What's new

THT Shooting Woes Continue

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
2024 Award Winner
I think we all can agree THT has improved as a passer and playmaker but there is still one major problem with his game.

His TS% this year is 49.1% (not kidding) which ranks at the bottom of the entire league.

That is a career worst for him and despite taking the most FGA attempts per game in his career he is still only shooting 31.8% from 3 and 47.4% from 2.

How good of a player could he be if he knew his offensive scoring limitations?

Seriously though, when you consider both Clarkson's and THT's offensive efficiency, the Jazz might have the worst starting backcourt in the league. We're probably right there with Portland and Memphis.

THT play for long enough in the league to be worry he may never be a good shooter....but he improve a lot on the others aspects of the game. And he is still our best option for PG ( i know it mean we are not that good...)

With how bad his shooting has been with Clarkson to start the season it is wild we have even those two wins. MEM does not almost count bc that team is in crisis lol... and the other win was the frontcourt showdown.

Let's humor this dumb topic with actual reasoning and context:

THT has been shooting it well in most game this season
He had two dumpers and he isn't getting to the FT line at all, the latter of which is the main reason for his low TS%.

Fun THT Stat of the Day:

Did you know that he's 42nd in the entire NBA in touches? Nobody else on the Jazz is even close. Here's a selection of little-known players who are also lower down on the list:

Pascal Siakam
Malcolm Brogdon
Zach LaVine
Marcus Smart
Paul George
Zion Williamson
Paolo Banchero
Anfernee Simons
Draymond Green
Keldon Johnson
DeMar DeRozan
Kawhi Leonard
Jerami Grant
Jimmy Butler
Kyle Kuzma
Karl-Anthony Towns
Jordan Poole
Eric Gordon
Malik Monk
Jaylen Brown
Jrue Holiday
Immanuel Quickley

You get the point.

I decided to ruin my weekend by also looking at how the Jazz players receiving rotation minutes fare at a bunch of stats related to touches. Time of Possession, Average Seconds Per Touch, Average Dribbles Per Touch... you guessed it, THT is always right at the top. But there's one exception: Points Per Touch.

He's dead last.

Fun THT Stat of the Day:

Did you know that he's 42nd in the entire NBA in touches? Nobody else on the Jazz is even close. Here's a selection of little-known players who are also lower down on the list:

Pascal Siakam
Malcolm Brogdon
Zach LaVine
Marcus Smart
Paul George
Zion Williamson
Paolo Banchero
Anfernee Simons
Draymond Green
Keldon Johnson
DeMar DeRozan
Kawhi Leonard
Jerami Grant
Jimmy Butler
Kyle Kuzma
Karl-Anthony Towns
Jordan Poole
Eric Gordon
Malik Monk
Jaylen Brown
Jrue Holiday
Immanuel Quickley

You get the point.

I decided to ruin my weekend by also looking at how the Jazz players receiving rotation minutes fare at a bunch of stats related to touches. Time of Possession, Average Seconds Per Touch, Average Dribbles Per Touch... you guessed it, THT is always right at the top. But there's one exception: Points Per Touch.

He's dead last.
That's so crazy. The PG touches the ball the most? Wow. You're really doing the important work here.

That's so crazy. The PG touches the ball the most? Wow. You're really doing the important work here.

That's not the point. THT "gets" a lot more touches (and holds the ball more) than many actual, productive stars who are the offensive centerpoints of their teams. And there's tons of guys getting less touches who are either true point guards or have practical playmaking roles on their teams, regardless of position.

And even if we ignore that argument – the idea that it's only natural for Talen Horton-Tucker to be in constant control of the ball on this team is insane. He's not a good point guard AND our offense should be based on ball movement anyway, not 1-on-1 dribbling.

Seriously though, when you consider both Clarkson's and THT's offensive efficiency, the Jazz might have the worst starting backcourt in the league. We're probably right there with Portland and Memphis.
I think it's the worst with a bullet, are we accounting for injuries and suspensions? Jazz have all their guys right now.

Bane counts as backcourt right? 10x better than any guard the Jazz have, and Ja suspended.

Portland has Scoot, Sharpe, and Simons, Jazz don't have anyone near as interesting as any of those three.

Are there better candidates than those two teams? Wizards? Spurs? I think every single team had a backcourt player who we would take over our rotation, probably two.

I think it's the worst with a bullet, are we accounting for injuries and suspensions? Jazz have all their guys right now.

Bane counts as backcourt right? 10x better than any guard the Jazz have, and Ja suspended.

Portland has Scoot, Sharpe, and Simons, Jazz don't have anyone near as interesting as any of those three.

Are there better candidates than those two teams? Wizards? Spurs? I think every single team had a backcourt player who we would take over our rotation, probably two.

Keyonte has as much potential as Bane and Simons. He's just young and needs a couple years.