most other teams do - for example, Jazz system has lots of movement off ball and they thought this is part of it because a lot of the inaccurately called fouls were on plays like that). BTW this might be one of the reasons the Jazz were one of the teams pushing for more emphasis on freedom of movement. For what it's worth I'm on the same page - I don't think it's an explicit bias or targeted treatment by refs most of the time. But I do think IT WAS THIS TIME specifically.

*Edit: Just checked the exact number - 72 to 12.

Here's Tim Donaghy explaining how refs would target Iverson for weeks after Iverson threatened a ref in a game and it was widely known among refs that this is what the whole reffing community will be doing and he even bet on games involving Iverson because he knew that the refs will be screwing him over. Even their supervisors were in on it and were laughing their *** off at half time about how the ref he was supposed to supervise was calling the game vs Iverson:

Noone from Washington said anything last year about Morris getting shafted for weeks after his fine and nobody said anything about the Iverson thing when it was happening. This is the reason I think there needs to be firm statement and drawing attention to it - because if you don't they will just keep screwing him over and the team. The refs need to know that their paychecks are on the line here. Either do your job or get the **** out of the league. We don't need vindictive assholes ruining the game and screwing up with players. People are not paying for league pass to watch the refs screw around with the stars in the league because of a comment in the media. Gobert made a comment against the rules and was reprimanded for it. Leave it at that. I have no problem with that. The last thing Silver and the NBA need is a media war with an NBA team about a situation that the public is overwhelmingly on the side of the team and the player.

Last edited:
DL aired the dirty laundry before the playoffs in 2017 on Woj's podcast. The public only gets the last 2 minutes reports, but the teams get reports for the full games and not just the close games but all games. They keep track of games in which one team has been disadvantaged 5 or more times more than the opponents(the wrong call going against the team) in a single game and the numbers were something preposterous like... like 100-15* against the Jazz in the span of those last 2 seasons.

DL played it off as the Jazz trying to figure out why that was happening. He said he didn't think the NBA are doing it on purposes or that it's biased and they thought that it might be style related (the things that the Jazz do get called inaccurately more often rather than the things most other teams do - for example, Jazz system has lots of movement off ball and they thought this is part of it because a lot of the inaccurately called fouls were on plays like that). BTW this might be one of the reasons the Jazz were one of the teams pushing for more emphasis on freedom of movement. For what it's worth I'm on the same page - I don't think it's an explicit bias or targeted treatment by refs most of the time. But I do think IT WAS THIS TIME specifically.

*Edit: Just checked the exact number - 72 to 12.
Thanks for the info! I'm glad they are keeping track. Great post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

For those of you saying Rudy's second foul was legit, go rewatch it, then watch the no call where Harden shoves Rubio with 4:53 in the first quarter.

Rudy was targeted on both calls. Plain and simple. Nobody will convince me otherwise.

I always have been proud of this projection of mine:

When I watched Gobert in the summer league, I thought he was gonna cut Kanter. I really really wonder if he could if he was given enough time on the court. I love his fire. He has a fitting personality to his size and role. And I think he is not a rookie's mind. Not acting goofy like Kanter. So there's that. I hope he gets at least 20-25 range this season.

I hear you. And while I agree it would feel great to let them have it, I don't see that as a winning strategy. You can't fight city hall man, and in this case it would just back fire on us. "Better to be happy, than right," Grandpa used to say. Take the high road on this one. Swallow our pride and accept the punishment.

I would not be against sending a quiet letter to the league, but no grand standing, public rebuke or confrontation. The league has all the power here, just look at how much good Cuban's complaining did the Mavs. I don't think there has ever been a confrontation over officiating that went in the team, coach, or players' way.
You mean the championship? Seems like it worked out pretty well. Ever noticed that his involvement in the league pretty much evaporated after they won the chip? Hush rings maybe?

Keep staying quiet. I bet this thing will pass... in like... a month or two... or a year... Getting screwed in the meantime and alienating your best player is a great idea too..

You mean the championship? Seems like it worked out pretty well. Ever noticed that his involvement in the league pretty much evaporated after they won the chip? Hush rings maybe?

LOL
c'mon man. Are you saying the league decided to favor the Mavs? Because of Cuban? That's a stretch.

yeah the Zen master was subtle though, he would make snarky half veiled comments true. He also had the best teams. So there's that.
So probably his complaining about calls and less about Jordan/Pippen, Shaq/Kobe...

LOL
c'mon man. Are you saying the league decided to favor the Mavs? Because of Cuban? That's a stretch.
You need to check your sarcasm meter. Plus this was pretty much when Cuban decided to shut up. Coincidence? Correlation? Or causation? Hmm, tough to say.

You need to check your sarcasm meter. Plus this was pretty much when Cuban decided to shut up. Coincidence? Correlation? Or causation? Hmm, tough to say.
Tbh
I don't really follow Mavs bb, or Cuban's schemes and shenanigans so you might be right about there being some correlation.

Last edited:
Did you see the kinds of calls Jordan/Pippen, Shaq/Kobe got?
It has always been a stars league. I just hope DM starts getting those calls.

I don't think Jordan or Kobe got more calls than Harden gets. If anything, they got less because of the recent tightening of the rules.