What's new

Those 2 fouls on Rudy tonight...

I don't know if Gobert did this intentionally combined with the fire he was feeling.
I do know at times Sloan would blow up intentionally and I know he once did this and got ejected, all to fire up the team.
It can be a tool if used properly, sparingly.

I'm usually against commenting and complaining about the officiating but not in this case, this one is different ... I need the Jazz to go hard after the refs. This **** needs to stop NOW! This is some mafia style hit. Noone can convince me that this is a regular call on the jump ball. This was clearcut demonstrative retaliation for what Gobert said earlier this week. I don't care if they get fined. I want an official statement with Quin's name, with DL's name, with Gail's name on it. The want the organization with all it's power and weight behind Rudy on this one. They need to make it clear that this BS will not be tolerated.

I hear you. And while I agree it would feel great to let them have it, I don't see that as a winning strategy. You can't fight city hall man, and in this case it would just back fire on us. "Better to be happy, than right," Grandpa used to say. Take the high road on this one. Swallow our pride and accept the punishment.

I would not be against sending a quiet letter to the league, but no grand standing, public rebuke or confrontation. The league has all the power here, just look at how much good Cuban's complaining did the Mavs. I don't think there has ever been a confrontation over officiating that went in the team, coach, or players' way.

I don't know if Gobert did this intentionally combined with the fire he was feeling.
I do know at times Sloan would blow up intentionally and I know he once did this and got ejected, all to fire up the team.
It can be a tool if used properly, sparingly.
Gobert did not get intentionally tossed in order to fire up the team. That's a silly thing to suggest. A coach doing something like that vs a player doing something like that (especially a star), are completely different things. And why would Gobert think his team needed to be fired up in that circumstance, or that getting thrown out would do the trick, anyway? Use a little logic, please.

I hear you. And while I agree it would feel great to let them have it, I don't see that as a winning strategy. You can't fight city hall man, and in this case it would just back fire on us. "Better to be happy, than right," Grandpa used to say. Take the high road on this one. Swallow our pride and accept the punishment.

I would not be against sending a quiet letter to the league, but no grand standing, public rebuke or confrontation. The league has all the power here, just look at how much good Cuban's complaining did the Mavs. I don't think there has ever been a confrontation over officiating that went in the team, coach, or players' way.
This is already out of control. This is not the first time something like this has happened. Last year one of the Morris twins had a similar situation where he criticized the refs after a game and then was targeted repeatedly by the refs for weeks after. I don't know what the best course of action is. You might be right... maybe doing it away from the media but still filing complaint against this crew. I am just not sure doing nothing is the path to choose either.

Second, the TNT guys all agreed that the tip off WAS NOT a foul. They talked about it multiple times and I think Kenny said 'technically that may be a foul' at one point and there was some level of grunting that may have suggested a foul but after the commercial break they got a different view and they all agree it wasn't even a foul.

My understanding is that it was technically a foul, but it never gets called at the NBA level, and by "not a foul" they meant 'not a foul that should be called in an NBA game'. They even said that there was the option of calling it some type of non-foul non-foul violation and awarding Houston the ball.

Getting very tired of Jazz fan and player victim mentality. Rudy bitches about a lot of fouls that he clearly commits.

Refs are going to make some bad calls. Many calls are highly subjective and hard to get correct. If the refs get 80% of the calls correct, that is a great record. Harder to get a call right than to make a free throw, don't you think?

Let's stop the paranoia

For me the refs have to be impartial.

This story of small market, big market or All-star calls should not exist!

Getting very tired of Jazz fan and player victim mentality. Rudy bitches about a lot of fouls that he clearly commits.

Refs are going to make some bad calls. Many calls are highly subjective and hard to get correct. If the refs get 80% of the calls correct, that is a great record. Harder to get a call right than to make a free throw, don't you think?

Let's stop the paranoia

Putting last night aside for a moment, I actually agree with this in part.

Rudy hangs in the back court and complains about non-calls while play is in progress way too much.

Gobert did not get intentionally tossed in order to fire up the team. That's a silly thing to suggest. A coach doing something like that vs a player doing something like that (especially a star), are completely different things. And why would Gobert think his team needed to be fired up in that circumstance, or that getting thrown out would do the trick, anyway? Use a little logic, please.
That's a silly way to respond to my post.
Do I think Gobert did what he did to fire up the team, probably not but I think his reactions to what is going on is more planned out than reactionary.
He sees what's going on, doesn't like it, and is fighting it in a way he wants to. It does send a message to his teammates that he's not just going to sit there and take whatever injustice he feels he's receiving.

Sloan full on did that, I used it as an example of it being used, but was not saying Gobert is doing what Sloan did.

I'm just saying it's a tool that can, and is used at times in various ways.

That whistle happened so fast too... that ref knew exactly what he was doing. Sucks that Rudy fell for it and got pissed off to the point of ejection... which he probably deserved. At least he brought attention to it. I’ve long been a “you can’t fine the refs like you do the players” but a game check here I wouldn’t be opposed to. Players can be petty but officials can’t hold grudges by nature of their job.

You don't know for sure that Rudy hasn't thought about creating a huge ruckus to point out the ref's bias.

It was perfect really. By the way Rudy reacted it backfired on them. If he would have kept his cool there wouldn't have been this big of a ruckus. ****ers.

This is already out of control. This is not the first time something like this has happened. Last year one of the Morris twins had a similar situation where he criticized the refs after a game and then was targeted repeatedly by the refs for weeks after. I don't know what the best course of action is. You might be right... maybe doing it away from the media but still filing complaint against this crew. I am just not sure doing nothing is the path to choose either.

Yeah, thanks for helping make my case. There are plenty of examples like the one you cited. The league could really be transparent if they wanted to be. They must keep scores on how well the refs do from game to game and watch trends against certain teams or for other teams. This is a multi million dollar industry we are talking about, it the league isn't doing it, the teams are. They don't want that info in the public arena...the closest they come is releasing the last two minute report cards. No public complaining is allowed, retaliation by the refs goes unnoticed, tolerated, or encouraged. The Zen way is to accept reality and bend when the fierce wind is blowing in your face and let it pass.