What's new

Thoughts on Hayward

It is hard to completely judge how a player will work out in the long run after only three games But I am an impatient fan so here is what I think his pros and cons are.

Pros:
* Can handle the ball well in traffic
* Is patient on fast breaks and doesn't plow over opponents
* Surprises people with his ability to block shots
* Can run the floor well on the break when he gets his steam up
* Seems like a good passer
* Has good fundamental bball skills
* Can move well without the ball(even though he's not where he's supposed to be sometimes)

Cons:
* Can't hit an open shot from 15 and out
* His shooting mechanics doesn't give the ball much arch
* Has trouble defending stronger and quicker players
* Has trouble with defending the cross over dribble
* Hesitant to drive in traffic
* Looks small on the court even though he's 6'8ish
* Does not have explosive leaping ability and gets his shot blocked easily

I think he will improve his shooting because he seems like a hard worker. Only time will tell if he will make it in the league.

Everyone needs to stop criticizing Hayward for a minute.. At 20 years old, anything positive he does should be seen as a plus. Instead people are on here nitpicking and saying he looks intimidated out there and he should take more shots etc. The fact that Sloan has gone to him consistently at 20 years old in his FIRST 3 games shows me that not only does he bring something to the table, he also has a GREAT work ethic. So what we know is Hayward has talent AND a good work ethic.. I'm very excited about what I've seen from him. If he keeps working hard, he could be a very good player and exactly the wing we have been missing since Hornacek. I cannot believe some of the people on here expecting him to play like a veteran when he hasn't even played a handful of games.

another wasted pick. Kid is out of his league, doesnt have the body and persoanlly i cant stand guys who fake bake.. He belongs in wnba. Paul george ,cole aldrich, luke babbit, all would have been players. Wow he hustles. Wow i ve also seen him blow layups and get beat down on defense. If he wasnt white all here would see him asa bust. Kirk synder is twice the playr he ever will be

You are an idiot. Luke Babbit sucks. Cole Aldrich would have done jack **** for us.

You've seen him blow layups and get beat down on defense? Holy ****, I've seen Kobe Bryant blow layups and get beat down on defense!! Hayward is going to be the next Kobe!!!

You've been hating on this kid since we drafted him, and are just too much of a hardass to admit how wrong you were. Embarrassing.

Due to Hayward's discommodious asseocarnisanguineoviscericartilaginonervomedullary, his injury predisposition will result a lot of summer time spent in aequeosalinocalcalinosetaceoaluminosocupreovitriolic. I'm aporetic eating Lopado*temacho*selacho*galeo*kranio*leipsano*drim*hypo*trimmato*silphio*parao*melito*katakechy*meno*kichl*epi*kossypho*phatto*perister*alektryon*opte*kephallio*kigklo*peleio*lagoio*siraio*baphe*tragano*pterygon wouldn't net the necessary weight gain.

This.

Hayward was an obvious choice for the Jazz. Young, white, boyish features, tall. .. but seriously. He is still waiting for his shot to come, but he is a very **smart** player and one who puts forth effort to play hard. He will not end up an all-star, but a solid role player nonetheless.

if hes 6'8 then im 7'4..He looks to be 6'4 maybe 6'5 tops below average athlete or and when ur guarding2s and 3s in the league u betta be an above average athlete

Aldrich actually looked pretty decent. But when you get a lottery pick, you usually expect an impact player, not a decent role player. Where is his 43% from 3 as a Soph?

Miles is still frustrating to watch at times and he is 23. You need to give Hayward 2 years, not 2 games. Right now you just have to live with his nerves or whatever you call it. Atleast he does'nt look like Snyder or Humphries thus far. Lets hope for the best

wow miles is only 23:S.

damm i better jump back on the miles bandwagon. thought he was an old man. more 27-28

I think most forget that Hayward is the only lottery player that didnt go to a crap team. This means all his general stats will be down all year long. He wont be spoon fed field goal attempts and forgiven for retarded rookie mistakes. We cant expect him to make 10 ppg because he wont be offered 5 shots per game. If Hayward plays hard defense and keeps leaning the little aspects of NBA basketball like setting screens, when to switch, proper off ball defense then in three years when he matures he will be head over heels above his classmates. We are groming Hayward to fill an important role on our team, not be the focus point like eight other players taken infront of him.

I agree with this too. Good post. If the Jazz didn't already have several established players, including CJ Miles, they might have gone after a shooter like George or Xavier Henry, both of whom should be good offensive players. I think the Jazz really did want to get an impact big like Cousins or Favors (who would look like superstars playing off of Williams and Kirilenko), but that opportunity wasn't there in this draft. Hayward will probably always be that complementary type player, like a Bobby Jones, who can do a bit of everything and hopefully hit some big shots. What Hayward does give the Jazz is another big guard who can handle the ball, see the bigger picture, make the right pass at the right time, and help set up other players. He could potentially take some pressure off D. Will without getting overpowered on the defensive end.

if hes 6'8 then im 7'4..He looks to be 6'4 maybe 6'5 tops below average athlete or and when ur guarding2s and 3s in the league u betta be an above average athlete

Well he measured out better than that at the combine before the draft. Hayward isn't explosive, but he moves efficiently and is well coordinated. He's not going to dunk over people, but he'll be a player who has a knack for being in the right place at the right time.