What's new

Thoughts and Prayers

I do think a good first step is requiring a person to be at least 21 to purchase a semi-auto rifle (you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer). You should also have to be 21 to buy from an unlicensed/private party. Magazine restrictions are a good idea too.

Guns are so pervasive in this country, that I don't even think an outright ban will stop mass shootings (and may cause revolt). I do think we can put meaningful rules and restrictions in place that will stop some shootings.
So somebody posted a statistics that even trained police officers in critical situations are able to hit intended targets in only 18% of their shots. You all gun lovers tell me is it worth having a gun for self defense when your odds at hitting the target are so pathetically low? And please do not tell me you are better shooters then police officers.
But maybe that is the reason you guys want AR-15's and other high capacity weapons... maybe that 1 bullet from 30 you will spray will hit it lol.

That's why a shotgun is the best gun for home defense.

I do think a good first step is requiring a person to be at least 21 to purchase a semi-auto rifle (you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer). You should also have to be 21 to buy from an unlicensed/private party. Magazine restrictions are a good idea too.

Guns are so pervasive in this country, that I don't even think an outright ban will stop mass shootings (and may cause revolt). I do think we can put meaningful rules and restrictions in place that will stop some shootings.

That's why a shotgun is the best gun for home defense.

Would those changes have helped in preventing the Las Vegas shooting? IMO you can be over 21 and can still be VERY dangerous.

My suggestion would be:

1. Limit Guns owned per person
Why can't there be a limit on how many guns 1 person can have? If the logic behind owning guns is primarily self protection (based on the Second Amendment), then how do you justify having no limit on the number of guns you can own? To me having 10+ guns is one of those 'doing more harm than good' situation.

2. Ban semi-automatic
Also do you really need a semi-automatic to protect yourself? Again, to me it's one of those 'it can do more harm than good' category.

3. More in dept background checks & a longer wait period
Self explanatory

I think those 3 things alone could go a long way towards stopping some of these mass shooting.

I know. There were hundreds of thousands of deaths last year from drunk driving. Does that stop me or you from driving?

I was simply saying that everyone always says “that would never happen to me or my family. I’m always safe and I educate my kids and I would never take safety for granted” and things like that.
No matter how safe you are there is always a possibility of serious danger when guns are involved. Even the safest gun owners occasionally make mistakes and have accidents.

Just trying to give a friendly reminder to never get complacent or cocky with an attitude of that would never happen to me.

I know. There were hundreds of thousands of deaths last year from drunk driving. Does that stop me or you from driving?

Difference being that I think all of us are humble enough and realistic enough to know driving accidents could happen to any of us.

With guns I often see an attitude of some gun owners thinking that the safety practices they use handling guns eliminate the possibility of someone getting shot. Even trained professionals (including friendly fire in the military) make mistakes.

Difference being that I think all of us are humble enough and realistic enough to know driving accidents could happen to any of us.

With guns I often see an attitude of some gun owners thinking that the safety practices they use handling guns eliminate the possibility of someone getting shot. Even trained professionals (including friendly fire in the military) make mistakes.

I think many people drink and drive with the same attitude. They have a better tolerance, etc. To me, killing someone when you drive drunk is not an "accident".

I was simply saying that everyone always says “that would never happen to me or my family. I’m always safe and I educate my kids and I would never take safety for granted” and things like that.
No matter how safe you are there is always a possibility of serious danger when guns are involved. Even the safest gun owners occasionally make mistakes and have accidents.

Just trying to give a friendly reminder to never get complacent or ****y with an attitude of that would never happen to me.

I know dude. Don’t think I was trying to downplay what you’re saying, or that I was being rude or whatever. I was simply pointing out another risk we all take. Guns, and the use of them, involve a certain risk. But I’m willing to take it.

I know dude. Don’t think I was trying to downplay what you’re saying, or that I was being rude or whatever. I was simply pointing out another risk we all take. Guns, and the use of them, involve a certain risk. But I’m willing to take it.

Fair enough. As to your car comparison though, not having a car or not using a vehicle (bus, uber, etc) just isn’t really realistic or do able.
It’s difficult to survive today without some form of transportation.

Would be very very very hard to live without transportation.
Living without a gun is quite easy. I don’t see the two things as apples to apples or even close.

205a9fb_zpsxbgzwcxh.jpeg

Fair enough. As to your car comparison though, not having a car or not using a vehicle (bus, uber, etc) just isn’t really realistic or do able.
It’s difficult to survive today without some form of transportation.

Would be very very very hard to live without transportation.
Living without a gun is quite easy. I don’t see the two things as apples to apples or even close.

Life as we know it would be impossible without cars, from the simple position of public health if we went back to horses, the disease spread by mountains of horse **** would kill many more thousands than car accidents and related pollution. Mean while, 35 years no gun, still keeping on keeping on.

Reactions: MVP
Stuff like this just drives me crazy. There is no middle ground anymore, everyone has to be as far left or right as possible. Hey genius, if you had a gun, you could shoot back at the guy with the "Machine Gun" that is actually a semi automatic rifle is the easiest response to a stupid comment above. This isn't going to make any difference.

We should ban "machine guns" and high capacity "clips" and the anti-gun crowd could feel like they won. Meanwhile Semi-auto rifles and 30 round magazines would still be available to the pro-gun crowd. WIN/WIN

Kudos to Dick's Sporting Goods.

Kudos for what? They haven't sold "assault" type rifles since 2013. Seems like they are trying to get some publicity for doing very little. After Sandy Hook, as you may recall, there was a rumor the shooter purchased the gun from Dick's. Dick's quickly removed all semi-auto rifles from their store, and publicly said so. They haven't sold semi-auto rifles since. If they really want to make a statement, they would stop selling all semi-autos, including handguns. Handguns account for the majority of shooting deaths in this country, including the most deaths in mass shootings. The media grasps on to "assault rifle" and repeats it over and over after these highly publicized mass shootings, when the reality is that many/most mass and non-mass shooting murders involved handguns. And if there is a ban on "assault" rifles, these crazy loonies will just get handguns and shotguns.

_98130217_gun_used_murders_640-nc.png

Watch-Crime-Happen_asset8.png
new_guns_630_0228.png

Reactions: MVP
Kudos for what? They haven't sold "assault" type rifles since 2013. Seems like they are trying to get some publicity for doing very little. After Sandy Hook, as you may recall, there was a rumor the shooter purchased the gun from Dick's. Dick's quickly removed all semi-auto rifles from their store, and publicly said so. They haven't sold semi-auto rifles since. If they really want to make a statement, they would stop selling all semi-autos, including handguns. Handguns account for the majority of shooting deaths in this country, including the most deaths in mass shootings. The media grasps on to "assault rifle" and repeats it over and over after these highly publicized mass shootings, when the reality is that many/most mass and non-mass shooting murders involved handguns. And if there is a ban on "assault" rifles, these crazy loonies will just get handguns and shotguns.

_98130217_gun_used_murders_640-nc.png

Watch-Crime-Happen_asset8.png
new_guns_630_0228.png

They also removed “assault type” rifles from their Field & Stream stores. They also raised the age to buy any firearm to 21. They’re taking their stance. Good for them.